Honwave. Which one?
-
Ian 71
- I'm New
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 29 Jul 2017, 20:27
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: West midlands
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Honwave. Which one?
Help. I'm looking at buying a new Hon Wave and can't decide on the T38 air V Floor, or the T40 alloy deck.
Which one is the most stable? I shall mainly use it on the estuary and out into the sea a little. I have a2006 Mercury 9.9hp four stroke, most of the time will be three adults, but would this be suitable for five adults occasionally or would it struggle? I do not have room for a trailer, but have an estate car, so plenty of room to carry.
What are the advantages / disadvantages over the two types of floor on these boats anybody.
Any advice appreciated.
Which one is the most stable? I shall mainly use it on the estuary and out into the sea a little. I have a2006 Mercury 9.9hp four stroke, most of the time will be three adults, but would this be suitable for five adults occasionally or would it struggle? I do not have room for a trailer, but have an estate car, so plenty of room to carry.
What are the advantages / disadvantages over the two types of floor on these boats anybody.
Any advice appreciated.
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Hi Ian and
to the forum
Both are good handling craft but the weight and setting up time between them are huge in ease of use
The T40ae is longer, has larger tubes, a hard deck but heavy and owners find it's weight and setting up tiresome so many end up trailering.
The T38ie setting up time is approximately half that of the T40, obviously lighter to man handle and easier to transport and store.
With your current OB and loading the T38 is the most likely of the two to get onto the plane
however with the extra weight of the T40 this may not be possible
..... any idea of these 'adult' weights 
Good to have you aboard and great you're doing research before spending your money

Both are good handling craft but the weight and setting up time between them are huge in ease of use
The T40ae is longer, has larger tubes, a hard deck but heavy and owners find it's weight and setting up tiresome so many end up trailering.
The T38ie setting up time is approximately half that of the T40, obviously lighter to man handle and easier to transport and store.
With your current OB and loading the T38 is the most likely of the two to get onto the plane
Good to have you aboard and great you're doing research before spending your money
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Welcome aboard Ian
As said, the Honwaves are exceptional sibs with a great following and superb build quality .
Both the T38ie and the T40ae have 44cm tubes. iirc the T40 allows for a 30hp outboard and a 20hp for the T38. The T40 weighs in around the 85kg mark and only 48kg for the T38.
The high pressure floor on the T38 is very substantial but does have a deep v at the bow fading to a shallow V at the transom end inside the craft where as the T40 will give you a completely flat floor inboard.
With your probability of load I too think the T40 will really struggle with your current outboard and you may struggle to get the T38 up and in the plane too.. I'd guess the T38 would be your best bet but be prepared for displacement speeds.
The T38 requires the hooked type launch wheels to pass the floor inbuilt trim tabs, the T40 doesn't have these tabs so general launch wheels are available.
Overall, a tricky decision due to load and outboard power.
Martin
As said, the Honwaves are exceptional sibs with a great following and superb build quality .
Both the T38ie and the T40ae have 44cm tubes. iirc the T40 allows for a 30hp outboard and a 20hp for the T38. The T40 weighs in around the 85kg mark and only 48kg for the T38.
The high pressure floor on the T38 is very substantial but does have a deep v at the bow fading to a shallow V at the transom end inside the craft where as the T40 will give you a completely flat floor inboard.
With your probability of load I too think the T40 will really struggle with your current outboard and you may struggle to get the T38 up and in the plane too.. I'd guess the T38 would be your best bet but be prepared for displacement speeds.
The T38 requires the hooked type launch wheels to pass the floor inbuilt trim tabs, the T40 doesn't have these tabs so general launch wheels are available.
Overall, a tricky decision due to load and outboard power.
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
The T40 is a bit of a brute and unless storage is an issue it's hard to see the advantages of it over a 4m RIB.
Especially if it's going to be kept on a trailer...
Especially if it's going to be kept on a trailer...
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
I'm inclined to agree Andy, That sized/weight sib is a mammoth brute unless trailering....
If its always going to be trailered, unless its a money thing then perhaps you're better off buying a small rib...
As Ian doesn't have storage room for a trailer, I'd expect the T38ie or a Frib 375 (cost permitting) would suit his needs better.
Ian, are you aware of the folding ribs ?
Have a chat with the guys at http://foldablerib.com/
(Steve or Ricky - Don't forget to mention our forum please )
I'd expect the 9,9hp performing a little better on a frib, can't see any reason why that wouldn't plane 3 up...
Martin
If its always going to be trailered, unless its a money thing then perhaps you're better off buying a small rib...
As Ian doesn't have storage room for a trailer, I'd expect the T38ie or a Frib 375 (cost permitting) would suit his needs better.
Ian, are you aware of the folding ribs ?
Have a chat with the guys at http://foldablerib.com/
(Steve or Ricky - Don't forget to mention our forum please )
I'd expect the 9,9hp performing a little better on a frib, can't see any reason why that wouldn't plane 3 up...
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
I think both sibs will struggle with 3+ adults, with that engine, the T38 will have the best performance, but even that won't be great,
-
Ian 71
- I'm New
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 29 Jul 2017, 20:27
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: West midlands
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Thank's people's for the reply / help.
Looks like the T38 is best buy for me. When i said three adults, the one is a 13 year old ( coming on 23 ) Teenager, so carrying shouldn't really be a problem, for him!!!!!!!!! and if it won't get up on the plane, Then him or the wife shall have to walk the plank.
Sometimes my stepson and his wife come along too, so will need to be able to fit them in, just for messing about up and down Fowey esturary really. Evenings are for just two of us to go fishing and then getting it on the plane.
The transom wheels aren't cheap though, is it ok for two people to carry without them? Also, If the 10 HP is underpowered, I can always replace it for a 20.
Cheers guy's.
Looks like the T38 is best buy for me. When i said three adults, the one is a 13 year old ( coming on 23 ) Teenager, so carrying shouldn't really be a problem, for him!!!!!!!!! and if it won't get up on the plane, Then him or the wife shall have to walk the plank.
Sometimes my stepson and his wife come along too, so will need to be able to fit them in, just for messing about up and down Fowey esturary really. Evenings are for just two of us to go fishing and then getting it on the plane.
The transom wheels aren't cheap though, is it ok for two people to carry without them? Also, If the 10 HP is underpowered, I can always replace it for a 20.
Cheers guy's.
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Hi Ian
I can only echo the advice pointing you toward the t3.8.
I have a t3.8 and a 3.5ae ally deck Honwave.
The 3.5ae is a bit smaller and lighter than the 4.0ae - however mine's is permanently trailered as I soon tired wrestling it during set up and put away.
I have powered both sibs using a Tohatsu 20hp.
The air deck t3.8 is a good bit quicker and a bit lessential harsh on the bones when a chop kicks up.
Both cracking Sibs but I reckon the air deck will tick more boxes for your requirements
I can only echo the advice pointing you toward the t3.8.
I have a t3.8 and a 3.5ae ally deck Honwave.
The 3.5ae is a bit smaller and lighter than the 4.0ae - however mine's is permanently trailered as I soon tired wrestling it during set up and put away.
I have powered both sibs using a Tohatsu 20hp.
The air deck t3.8 is a good bit quicker and a bit lessential harsh on the bones when a chop kicks up.
Both cracking Sibs but I reckon the air deck will tick more boxes for your requirements
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
If you want to keep the 10hp buy a honwave t32ie, but that will only carry 2 / 3 people. If you want more space get the T38ie, but I think you will need a 15hp to get that performing reasonably well. It's all a compromise
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8




