Which tiller extension arm?

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different floor designs, exampoles include - Air floor mat, Wooden/Metal boards over an Inflatable Keel or a High Pressure V Floor.
pedro916 England
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 28
Joined: 12 Oct 2017, 16:58
Boat Make: Honwave T32 ie
Outboard: Honda bf10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Pontefract , west yorks
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Which tiller extension arm?

Post by pedro916 » 15 Feb 2018, 18:28

Doe's anyone have advice on a good safe tiller extension for an Honda bf 10, I have heard bad reports about some so any advice would be apprietiated.

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Which tiller extension arm?

Post by Andy B » 15 Feb 2018, 19:10

They are a God send, but also a thing of the Devil :rofl
What size boat do you have? I take it you are trying to sit forward to get on the plane.
If possible try to find a non telescopic one that's the right length.
The telescopic ones have a habit of coming loose when you least expect it!!!!
These users thanked the author Andy B for the post:
pedro916 (15 Feb 2018, 19:23)

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Which tiller extension arm?

Post by rogerblack » 15 Feb 2018, 19:24

My first one (Italian made!) broke with the plastic section at right angles, jamming the handle against the side tube and putting the boat into 360 degree spin with the engine at high revs.
20160907_135753.jpg
Broken tiller extension
20160907_135823.jpg
Make to avoid?
Luckily I was thrown onto the floor of the SIB, not overboard, at which point my killcord did its job and cut the engine.
PaulB had a similar experience, witnessed by Martin I believe.

On the much sturdier replacement I bought from Pacer Marine, I found as Andy B said that the friction grip was worse than useless, coming loose all the time, particularly since my gear change is on the tiller handle, with a resistance between forward - neutral - reverse. I tried gluing it at the desired extension but that came undone, so finally I fitted a couple of pop rivets and it's now fine.

:cheers
These users thanked the author rogerblack for the post (total 2):
pedro916 (15 Feb 2018, 19:32) • Paul B (15 Feb 2018, 21:09)
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

pedro916 England
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 28
Joined: 12 Oct 2017, 16:58
Boat Make: Honwave T32 ie
Outboard: Honda bf10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Pontefract , west yorks
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Which tiller extension arm?

Post by pedro916 » 15 Feb 2018, 19:31

Its for a Honwave T32 mainly for when I'm out alone like you say to get on the plane but in a good position rather than sat on the tubes.

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Which tiller extension arm?

Post by rogerblack » 15 Feb 2018, 19:36

pedro916 wrote:Its for a Honwave T32 mainly for when I'm out alone like you say to get on the plane but in a good position rather than sat on the tubes.
I also find the best position when skippering solo on my T32 airfloor is sitting centrally on the seat, hence requiring the tiller extension. This steers well and gets on the plane no problem. I find it virtually impossible to steer straight when sitting on the side tube within reach of the tiller. Possibly because of my lardy weight, it seems to tilt the boat to one side so that it doesn't sit with the V of the hull properly in the water.

:cheers
These users thanked the author rogerblack for the post:
pedro916 (15 Feb 2018, 19:51)
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Which tiller extension arm?

Post by Paul B » 15 Feb 2018, 21:40

As Roger so kindly reminded me, I had one of the tiller extensions just like Rogers and yes it failed just as I was crossing the wake of Martins sib at speed , causing the boat to turn hard around and around with me pinned to the bottom of the boat whilst it went around on one cone, hence I don’t tend to use extensions anymore, :thud

I’m sure Martin will be along at some point to put his take on my incident :lol:

User avatar
DouglasW
Advanced Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 10 Aug 2016, 18:51
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5
Location: West of Scotland
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Which tiller extension arm?

Post by DouglasW » 15 Feb 2018, 23:15

Hi Pedro great advice from all of the above. I use a cheap Plastimo one which I have cut to size. I have not had any problems with it.

Just remember if you are used to sitting on the port tube and operating the tiller/throttle with the right hand you will open the throttle by rolling it with your fingers leading the way.

If you fit an extension and sit on the thwart facing forward you will operate the tiller/throttle with the left hand and open the throttle with your thumb leading the way.

A friend on the Solway who had just bought an extension forgot this. He was trying to come alongside a friend’s yacht he tried to throttle back but ended up opening the throttle full and ramming the yacht so hard he fell out his boat.

Fortunately the only harm was his dented pride, but until you get used to it it is possible that in the heat of a moment you might open rather than close the throttle.

Douglas

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Which tiller extension arm?

Post by Martin » 16 Feb 2018, 00:12

Paul B wrote:As Roger so kindly reminded me, I had one of the tiller extensions just like Rogers and yes it failed just as I was crossing the wake of Martins sib at speed , causing the boat to turn hard around and around with me pinned to the bottom of the boat whilst it went around on one cone, hence I don’t tend to use extensions anymore, :thud
I’m sure Martin will be along at some point to put his take on my incident :lol:
And there was me thinking you were doing a highly trained stunt manoeuvre :LMT
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

PhilD
I'm New
Posts: 5
Joined: 03 Dec 2017, 18:57
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which tiller extension arm?

Post by PhilD » 16 Feb 2018, 07:52

Pete, you can always borrow Cpn Jack so you dont need a tiller extension.

Redron Great Britain
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Jan 2018, 17:07
Boat Make: Avon Rover Rollaway 3.1m
Outboard: Yamaha 5hp 2 stroke
Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Isle of Skye
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which tiller extension arm?

Post by Redron » 16 Feb 2018, 13:21

Which begs the question...
Why is the one and only seat not positioned further back in the first place ? I’ve often wondered what effect sitting on the tubes would have on the steering, Roger seems to have answered that .
I am on the cusp of buying a t32 and will probably invest in the Coleman 36l coolbox for storage, and to sit on whilst ‘driving’. If I have done my research correctly, it should fit nicely between the tubes.
Any one else do this ?

Post Reply

Return to “SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat”