Loading the van.
-
Stray
- Super Poster
- Posts: 817
- Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
- Location: Oop North.
- Has thanked: 34 times
- Been thanked: 99 times
Loading the van.
I'm going to build a new camper van soon and I'm looking for ways to get the F-rib in and out of the back. I'm thinking of something along the lines of an easy load roof rack, http://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/roof-rack ... roof-racks so I can slide the boat in and out of the van. Anyone know where to source the components, or have any better ideas?
- DouglasW
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 236
- Joined: 10 Aug 2016, 18:51
- Boat Make: F-Rib 330
- Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5 - Location: West of Scotland
- Has thanked: 14 times
- Been thanked: 93 times
Re: Loading the van.
Hi Stray, I have the Karitek ELRR and also a similar rack called a LARS both work really well.

The ELRR is actually made by a sister company of Karitek called Teal Engineering. One of the reasons it is so expensive to buy is that it is not made from standard sections of aluminium.


As far as I know these sections were designed by Geoff Turner of Karitek/Teal Engineering and are not available anywhere else. I know that lots of kayakers have asked Geoff to supply the aluminium sections for a home build but he only sells complete racks.
The top the sliding section (2nd top photo) takes standard T mounts and instead of the kayak J bars you can fit a simple upright that would be ideal to retain a folded F-RIB in the loading position and is how I would move my F-RIB.

The rack lowered for loading. They also do a version for high sided vans and campers. This has a wire winch to get the load up.
I have done a review of the ELRR on my blog and there is also a discussion about loading kayaks and injuries sustained when doing so on my Facebook page.
Good luck with your new van and watch your back!
Douglas

The ELRR is actually made by a sister company of Karitek called Teal Engineering. One of the reasons it is so expensive to buy is that it is not made from standard sections of aluminium.


As far as I know these sections were designed by Geoff Turner of Karitek/Teal Engineering and are not available anywhere else. I know that lots of kayakers have asked Geoff to supply the aluminium sections for a home build but he only sells complete racks.
The top the sliding section (2nd top photo) takes standard T mounts and instead of the kayak J bars you can fit a simple upright that would be ideal to retain a folded F-RIB in the loading position and is how I would move my F-RIB.

The rack lowered for loading. They also do a version for high sided vans and campers. This has a wire winch to get the load up.
I have done a review of the ELRR on my blog and there is also a discussion about loading kayaks and injuries sustained when doing so on my Facebook page.
Good luck with your new van and watch your back!
Douglas
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: Loading the van.
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of 'stuff' out there to help us all with our problems
It's hard to think what we'd do without the internet these days without blogs, forums, Facebook and all the other media at our disposal
I can remember that it's not that many years ago "back in the day" you'd go down the library and read up on it or maybe get lucky that someone via word and mouth passed the knowledge on

Great info
It's hard to think what we'd do without the internet these days without blogs, forums, Facebook and all the other media at our disposal
I can remember that it's not that many years ago "back in the day" you'd go down the library and read up on it or maybe get lucky that someone via word and mouth passed the knowledge on
Great info
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Loading the van.
How weird or should i say how great that set up is...
That's exactly the sort of design i was thinking of for loading my frib into the Navara, a lift up and slide in shelf...
Unreal what they think of, Cracking set up Douglas !!
I'm really looking forward to seeing Strays build, The last one was exceedingly good so i can't imagine how MKii is gonna turn out
That's exactly the sort of design i was thinking of for loading my frib into the Navara, a lift up and slide in shelf...
Unreal what they think of, Cracking set up Douglas !!
I'm really looking forward to seeing Strays build, The last one was exceedingly good so i can't imagine how MKii is gonna turn out
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Davo
- Active Member
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 12 Jan 2015, 18:05
- Outboard: Sunsport 320
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Middlesbrough - North Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 7 times
Re: Loading the van.
I had a Karitek Steve. They are spot on, but always remember to keep the pins in place until you are definitely going to unload. I parked in Runswick car park one day, took the pins out, then my mate suggested parking on the slipway. So yep, I jumped in the car and drove down to the slipway with two kayaks on the roof. Then I heard a rumbling noise then the loader came down, smashed the window and dented the door. The yaks were ok though. If you buy one, get the handle with extended arms, as it will easier to load and you wont have to lean under your sib.
-
James
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1115
- Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
- Boat Make: F-Rib 360
- Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
- MMSI Number: 235914355
- Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
- Has thanked: 39 times
- Been thanked: 61 times
- Contact:
Re: Loading the van.
It would work well with two stroke. The oil on a 4 stroke maybe an issue??Stray wrote:Having had a good look round, it looks like I'll modify a 4 wheel sack barrow to make something that works like an Easy motor toter.
James
2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
-
LoznMary
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 27 Feb 2017, 23:23
- Boat Make: Honwave t38
- Outboard: Suzuki Df20hp
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: North Wales coast
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 10 times
Re: Loading the van.
We have just bought one of the KariTek sliding roof racks for our Landrover Disco. We went down this route as the F Rib and engine inside the vehicle took most of the rear passenger space. I fitted the rack last weekend, but will be modifying it this week to add a solid platform so the F-Rib can sit flat on it. I looked and thought of all types of systems, but the KariTek seems to tick most boxes.
When I've finished "modding" it, will put some piccies on for anybody that wishes to see it. The F-Rib should be in my hands this Friday, so couple of more mods to that and should be good to go.
Regards
Loz
When I've finished "modding" it, will put some piccies on for anybody that wishes to see it. The F-Rib should be in my hands this Friday, so couple of more mods to that and should be good to go.
Regards
Loz
-
9-R
- Super Poster
- Posts: 932
- Joined: 12 Feb 2016, 13:56
- Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
- Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI
- Location: The Republic of Texas
- Has thanked: 204 times
- Been thanked: 122 times
Re: Loading the van.
No kidding. I wouldn't have tried or thought of a lot of things without the internet and forums. Loving it. I know it has saved me a lot of money and time by DIY.Paul wrote: It's hard to think what we'd do without the internet these days without blogs, forums, Facebook and all the other media at our disposal![]()
I can remember that it's not that many years ago "back in the day" you'd go down the library and read up on it or maybe get lucky that someone via word and mouth passed the knowledge on![]()
![]()
What I think is even better is that ideas and information aren't shared locally anymore but internationally!
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.




