winter sib modifications

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

winter sib modifications

Post by kaman » 26 Feb 2016, 23:01

It's been a long wet and dreary and windy winter.
My Sib has been patiently poised under cover on my driveway awaiting it's first dip of 2016.

Yes I know some on here have been going out all winter but I've got my winter pursuits to keep me busy (shooting and walking).

I find other activities more enjoyable than freezing my nads off in a Sib during the winter months.

Other than installing a fixed VHF radio I've started to set about installing a manual bilge pump to my transom to drain the water from under the aluminium floor (inspired by nuts and bolts of The Gurnard ).
This pump will serve to drain away water after washing out as well as whilst I am aboard during sibbing jollies.

Not being keen on drilling yet more holes in my transom I've decided to attach the pump to the existing wooden mounting boards see pic.
This board is held on the transom with the factory fitted eyebolt (bolt permanently sikaflexed and bolted in position)- I have widened the starboard mounting board by 3 inches to accomodate the pump next to the sib tube.
The one eye bolt holds my duct tape wrapped wooden board solidly to the transom - the bottom of the board sits tight against the aluminium transom runner which holds the aluminium floor in place - this stops the mounting board from rotating side to side whilst the eye bolt clamps it against the transom.

The fishing rod holder (pictured) will be moved towards the centre of the sib by a few inches.
Got to finalise things once I get the outboard engine out of the garage and on the transom for its oil change.
I will post up pics once the job is complete.

Maybe then all this waffle will make sense :party .
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-02-26-23-13-43-1.png
Screenshot_2016-01-10-01-09-24-2.png

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: winter sib modifications

Post by Stray » 27 Feb 2016, 10:29

Looking good, I've got a couple of those rod holders that I want to attach to the F-rib, preferably without screwing into the transom. I'll have to get my thinking cap on.

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: winter sib modifications

Post by kaman » 07 Mar 2016, 13:41

Finally got around to fitting my manual bilge pump.
I had to modify the suction end to take a smaller pipe which goes under the aluminium floor.
It's a powerful old beast and as someone famously said in a movie "Could suck a golf ball through a garden hose"!
20160307_120800-1.jpg
Mounted to removable transom block


The block mounts to the transom via the M12 stainless eyebolt.
Attachments
20160307_120828-1.jpg
M12 bolt onto which transom block mounts via stainless eyelets

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: winter sib modifications

Post by kaman » 07 Mar 2016, 13:56

Transom block mounted
20160307_121332-1.jpg
Attachments
20160307_121525-1.jpg
20160307_120851-1.jpg
20160307_120828-1-1.jpg

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: winter sib modifications

Post by kaman » 07 Mar 2016, 14:04

As can be seen from the pics the drain plug is around 20 - 25mm from the bottom of the Sib floor.
The bilge pump will serve two purposes.

1 Pumping water out of the sib whilst underway on the water (water always runs to the rear when sib is moving - hence accumulates at transom under the floor where pump siphon is situated )

2 Pumping out the remaining water from under the floor after a wash down.

Cheap and cheerful mod and best of all no more drill holes in the transom.

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: winter sib modifications

Post by Paul » 08 Mar 2016, 21:44

Nice mod mate and very beneficial to those with ally and inflatable floors/hulls :TY
I think I'm going to 'nick' your mounting solution to the transom with use of 'wing nuts' so I'll be able to position the pump for transportation and when it's needed just dismount it to bail water from the 3 hull sections of the F-Rib.
:cheers

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: winter sib modifications

Post by Andy B » 08 Mar 2016, 21:47

I'm sure I've got a bulge pump like that somewhere in my magic Box'O'Bits...

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: winter sib modifications

Post by Paul » 08 Mar 2016, 21:51

First 'dibs' here.......but won't you be wanting it for yourself Andy :idea:

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: winter sib modifications

Post by Andy B » 08 Mar 2016, 22:00

Paul wrote:First 'dibs' here.......but won't you be wanting it for yourself Andy :idea:
Sorry, yes I will.
Unless I can get mosses to christen then boat for me :D

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: winter sib modifications

Post by kaman » 08 Mar 2016, 22:26

Paul wrote:Nice mod mate and very beneficial to those with ally and inflatable floors/hulls :TY
I think I'm going to 'nick' your mounting solution to the transom with use of 'wing nuts' so I'll be able to position the pump for transportation and when it's needed just dismount it to bail water from the 3 hull sections of the F-Rib.
:cheers

Hi Paul I got the idea of the pump from the Nuts and bolts of The Gurnard thread - just incorporated it to my existing fishing rod holders which are going strong after 5 years of use.
I had been using a little oil syphon pump tie wrapped to the existing fishing rod holder mount (5 quid ebay) - it was crud but did the job - eventually.
After wearing out 3 in 2 years I decided to splash out and buy a bigger more durable pump as linked to in Gurnard's thread.
It really does suck well and bail the water like a champ

In fact if you reverse it Andy you could use it to blow up and repair some of the worn out appliances from your box o tricks :rofl :party
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-03-08-22-20-41-1.png

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”