Page 1 of 1

Wheel camber

Posted: 13 Apr 2019, 20:31
by Wrighty1121
J have a 4.5m humber assault on what I was told is on the correct trailer.

I have notice both wheels are angled with a negative camber. Is this normal or is there a repair I need to look into.

Cheers

Re: Wheel camber

Posted: 14 Apr 2019, 01:14
by Salty Pete
I have had a lot of experience with trailers and trailer axles as far as I have seen are dead straight.
I don't know which way negative camber is but any camber in the wheels would as far as I am aware, be due to a bent axle, caused by bearing too much weight.
I would check the axles to see if they are bent.

Re: Wheel camber

Posted: 14 Apr 2019, 06:31
by simonk
Could you post up a picture?

Re: Wheel camber

Posted: 14 Apr 2019, 07:33
by ChrisParish
I’ve done a quick bit of research on this as I have been working on a trailer recently.
First - positive vs negative camber.
F3C5347D-1EC9-4D34-BA1D-27DABC79C481.jpeg
F3C5347D-1EC9-4D34-BA1D-27DABC79C481.jpeg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
When weight is placed upon the trailer it applies a bending force to the axel units which creates a sight negative camber. To counter this most units are made with a slight positive camber built in so that when loaded they sit with zero camber. These built in allowances are very small, with a boat trailer which probably weighs a few hundred kilos on its own you would probably never notice them.
If you have visible negative camber then something is badly bent or well beyond its design weight limit.
Check if the cross members are bent or if it is the axels themselves.

Re: Wheel camber

Posted: 14 Apr 2019, 12:30
by warder54
I had the same problem, on the way back from Oban I noticed my trailer tyres were bald over the inner 2 thirds of tread. Finished the journey home very carefully. On inspection I found the same problem you have. I had to get a new axle as the hub mount and suspension on mine are all integral, only the hubs can be changed. The suspension rubber inserts had collapsed causing the negative camber you describe. I'd recommend sorting it now before your tyres are knacked and become potential points to be added to your license.

Re: Wheel camber

Posted: 16 Apr 2019, 22:41
by Wrighty1121
Cheers for the advice, I'll be taking the boat off the trailer in a few weeks. Will be looking at sorting the trailer then.