Fixing a wonky extension handle

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
DavidA England
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 33
Joined: 12 Sep 2018, 09:33
Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Yamaha F6C four stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: London
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Fixing a wonky extension handle

Post by DavidA » 12 Jul 2020, 12:57

My extension handle kept working loose and falling off the tiller handle. I soon determined that the bolt on the clamp was not long enough. I needed a bolt 1.5 inches at least.
A visit to a chandlers was fruitless as the bolt in question was UNC thread an american standard and 5/16 in diameter.

I eventually sourced one on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-32-10-24-1 ... 2749.l2649

And fitting it solved the problem as the handle can now be slid completely into the clamp with no chance of it coming off. Engine is a Yamaha 6hp four stoke F6c with quite a fat tiller.

Oldman England
Advanced Member
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2020, 10:41
Boat Make: Elling KB350 SIB
Outboard: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Location: North Kent
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Fixing a wonky extension handle

Post by Oldman » 12 Jul 2020, 15:15

I had exactly the same problem yesterday, I found a longer but not stainless 5/16 UNC bolt in my odds box & fitted that, but I also noticed the knob was too close to the clamp when tightened down so added a spacer and washer between the plastic clamp and knob on mine to make clamping easier with big fingers.
Great minds at pretty much the same time and just 50 miles apart :roll:

Oldman England
Advanced Member
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2020, 10:41
Boat Make: Elling KB350 SIB
Outboard: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Location: North Kent
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Fixing a wonky extension handle

Post by Oldman » 12 Jul 2020, 16:27

Forgot to add the picture, made my spacer from a 3/4 tap washer drilled out, it squashes to take the angled shape when the nut is tightened.
yellow box just to hold the part for picture :)
SHYTH0~1.JPG

warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Posts: 645
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Montrose -Scotland
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Fixing a wonky extension handle

Post by warder54 » 13 Jul 2020, 12:21

Neat fix, thinking of making one myself. From my preferred seat position I think I only need around 10 inches or so (Ooer missus)
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”