Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Just got my drysuit repaired, new neck seal done at Lomo , cracking service from them, dropped it off last Thursday and got a phone call Saturday to say it was ready , just need some better weather to try it out 
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Surely that defeats the object of owning a dry suit????Paul B wrote:, just need some better weather to try it out
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Trust me Andy, there is no chance of anybody going out in a sib at present, average temp at moment is 1-2degrees and winds of 50mph plus over last few daysAndy B wrote:Surely that defeats the object of owning a dry suit????Paul B wrote:, just need some better weather to try it out
I don’t mind a bit of cold weather buts that’s taking it to the extreme,
-
warder54
- Super Poster
- Posts: 645
- Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
- Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
- Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi - MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Montrose -Scotland
- Has thanked: 23 times
- Been thanked: 148 times
Re: Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Danny and myself managed out last Friday - both in drysuits pretty cold but when ashore out of the wind and in the sun 4c felt positively balmy!
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott
Mike Elliott
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
So it's true, summers come early in Scotland this year!Paul B wrote: Trust me Andy, there is no chance of anybody going out in a sib at present, average temp at moment is 1-2degrees and winds of 50mph plus over last few days![]()
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Douglas,
Cracking thread sir. A very informative, and sometimes sobering read.
Each to their own but we are almost never on the water without either a wetsuit or drysuit, perhaps due to our sailing/windsurfing/surfing days. Often in and out of the water wakeboarding etc. but even on days just in the boat I wouldn't fancy an enforced dunking at 20+ knots in cold water without suitable gear. The thought of wearing waders on the boat fills me with horror (and water).
Cracking thread sir. A very informative, and sometimes sobering read.
Each to their own but we are almost never on the water without either a wetsuit or drysuit, perhaps due to our sailing/windsurfing/surfing days. Often in and out of the water wakeboarding etc. but even on days just in the boat I wouldn't fancy an enforced dunking at 20+ knots in cold water without suitable gear. The thought of wearing waders on the boat fills me with horror (and water).
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
-
Admin
- Site Admin
- Posts: 118
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 11:02
- Location: U.K.
- Has thanked: 5 times
- Been thanked: 59 times
- Contact:
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Topic now locked until split/moved/edited..
Admin
Admin
Please Like, Subscribe, Share, and Join Our Social Media Sites.
Twitter, Facebook, YouTube & Google+
Twitter, Facebook, YouTube & Google+
-
Gazzago
- Active Member
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 18 May 2018, 12:51
- Boat Make: zodiac Futura Mk2c
- Outboard: Mariner 25hp efi
- MMSI Number: 235912526
- Location: Lancaster UK
- Has thanked: 11 times
- Been thanked: 16 times
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
I just wanted to say what an excellent thread this has turned out to be. Appreciate it’s old but no harm bringing it up a again.
As a relative new sib owner I have a dry suit as I agree and understand the dangers of cold water. I don’t have a fish finder or chart plotter yet. Even though these would be useful and used all the time. My drysuit will hopefully not be NEEDED other than launching and recovering and also protecting me from spray etc.
Safety has to come first for me.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As a relative new sib owner I have a dry suit as I agree and understand the dangers of cold water. I don’t have a fish finder or chart plotter yet. Even though these would be useful and used all the time. My drysuit will hopefully not be NEEDED other than launching and recovering and also protecting me from spray etc.
Safety has to come first for me.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
IanH 72
- I'm New
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 13 May 2020, 11:11
- Location: Dartford, Kent
- Has thanked: 45 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Being new to sibbing I found this very interesting and hadn’t thought about the effect of cold water if I fell in or how hard it would be to get back into the boat especially if wearing waders
Are there ladders available that attach to the transom or tubes that can be pulled down if you suddenly find yourself in the water?
I’ve only been ribbing in Italy in the summer so cold water wasn’t an issue but would have a ladder attached to the boat making it easy to get back onboard after a swim.
I have done the RYA powerboat 2 course and would recommend it to everyone and enjoyed the man overboard recovery part of the course but it was more to help retrieving others into the boat than what to do if you unexpectedly find yourself in the water on your own.
Maybe some of you with experience could start a safety thread of things us newbies need to know and basic safety equipment worth getting. This could be things like getting back in the boat, best life jackets to wear, how to use throw bags etc..
Are there ladders available that attach to the transom or tubes that can be pulled down if you suddenly find yourself in the water?
I’ve only been ribbing in Italy in the summer so cold water wasn’t an issue but would have a ladder attached to the boat making it easy to get back onboard after a swim.
I have done the RYA powerboat 2 course and would recommend it to everyone and enjoyed the man overboard recovery part of the course but it was more to help retrieving others into the boat than what to do if you unexpectedly find yourself in the water on your own.
Maybe some of you with experience could start a safety thread of things us newbies need to know and basic safety equipment worth getting. This could be things like getting back in the boat, best life jackets to wear, how to use throw bags etc..
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
We carry these on both rib and sib. Clipped onto transom eye, can be deployed even from in the water.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231562439195
If you find yourself in the water you can also use the motors AV plate as a step up and go in over the transom. Motor switched off obviously.
Or some flash gits do it this way.
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'


