DIY bow spray canopy
-
MCL
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 13:19
- Boat Make: Zodiac Fastroller 325
- Outboard: Yamaha 8hp Enduro 2 stroke
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Lincolnshire
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Been thanked: 7 times
DIY bow spray canopy
just finished my DIY spray dodger and thought i would share the results.
I had seen a purpose built canopy for sale on ebay for £60 but I didn't want black which was the only colour available at that price.
I have seen a few how to threads so decided to have a go at making one myself. I found a suitable tent pole in the garage and various bits of sting and bungee. I then purchased the following:
* 1.5m x 2m of "600-D fabric MARINE CANVAS" £16 (inc. postage)
*Sib Hooks £7.50
*V69 polyester thread £4
*10mm eyelets / press £9.95
total spend £37.45
I went for fluorescent orange material because I thought I 1. like to be seen, 2. be a bit different! i used almost all of the material bar a few off cuts so glad I got the size I did. I spent some time adding tent poles to get the height that I wanted. (75cms from floor to top of arch). I think this bit is quite important and you need to think what you want. I just wanted somewhere for my wife / daughter to escape sun, rain, spray easily and this was the right height for them.
After using clothes pegs to hold the material onto the tent pole I cut the outline I wanted using the sib rubbing stake as a guide. The edges were them hemmed using V69 which is a strong, UV and abrasion resistant thread.
The brass eyelets were then installed, the draper kit was very easy to use and worth the money. The SIB hooks were overpriced as most marine things are but they do the job. I tried to use the Zodiacs original fittings wherever possible to help hold the spray dodger down.
I am yet to try this out on the water, I am sure that I will need to adjust / improve certain aspects of it but I love the colour of it and hopefully it will perform well.
I had seen a purpose built canopy for sale on ebay for £60 but I didn't want black which was the only colour available at that price.
I have seen a few how to threads so decided to have a go at making one myself. I found a suitable tent pole in the garage and various bits of sting and bungee. I then purchased the following:
* 1.5m x 2m of "600-D fabric MARINE CANVAS" £16 (inc. postage)
*Sib Hooks £7.50
*V69 polyester thread £4
*10mm eyelets / press £9.95
total spend £37.45
I went for fluorescent orange material because I thought I 1. like to be seen, 2. be a bit different! i used almost all of the material bar a few off cuts so glad I got the size I did. I spent some time adding tent poles to get the height that I wanted. (75cms from floor to top of arch). I think this bit is quite important and you need to think what you want. I just wanted somewhere for my wife / daughter to escape sun, rain, spray easily and this was the right height for them.
After using clothes pegs to hold the material onto the tent pole I cut the outline I wanted using the sib rubbing stake as a guide. The edges were them hemmed using V69 which is a strong, UV and abrasion resistant thread.
The brass eyelets were then installed, the draper kit was very easy to use and worth the money. The SIB hooks were overpriced as most marine things are but they do the job. I tried to use the Zodiacs original fittings wherever possible to help hold the spray dodger down.
I am yet to try this out on the water, I am sure that I will need to adjust / improve certain aspects of it but I love the colour of it and hopefully it will perform well.
-
Steve
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 336
- Joined: 25 Apr 2017, 11:12
- Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
Yamaha F6CMHS - MMSI Number: 235902190
- Location: Fife
- Has thanked: 80 times
- Been thanked: 63 times
Re: DIY bow spray canopy
Looks great - well done! 
I feel I’ve let the side down, as I bought one rather than made one...
I feel I’ve let the side down, as I bought one rather than made one...
-
MCL
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 13:19
- Boat Make: Zodiac Fastroller 325
- Outboard: Yamaha 8hp Enduro 2 stroke
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Lincolnshire
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Been thanked: 7 times
Re: DIY bow spray canopy
Glad you both approve, it can't be to difficult if I managed to make one. To be honest for convenience it is easier to buy one for the sake of £20, but I like a project hence why I had a go.
It always good to see photos of other people set ups regardless of how they achieved it. Most important thing is to get out there and use it!
It always good to see photos of other people set ups regardless of how they achieved it. Most important thing is to get out there and use it!
-
Steve
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 336
- Joined: 25 Apr 2017, 11:12
- Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
Yamaha F6CMHS - MMSI Number: 235902190
- Location: Fife
- Has thanked: 80 times
- Been thanked: 63 times
Re: DIY bow spray canopy
Absolutely agree! We were impressed with how much shelter ours gave when underway...
Bet you can’t wait to take her out for a blast!

Bet you can’t wait to take her out for a blast!
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: DIY bow spray canopy
Awesome.. well done!
Nice and bright, surprisingly the colour works
Nice and bright, surprisingly the colour works
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: DIY bow spray canopy
Great job and well done
You'll definitely realise the benefits of your labour once you've tried it out

You'll definitely realise the benefits of your labour once you've tried it out
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: DIY bow spray canopy
Nice job
Looks very similar to one of mine
I did find it would deform at speed, but handy if it was raining...
Looks very similar to one of mine
I did find it would deform at speed, but handy if it was raining...
-
DavidA
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 12 Sep 2018, 09:33
- Boat Make: Honwave T32
- Outboard: Yamaha F6C four stroke
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: London
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: DIY bow spray canopy
Hi All. New here, and to SIBing!
Would love to add one of these sparay canopies to my Honwave T27 but would like advice as to how to locate the ends of the tent poles to the top of my tubes . Location I guess would be just forward of the seat.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Would love to add one of these sparay canopies to my Honwave T27 but would like advice as to how to locate the ends of the tent poles to the top of my tubes . Location I guess would be just forward of the seat.
Any ideas would be welcome.




