Wheel camber

If you need help or advice on trailers, this is the forum for you.
Show us your trailer builds/modifications or new purchase.
Post Reply
Wrighty1121 England
I'm New
Posts: 10
Joined: 24 Mar 2019, 17:45
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Carlisle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wheel camber

Post by Wrighty1121 » 13 Apr 2019, 20:31

J have a 4.5m humber assault on what I was told is on the correct trailer.

I have notice both wheels are angled with a negative camber. Is this normal or is there a repair I need to look into.

Cheers

Salty Pete Australia
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 34
Joined: 14 Mar 2019, 23:57
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Beckenham
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Wheel camber

Post by Salty Pete » 14 Apr 2019, 01:14

I have had a lot of experience with trailers and trailer axles as far as I have seen are dead straight.
I don't know which way negative camber is but any camber in the wheels would as far as I am aware, be due to a bent axle, caused by bearing too much weight.
I would check the axles to see if they are bent.

simonk Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 41
Joined: 13 Apr 2019, 17:57
Boat Make: FRIB275 ,Seago Golite 250
Outboard: Yamaha F6
Suzuki DF2.5
Location: Exeter
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Wheel camber

Post by simonk » 14 Apr 2019, 06:31

Could you post up a picture?

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Wheel camber

Post by ChrisParish » 14 Apr 2019, 07:33

I’ve done a quick bit of research on this as I have been working on a trailer recently.
First - positive vs negative camber.
F3C5347D-1EC9-4D34-BA1D-27DABC79C481.jpeg
F3C5347D-1EC9-4D34-BA1D-27DABC79C481.jpeg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
When weight is placed upon the trailer it applies a bending force to the axel units which creates a sight negative camber. To counter this most units are made with a slight positive camber built in so that when loaded they sit with zero camber. These built in allowances are very small, with a boat trailer which probably weighs a few hundred kilos on its own you would probably never notice them.
If you have visible negative camber then something is badly bent or well beyond its design weight limit.
Check if the cross members are bent or if it is the axels themselves.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Posts: 645
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Montrose -Scotland
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Wheel camber

Post by warder54 » 14 Apr 2019, 12:30

I had the same problem, on the way back from Oban I noticed my trailer tyres were bald over the inner 2 thirds of tread. Finished the journey home very carefully. On inspection I found the same problem you have. I had to get a new axle as the hub mount and suspension on mine are all integral, only the hubs can be changed. The suspension rubber inserts had collapsed causing the negative camber you describe. I'd recommend sorting it now before your tyres are knacked and become potential points to be added to your license.
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Wrighty1121 England
I'm New
Posts: 10
Joined: 24 Mar 2019, 17:45
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Carlisle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheel camber

Post by Wrighty1121 » 16 Apr 2019, 22:41

Cheers for the advice, I'll be taking the boat off the trailer in a few weeks. Will be looking at sorting the trailer then.

Post Reply

Return to “Boat Trailers”