The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
User avatar
The Gurnard
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 09:30
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Location: West Coast Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 223 times

The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Post by The Gurnard » 09 Dec 2016, 13:22

Winter is a good time to do all those little jobs that make using the boat as easy as possible . It often means improving and refining make shift ideas used in the past season :D

An example is my F RIB.. It could do with the Yamaha 6HP outboard lifted around 15mm..to ensure the cavitation plate is not too deep below the transom. I didn’t suffer from spray being thrown up. In fact it was a beautiful clean wake..but I always felt it was marginally more efficient with less drag due to the deeper propeller depth.
Spacer_1.jpg
My Brother’s F Rib 330 however ..suffered a significant spray throw up from his Yamaha 6HP.
Spacer_1a.jpg
He cured it by using a wooden transom spacer..which was just a block of 15mm thick wood. It worked well.. but he keeps his boat assembled all summer.
Spacer_1b.jpg
My problem with the method he used.. is I was always forgetting or losing the piece of wood. So I tended not to bother with a spacer. However it was always on the back of my mind to make a better solution.

This is what I came up with.. . I cant loose or forget the spacers now..nor will I curse as I fit the outboard and inadvertently knock the wooden spacer off the transom . Two wooden spacers cut to the size of the outboard clamps.. with a couple of cable ties threaded through holes drilled in the spacers.
Spacer_2.jpg
A splash of paint to make them look like expensive bought bits.. and use cable ties to attach them to the outboard clamps.
Spacer_3.jpg
Its now very easy to put the outboard on a mount or transom ..as the spacers are a “fit and forget fixture”. If I want to remove or change them..its a simple case of cutting the cable ties. They don’t interfere with the lifting mechanism either.
Spacer_4.jpg
Another little DIY job out the way to make sure my boating experience ... come the spring..is kept as simple and enjoyable as possible. :D
These users thanked the author The Gurnard for the post:
Gybemaster (10 Dec 2016, 19:58)

warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Posts: 645
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Montrose -Scotland
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Post by warder54 » 09 Dec 2016, 14:56

Nice one Donny, look well posh for a bodge :whistle

I did wonder if my Mariner 15 might need this on the 360, but on last weeks run the fin was skimming the surface nicely - I could even read the name on it! no cavitation even in the turns so seems a perfect match.
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Post by mattswan2512 » 09 Dec 2016, 16:30

Thats the thing with manual trim you need the cav plate deep enough not to cavitate in turns but not toooooo deep as to cause spray. Well done there donny. Good looking little mod there.
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Post by rogerblack » 09 Dec 2016, 16:35

:wavey

I wish my mind worked the way yours does, Donny!

As I scanned down your post, when I came to the picture of the two blocks of wood with cable ties, my first thought was -
surely he's not gonna drill holes through his pristine new F-RIB transom!

Then I scrolled further to the next pic - doh, slaps forehead!

So obvious when you see it, that's why my function in life is to copy other folk's practical ideas rather than be able to create my own.

Which is why this is such a great forum - thanks for sharing!

:cheers
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Post by chris moody » 09 Dec 2016, 18:59

What a fantastic mod. I need to do that on my twatsu 9.8 as I'm forever dropping the bits of wood off the transom when mounting the engine.


--
Chris Moody
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

User avatar
9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Posts: 932
Joined: 12 Feb 2016, 13:56
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI
Location: The Republic of Texas
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Post by 9-R » 09 Dec 2016, 21:02

I like the zip tie idea, excellent!

Was bummed that I didn't have a choice. The small short shaft mercs are known for being too long with a short clamp side. Mine measured around 17.25 inches instead of 15. My transom measured exactly at 15 inches. I experimented with blocks at first but the clamps came too close to the transom edge as it was raised and I was afraid of damage or losing the outboard. Unfortunately I had to resort to installing a plate and bracket so that I could raise the engine enough so that it hit the leg properly. I cut a slot so that it was quickly adjustable in height as I continued to experiment.

With this extension, I could clamp the engine higher than the transom which worked really well.
IMG_20160407_184820_800.jpg
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Post by Martin » 09 Dec 2016, 22:09

Who's a clever Chappy then ... :mrgreen:
What a cracking, but yet so simple mod Donny.
Great idea, great pics to show it and simplicity at its best. Love it !!!
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Post by Paul » 10 Dec 2016, 22:49

Yup, great mod there Donny and so simple 8-) :Hats
Love these ideas ...... I still can't believe how long it took us to think of putting wheels on suit cases :lol:

User avatar
Fishery Pokery Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 29 May 2017, 16:11
Boat Make: Honwave T38IE
Outboard: Yamaha 15hp, Mariner 8hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: North East
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: The "Fit N' Forget" Transom Spacer

Post by Fishery Pokery » 02 Jun 2017, 22:35

What a brilliant idea.

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: The

Post by chris moody » 03 Jun 2017, 11:32

Thanks Donny, just making my own set.

8cffaf1e94780d5c6f779987fe56744f.jpg
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”