Maiden voyage
- FishingAgain
- I'm New
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
- MMSI Number: 10
- Has thanked: 11 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Maiden voyage
Finally got the boat out yesterday from Newhaven slip. £10 per self launch. The 7ah battery didn't have enough power to pump the boat fully so one side of the deck was 0.5 bar instead of 0.8. Anyhow then the vhf only had one bar of battery left (must check the safety equipment) but it did last 5 hrs. The outboard performed well starting after a few pulls, warmed up and off we went. Sea was a tad choppy to start but got the sib flying along. We stopped and had an attempt at fishing but nothing showed. We headed up the river Ouse to calmer waters and opened her right up 15kn on first attempt then adjusted the tilt and got 17.6kn. Now the engine seems to be long on the sib a good two inches lower than the bottom of the boat at the cavitation plate. I'll add some pictures when I measure the outboard later. So much to learn. I've just measured from the top of mounting bracket to the bottom of the cavitation plate and its 23in
I understand you guys using this forum, but its hard work for me as my photos are on my phone along with videos and internet. A facebook group is the future!
I understand you guys using this forum, but its hard work for me as my photos are on my phone along with videos and internet. A facebook group is the future!
- Attachments
-
sib.mp4 [ 8.81 MiB | Viewed 2015 times ]
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Maiden voyage
My photos are on my phone, and I manage with the forum great, it works just as well on a phone as it does on the desktop ...
Facebook groups are useless at storing information, you can’t find bugger all as stuff disappears as soon as it appears.. I ran a Facebook group prior to the forum, I changed to the forum because of its lack of use at storage and search facilities.
Yes it’s great for a quick question and answers, beyond that it’s pretty useless imo
Groups will soon become a thing of the past, your mate Carlos will see that...
Anyways, back to the main reason of your post. Obviously you’re not getting the answers you require from the great facebook group of the future
It’s difficult to tell from your image the actual length of the outboard, but it does look like you’ve got yourself a long shaft there.
Your T32 is designed to work with a short shaft.
The short shaft motors depending on age and manufacturer will vary between 15 and 17 inch. That’s the measurement from the top inner point of the transom mount right down to the top of the ventilation plate.
Hope that helps...
Martin
Facebook groups are useless at storing information, you can’t find bugger all as stuff disappears as soon as it appears.. I ran a Facebook group prior to the forum, I changed to the forum because of its lack of use at storage and search facilities.
Yes it’s great for a quick question and answers, beyond that it’s pretty useless imo
Groups will soon become a thing of the past, your mate Carlos will see that...
Anyways, back to the main reason of your post. Obviously you’re not getting the answers you require from the great facebook group of the future
It’s difficult to tell from your image the actual length of the outboard, but it does look like you’ve got yourself a long shaft there.
Your T32 is designed to work with a short shaft.
The short shaft motors depending on age and manufacturer will vary between 15 and 17 inch. That’s the measurement from the top inner point of the transom mount right down to the top of the ventilation plate.
Hope that helps...
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Maiden voyage
Ian. That’s definetly a long shaft engine, as Martin says. The T32 is designed for a short shaft engine, whilst it works as it is, you won’t get the best from it , I was getting around 22 knots with my 15hp 4 stroke
-
Cliff
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 321
- Joined: 31 Dec 2017, 11:47
- Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp efi
Demon 5.2hp 2 smoke - Location: Sunny Wigan
- Has thanked: 95 times
- Been thanked: 66 times
Re: Maiden voyage
FishingAgain wrote: I understand you guys using this forum, but its hard work for me as my photos are on my phone along with videos and internet. A facebook group is the future!
- FishingAgain
- I'm New
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
- MMSI Number: 10
- Has thanked: 11 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Maiden voyage
Martin wrote:My photos are on my phone, and I manage with the forum great, it works just as well on a phone as it does on the desktop ...
Facebook groups are useless at storing information, you can’t find bugger all as stuff disappears as soon as it appears.. I ran a Facebook group prior to the forum, I changed to the forum because of its lack of use at storage and search facilities.
Yes it’s great for a quick question and answers, beyond that it’s pretty useless imo![]()
Groups will soon become a thing of the past, your mate Carlos will see that... Oops sorry for upsetting the facebook ballance! As for Carlos I have only met him the once as a meet up buddy as I can't manage a launch and retrieve on my own and he was kind enough to join me. I have now found out there's some healthy competition in this sibing!!! LOL
Anyways, back to the main reason of your post. Obviously you’re not getting the answers you require from the great facebook group of the futureI got the answers from you guys via the facebook ribs n sibs page??? Which is confusing as i thought it was the same thing. My bad...
It’s difficult to tell from your image the actual length of the outboard, but it does look like you’ve got yourself a long shaft there.
Your T32 is designed to work with a short shaft.
The short shaft motors depending on age and manufacturer will vary between 15 and 17 inch. That’s the measurement from the top inner point of the transom mount right down to the top of the ventilation plate. It seems I have been truly mugged of in my early sib quest as I was told it was a 2012 short shaft 4 stroke that turns out to be a 2002 long shaft 2 stroke
But thanks to you guys and utube I'll get by
Hope that helps...
Martin
- FishingAgain
- I'm New
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
- MMSI Number: 10
- Has thanked: 11 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Maiden voyage
So it seems.... lolCliff wrote:FishingAgain wrote: I understand you guys using this forum, but its hard work for me as my photos are on my phone along with videos and internet. A facebook group is the future!facebook is the tool of the devil,
- FishingAgain
- I'm New
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
- MMSI Number: 10
- Has thanked: 11 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Maiden voyage
That's fast Paul it was fast enough going 17 knots... I may try for an engine swap if there's anyone that wants a long shaft but i suppose a long would be for a much bigger boat? And then it'll be as a secondary engine? It was good to get it out following my engine building skills lol.Paul B wrote:Ian. That’s definetly a long shaft engine, as Martin says. The T32 is designed for a short shaft engine, whilst it works as it is, you won’t get the best from it , I was getting around 22 knots with my 15hp 4 stroke



