Outboard troubles

All things outboard related here!
4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric
User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 28 Feb 2018, 10:33

Why do i have oil coming out of these places?ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 28 Feb 2018, 10:37

This is the smoke video?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User avatar
sparerib Scotland
Advanced Member
Posts: 293
Joined: 08 Jun 2016, 22:27
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 340
Outboard: Yamaha 30hp 4 stroke
Yamaha 2.5hp 4 stroke
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by sparerib » 28 Feb 2018, 10:39

Oil seal behind the prop knackered probably.
These users thanked the author sparerib for the post:
FishingAgain (28 Feb 2018, 19:02)

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 28 Feb 2018, 10:40


User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by Paul B » 28 Feb 2018, 13:02

Gear box oil seals knackered

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 28 Feb 2018, 16:23

Paul B wrote:Gear box oil seals knackered
Thanks Paul, are they easy to replace? Btw did you see the video?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by Paul B » 28 Feb 2018, 17:13

FishingAgain wrote:
Paul B wrote:Gear box oil seals knackered
Thanks Paul, are they easy to replace? Btw did you see the video?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
No idea mate, never worked on outboards as such, have a chat with Andy B he’s pretty clued up with them

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by Andy B » 28 Feb 2018, 19:23

First things first, I'm guessing Merc/Mariner, either 9.9hp or 15hp?

I'm not seeing any tale tell. (just puffs of steam)
This would explane the Steam, Not smoke coming out everywhere.
So the gearbox is coming off anyway for a new impeller.

The oil coming out of the top of the Leg is a build up of sludge from un-burnt two stroke oil. Nothing to worry about, just messy.
Make sure you're using the correct mixture and a decent marine two stroke oil and this will clear.

Now to the gearbox seal?
It's not necessarily gone. This could just be a case of over "generosity" with the two stroke oil ;-)
Especially with the lack of water circulation.

So get the gearbox off and drain the oil, Now don't panic if the gearbox oil is all emulsified!
Don't get me wrong, it's not a good sign, but chances are it's been a very long time since it was previously changed :D

While you have the gearbox off now's the time to pressure test it. This will tell you if the seals have gone.
I make up a tester out of the tube from my gearbox oil pump and the hand pump in my brake pressure bleeder.

Basically you need a way of achieving 10psi in the gearbox and being able to monitor it for any drop in pressure.

If you do need to replace the prop shaft seal then you're going to need a puller and just hope the bearing carrier wants to play ball :roll:

Good luck :D
Attachments
M-90095-Mercury-bearing-carrier-puller-lower-unit.jpg
M-90095-Mercury-bearing-carrier-puller-lower-unit.jpg (9.57 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
90095.jpg
90095.jpg (4.85 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Last edited by Andy B on 28 Feb 2018, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by Andy B » 28 Feb 2018, 19:25

Here you go....

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 28 Feb 2018, 22:38

Andy B wrote:Here you go....
Andy your a Gent I will be trying my limited skills at mechanics in the next few weeks. You knowledge is a great help. Thanks. Its a 2002 Mercury 15 and I've been sold a wrongun but we live and learn. Can you recommend where to get the parts from.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “Outboards”