I have just knocked up some supports with a 40mm length of waste tube so that the rainwater runs off the cover of the boat.
It does not cover the tubes completely as you can see, this cover is from Boatworld.
The boat is being kept outside all year so is it important that the tubes be covered completely to protect them.
The Elling 350 is 3.5 mts long & 170cm wide to the outside of the tubes.
If it is important to cover the boat completely have you any recommendation of the type of cover and size I would need or tarpoulin type cover do.
Rain Support for boat cover
-
Sibfisher
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
- Boat Make: Elling KB 350
- Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Tui, Spain
- Has thanked: 113 times
- Been thanked: 95 times
Rain Support for boat cover
- These users thanked the author Sibfisher for the post:
- ChrisParish (12 Aug 2020, 20:16)
-
Alan
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 29 Jun 2018, 13:18
- Boat Make: F-Rib 375
- Outboard: 2018 Mercury 20 HP Short Shaft
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Farmington Hill Michigan USA
- Has thanked: 7 times
- Been thanked: 40 times
Re: Rain Support for boat cover
Hey Sibfisher
I bought an oversized cover for my f-rib 375 and made a surprising discovery the other day. The boat was on the beach with my outboard, bow cover and bimini top in the stowed position (leaning on the motor) when a rain storm rolled in. I garbed the cover and unrolled it over the boat. Unfortunately I unrolled it from bow to stern with the cover going the opposite. As it was starting to rain I simple pulled it over the tubes and motor the way it was. The bow tip of the cover pulled over the motor great and everything appeared to be covered. After the rain I noticed that the cover created a perfect tent with no supports required. When I recovered the boat again on last Monday I intentional put it on backwards as a test. I will let you know how it works the second time after the weekend with pictures. I do not recommend this for most boats but at least initially it worked for my combination of f-rib components.
I bought an oversized cover for my f-rib 375 and made a surprising discovery the other day. The boat was on the beach with my outboard, bow cover and bimini top in the stowed position (leaning on the motor) when a rain storm rolled in. I garbed the cover and unrolled it over the boat. Unfortunately I unrolled it from bow to stern with the cover going the opposite. As it was starting to rain I simple pulled it over the tubes and motor the way it was. The bow tip of the cover pulled over the motor great and everything appeared to be covered. After the rain I noticed that the cover created a perfect tent with no supports required. When I recovered the boat again on last Monday I intentional put it on backwards as a test. I will let you know how it works the second time after the weekend with pictures. I do not recommend this for most boats but at least initially it worked for my combination of f-rib components.
-
Sibfisher
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
- Boat Make: Elling KB 350
- Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Tui, Spain
- Has thanked: 113 times
- Been thanked: 95 times
Re: Rain Support for boat cover
Hi Alan
Good to hear from you and letting me know what happened to you.
I look forward to seeing the photos how you get on when you cover your boat again sound good.
Still like to know if it is better to put a full cover over the boat to protect the tube from the weather.
Good to hear from you and letting me know what happened to you.
I look forward to seeing the photos how you get on when you cover your boat again sound good.
Still like to know if it is better to put a full cover over the boat to protect the tube from the weather.
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: Rain Support for boat cover
Hey @Sibfisher looking good there matey with ya waste pipe support, and looks as if cover extends far enough to protect toobs from midday sun.
If you want a wide cover to wrap further under toobs then perhaps worth looking at the Ducksback RIB covers as good quality, good value, waterproof, breathable and quite wide to boot. Might be a tad long but that’s easily sorted with some judicious folding.
We’ve got a Size 2 on our little Ocean Runner 340....a bit long but good girth (Ooer!) and goes well under toobs.
Ducksback have both their own and eBay site...sometimes slightly cheaper through the eBay shop.
https://ducksback.co.uk/shop/boat-and-o ... rts-boats/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112070271921
Pic of ours fresh out the bag, creased, loosely laid and not strapped on/tensioned. Hopefully shows generous width on a 1760mm wide hull.
If you want a wide cover to wrap further under toobs then perhaps worth looking at the Ducksback RIB covers as good quality, good value, waterproof, breathable and quite wide to boot. Might be a tad long but that’s easily sorted with some judicious folding.
We’ve got a Size 2 on our little Ocean Runner 340....a bit long but good girth (Ooer!) and goes well under toobs.
Ducksback have both their own and eBay site...sometimes slightly cheaper through the eBay shop.
https://ducksback.co.uk/shop/boat-and-o ... rts-boats/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112070271921
Pic of ours fresh out the bag, creased, loosely laid and not strapped on/tensioned. Hopefully shows generous width on a 1760mm wide hull.
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
-
Sibfisher
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
- Boat Make: Elling KB 350
- Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Tui, Spain
- Has thanked: 113 times
- Been thanked: 95 times
Re: Rain Support for boat cover
Hi Ian
Thanks for the comments and the information on the cover and where to buy it, you are a great help on this site and full of useful information that is very helpful.
It is the same as the cover you had on another post, which I thought looked ideal to cover the boat completely, also the photos you have posted now looks good:
, I have put it into my watch list on Ebay and will look at buying it later on.
Thanks for the comments and the information on the cover and where to buy it, you are a great help on this site and full of useful information that is very helpful.
It is the same as the cover you had on another post, which I thought looked ideal to cover the boat completely, also the photos you have posted now looks good:
-
lauraawalker
- I'm New
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 Oct 2020, 13:36
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: New York
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 2 times
Re: Rain Support for boat cover
iCover trailerable boat cover. Got me through my first year and so far so good. Standing water does leak through. Showing some fading from the sun. I bought it large to help cover further down the sides and cover the motor. Was a good idea, but it still doesn't protect the sides from the sun as much as I had hoped. east to get on and off. I am happy so far and would purchase again. I highly recommend it!!
- These users thanked the author lauraawalker for the post:
- Sibfisher (26 Oct 2020, 08:45)


