Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by rogerblack » 11 Jan 2017, 01:04

:erm
Below is a picture of an item I’ve just made to while away a rainy afternoon. :Hats

It’s to use on my SIB and in accordance with The Gurnard’s First Law has at least two distinct uses. :lol:

Can you guess what it’s for? :scratch

Sorry, there is no prize for correct answers other than the satisfaction of being a clever clogs. ;-)

And please be gentle with me, this was my first attempt at splicing three ply synthetic rope –
it doesn’t look elegant but has passed my strength tests. :oops:
MyObj.jpg
Mystery Object
:cheers
These users thanked the author rogerblack for the post:
wba 1879 (19 Oct 2020, 13:00)
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

enzo200500 Japan
Active Member
Posts: 140
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 10:03
Boat Make: Robalo R180
Outboard: Yamaha F150
Location: Worthing, West Sussex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by enzo200500 » 11 Jan 2017, 06:41

It's too early for this, but..

Is it for getting into boat after falling in?
To help pull boat onto trailer?

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by chris moody » 11 Jan 2017, 08:11

My guess is a grab handle to stop you sliding backwards towards the transom when helming. And for the "Gurnards first law" aspect a rope ladder to get back into the sib
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by Martin » 11 Jan 2017, 10:31

To follow "gurnards law" it must have at least two uses.
1) as chris says, to tie to the bow and hold the other end for stability whilst helming
2) a foot up back into the sib should the unthinkable happen
3) a pull start for your outboard (depending on circumference)
4) a toy swing for your action man
5) washing line for socks
6) various other uses if you've been watching 50 shades :lol:
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by mattswan2512 » 11 Jan 2017, 20:15

Foot hold for getting bk in! And.........
Waterskiing line for when u and donny hit the white caps and throw a couple shapes.
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by rogerblack » 12 Jan 2017, 00:55

Wow!

You guys are just too good!

Easily guessed what I intended but also gave me some additional ideas I hadn't even thought of,
proving The Gurnard's Law to the nth degree!

I originally had three uses in mind.

enzo got one of them right straight away - an aid to getting back into the boat.
If I ever start to use a trailer, I guess it would also be handy for that.

Chris was spot on with both of his.
Mattswan was also right with the foothold.
Not sure about what shape I'd be throwing if I ever attempted water-skiing though but I'll bear that in mind.
:waterski

When I just had a couple of cheap foam garden kneelers taped to the seat, there was enough friction to keep my lardy @rse in place, however when I upgraded to a comfy padded seat cover & bag combo, I found the material very slippery and struggled to avoid falling off transom-wards. During the Wild West Adventure, I made a loop in the painter to use as a handhold which got me by but it wasn't very comfy, so I planned to make something better with a proper handle. Then I came across the video linked below, which showed a design for an aid to get back in after falling overboard, also how to use it as a means of righting an overturned boat, both from the water and from standing on the upturned hull of the boat.

(It's in Russian but the soundtrack isn't necessary as the demos are very clear, it's really worth watching all the way through if you haven't already seen it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xxftu0 ... e=youtu.be

Martin was also spot on with his suggestions 1 and 2;
on No. 3, as he intimated, the rope circumference is a bit too thick (hence I carry a spare cord in my tool-pack for that purpose);
Nos. 4 & 5 - we were too poor when I was a wee lad to have an Action Man :? but there's another little fella that liked the idea, see photo below:
Mickey.jpg
Mickey
As to Martin's No 6 - I've never read or seen Fifty Shades, so I can only imagine what sort of thing he might have in mind. :shame

However I do have this book on my Kindle though, it's much more my cup of tea: :lol:
Fifty Sheds of Grey.jpg
Fifty Sheds
Thanks for the input, if anyone else has any other ideas please feel free to post.

:cheers
These users thanked the author rogerblack for the post (total 2):
Paul (12 Jan 2017, 21:58) • Martin (07 Jun 2020, 18:14)
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

User avatar
9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Posts: 932
Joined: 12 Feb 2016, 13:56
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI
Location: The Republic of Texas
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by 9-R » 12 Jan 2017, 13:35

3rd use - I wanna see you waterskiing with it!
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by Paul B » 12 Jan 2017, 14:02

9-R wrote:3rd use - I wanna see you waterskiing with it!
Having met Roger, so would I , :lol:

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by rogerblack » 12 Jan 2017, 16:00

Paul B wrote:
9-R wrote:3rd use - I wanna see you waterskiing with it!
Having met Roger, so would I , :lol:
If Barnes Wallis could succeed in getting a large, heavy, barrel-shaped object to skim lightly across the surface of the water,
then there's hope for me yet!! :lol:

:cheers
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Mystery Object - can you guess its functions?

Post by Paul B » 12 Jan 2017, 16:22

rogerblack wrote:
Paul B wrote:
9-R wrote:3rd use - I wanna see you waterskiing with it!
Having met Roger, so would I , :lol:
If Barnes Wallis could succeed in getting a large, heavy, barrel-shaped object to skim lightly across the surface of the water,
then there's hope for me yet!! :lol:

:cheers
I think I will have to get the big boat out then Roger, :lol:

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”