bow canopy/spray dodger

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Tellum Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 99
Joined: 29 May 2017, 08:39
Boat Make: mercury 420 ocean runner
Outboard: 30hp four-stroke tohatso
MMSI Number: 235904012
Location: Cornwall - U.K
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 18 times

bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by Tellum » 27 Sep 2017, 19:16

hi all
I was thinking of making a bow canopy to offer a bit of protection when winter fishing. I was wondering does anyone use one off the shelf on there hon-wave t40 .I cannot seem to find one online. I would rather buy one to save time.
Cheers

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by Martin » 27 Sep 2017, 19:49

Someone on here did fit an excel boats canopy on their Honwave, the only other ones I’m aware of are hand made.
I’ve done three so far lol, easy enough to do once you decide on how to mount it.
If you have a quick look on my T38ie thread (my boat my build or reviews) you’ll see the one I knocked up in a caravan awning whilst on holiday :lol:

Here it is for those that want it..
http://f-ribsandsibs.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=318
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Tellum Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 99
Joined: 29 May 2017, 08:39
Boat Make: mercury 420 ocean runner
Outboard: 30hp four-stroke tohatso
MMSI Number: 235904012
Location: Cornwall - U.K
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by Tellum » 27 Sep 2017, 20:18

Thanks martin,that looks doable even for me. I got an old beach tent in the shed. Will give it ago if i cannot find one soon.

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by kaman » 28 Sep 2017, 12:52

Hi Tellum
I've got Martins old T3.8 and as such his fine homemade bow canopy.
The one Martin made has elastic and hooks that hold onto the rubbing strake.
20170919_131923.jpg
Screenshot_2017-09-28-13-44-59.png


I also have a 3.5ae ally deck Honwave.
I knocked together a bow canopy from a couple of pieces of old builders tarp and an old set of tent poles.
As I am a tight git I used old guy line and old fashioned truckers knots to tension the tarp down.
The poles sit into a drilled piece of wood I painted and affixed to the seat
20170902_115245.jpg
Screenshot_2017-09-28-13-46-37.png

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by Andy B » 29 Sep 2017, 22:27

:D
Attachments
20160909_123912.jpg
20160909_130913.jpg

pritch
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Aug 2017, 21:51
Boat Make: BISON 390
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Staffordshire
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by pritch » 30 Sep 2017, 08:03

This guy sells them on ebay in all different sizes.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170930-085939.png
Screenshot_20170930-085926.png
Screenshot_20170930-085923.png

User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by mattswan2512 » 30 Sep 2017, 13:52

Now thats not bad!!!
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

Tellum Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 99
Joined: 29 May 2017, 08:39
Boat Make: mercury 420 ocean runner
Outboard: 30hp four-stroke tohatso
MMSI Number: 235904012
Location: Cornwall - U.K
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by Tellum » 30 Sep 2017, 20:52

It looks like they only go up to 3.8, I need it for a 4meter. I've messaged him to see what hes got. I've seen some good looking ones on the internet but not for sale. Some nice strong folding alliuminium framed ones with clear panels. I just cannot seem to find who stocks them.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by Martin » 30 Sep 2017, 21:12

Thos ones on eBay Look the same type supplied by excel, not a bad pric either.
I did look at them but I prefer my own to be honest.
Mine is quick to put up and remove, anchored on railblaza bimini mounts (glued versions will be a better option that the sticky pads.. mod to do asap)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: bow canopy/spray dodger

Post by mattswan2512 » 30 Sep 2017, 22:08

I do wonder if u take a heavy wave over the bow wether it will buckle the spray deck.......
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”