Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
User avatar
The Hobbit England
Supporting Member
Posts: 724
Joined: 10 Jul 2017, 15:03
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
MMSI Number: 235904468
Location: Farnborough Hampshire
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by The Hobbit » 13 Oct 2017, 19:41

And there's me thinking an electric motor as an auxillery. Very light to throw around the boat and slim enough to keep out of the way until hopefully never needed. However, I'm thinking of mounting such a thing to the rear of my main outboard. I have a picture in my mind but no plans yet. :LMT
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".

All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by kaman » 13 Oct 2017, 20:37

sparerib wrote:I get what your saying about limp home and it would probably be fine !!!

Looking at my blue and red lines, I would add that extra mount and turn your engine mount upside down, and fix to the top mount with the diagonal brace going into the existing bottom mount, would give a more direct push for the engine and a diagonal brace aswell.....
either way hope you never use it !!!
Cheers for the ideas Ross.
It's good to have another perspective.
I did give it the old push pull test with my 18.5 stone frame and it does seem pretty sturdy.
I did consider strengthenin the baton with a steel plate as I think the transom is pretty sturdy enuf.
I'll have a faff over the weekend and decide what I'm gonna do with it.
Don't really want to make it a great deal heavier tho.
I've got two heavy duty Tesco nylon chopping boards about 8mm thick 2 quid a pop.
Was gonna use it to clamp the outboard on to protect the baton from getting compressed.
Thinking I might sandwich the whole baton between the two nylon boards.
Mmmmm sandwich :mrgreen:

User avatar
sparerib Scotland
Advanced Member
Posts: 293
Joined: 08 Jun 2016, 22:27
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 340
Outboard: Yamaha 30hp 4 stroke
Yamaha 2.5hp 4 stroke
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by sparerib » 13 Oct 2017, 20:40

Too much time on our hands mate.....but as you say sandwich time ;-)

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by kaman » 13 Oct 2017, 21:30

My problem is its always sandwich time!
Looking at getting out a day during the school hols this coming week if the weather plays ball.
I'll give you a holler to see if you can make it along :thumbsup
These users thanked the author kaman for the post:
sparerib (14 Oct 2017, 17:31)

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by kaman » 14 Oct 2017, 12:12

Had a faff around this morning before the downpour caused me to retreat indoors.
As I didn't want to make another bracket and drill the transom this was next best thing.
Need to epoxy the pressure pad onto the second post and bolt second post to the auxiliary yet, but i can already see it is much sturdier with this set up........
Attachments
20171014_125352.jpg
20171014_125335.jpg
20171014_125431.jpg

User avatar
The Gurnard
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 09:30
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Location: West Coast Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by The Gurnard » 14 Oct 2017, 13:56

Looks much better Kaman. I didn't say anything earlier as I know you know how strong it would have been..but I did tend to agree with the others .. 13kg on the end of a lever would have given the around the same force to the wheel bracket as the 20Hp weight spread over the two wheel brackets would as its not on a lever.

I never understood those transom tab things anyhoo ? I appreciate the idea is to keep the boat level with a heavy OB on the back..but a fuel tank up front does the same job ?

User avatar
Steve Great Britain
Veteran Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 25 Apr 2017, 11:12
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
Yamaha F6CMHS
MMSI Number: 235902190
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by Steve » 14 Oct 2017, 14:55

MKI was great, but MKII looks really great!

:thumbsup

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by kaman » 14 Oct 2017, 15:34

Cheers guys.
That's the great things about forums like these - a look from different perspective.
Just really didn't want to drill the transom for something I might never need.
But the old ratchet strap and prop will suffice.
Feel much more confident that things will hold out now if I need to use the auxiliary :drive .

Jakeyboy Scotland
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
Outboard: Honda bf20
MMSI Number: 10
Location: GIRVAN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by Jakeyboy » 14 Oct 2017, 16:07

Hi Kamen;do you mind if i ask why it sticks out so far? Does it need this distance to clear the tube for turning outboard ? Second mount looking good by the way saves drilling transom too

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Post by kaman » 15 Oct 2017, 02:39

Yup J.B it needs to be that far back so as to allow port to starboard movement. It's positioned where the tube tapers so as to allow full p/s movement. Could have moved ot forward but steering would have been restricted ;-)

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”