Boston Whaler Montauk 170 (2011)

If you have craft other than a small Rib / Sib or Frib, Then this is the place to tell us all about it.
Canoes, Kayaks, Hardshells, Sailboats... etc
Forum rules
Please use your craft type/make/model as a header to help with the search facility.
9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Re: Boston Whaler Montauk 170 (2011)

Post by 9-R » 11 May 2017, 16:53

Had no idea that place existed. Interesting.

Sounds like fun. We haven't made it up that way in a while. I get skittish now heading up the river much past the Rebecca Creek launch site. Unfortunately I wouldn't want to beach our hull near the rapids and now sure how I'd safely tie off in the current.
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

gwozhog
Advanced Member
Boat Make: Achilles spd310 and sg124
Outboard: Yamaha 8hp
Yamaha 15hp
Nissan 15hp

Post by gwozhog » 11 May 2017, 18:50

they charge 5 bucks for kids and 10 for adults to swim in there pool.
I dated a girl once in school and her Father told me I would never amount to anything. He was right!

9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster

Post by 9-R » 17 Jul 2017, 14:33

Been trying to accommodate our family's needs and wants without butchering the hull or console by making any holes or penetrations.

We've been needing additional water bottle holders, a phone holder, additional 12v power outlet with extension and an aft bench seat. With the boat up in storage, and not much time on our outings for other than fun, it was difficult trying to figure out the aft seat setup.

Found some very cheap bike handle water bottle clamps. They literally came on the slow boat from China taking several weeks to come in. They fit nicely on grab rail around the console and worked great!
P1100129_1080.jpg
P1100130_1080.jpg
Had an idea to use the live well and rod holders for the base of a bench seat instead of the pain of removing it altogether. Two plastic poles, clamped to an aluminum angle, slide into the rod holders to keep the seat in place. The seat is mounted to a board which is attached to a continuous hinge to still allow access to the live well. Looks rough since it's more of prototype than the final product. The seat needs to be folded down for when the engine is fully tilted up but this only occurs during launch and retrieval. The pipes into the rod holders still allow for my fishing rods to slide in.

My oldest daughter, for whom it was intended, loved it. :thumbsup It kept her in the middle of the boat with less boat movement and away from spray. Everyone had to try it out and were shocked at how well it fit and rode. Next up is for me to clean it up and find a bench seat to mount to it so that two can ride in the back.
P1100132.JPG
P1100134.JPG
P1100139.JPG
P1100140.JPG
The 12v power extension wound being a pain. In order to get it down through the access hole for connection to the battery, I had to remove the windshield and several other items.

9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster

Post by 9-R » 17 Jul 2017, 14:58

Also been enjoying the economy change in prop pitch and the 4-blade. It's been nice topping off the tank with 9 gallons instead of 11-12 for our typical outing. :drive

9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster

Post by 9-R » 15 Oct 2018, 18:11

Finally got around to having the boat name printed and put on so the kids are very happy.
Luna Boat Name - Middle, Gabriola, Crescent, Lowercase_800.jpg

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 15 Oct 2018, 22:15

Looking good 9-R 👍🏻
Are you still getting plenty of use out of it?
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster

Post by 9-R » 16 Oct 2018, 12:11

Thanks, and yes, we head out about once a month on average. More than our SIB since we don't get wet in the cooler months.

My wife has gotten good with launching and retrieving the boat which makes it easier for me. I see a lot of envious guys watching at the boat ramp.

Taking her down to the coast for several days at the end of November if the weather is decent. More worried about the long highway drive than anything.

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 16 Oct 2018, 14:48

9-R wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 12:11
Taking her down to the coast for several days at the end of November if the weather is decent. More worried about the long highway drive than anything.
That’s a must have picture..
I’ll bet that’s a long old rig when coupled up ohyeh

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster

Post by 9-R » 06 Dec 2018, 18:37

Finally got our chance to take Luna out on the bay and in the gulf. Thanks to some awesome friends of ours who let us stay at their place while they were gone, we were able to relax and play for several days. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and it was unusually cool/cold for our area.

Our minivan does well towing but I like to take it easy. We still only managed about 12-13 mpg. Seemed to take forever to cover the 200 miles to their place. Reviewed and prepped everything ready for the journey. New grease in wheel hubs, checked tires, fluids, air shocks, wiring, lights, battery, etc.
P1100907_1920.jpg
The house is located on a private community canal on the bay side of the island. There is a free public boat launch about 2 miles down the main ICW canal in the Harbor. Launched easily while the Missus nervously and reluctantly drove the trailer back. Cruising down the ICW, I must have seen 30+ dolphins. Some so close I thought I was going to hit them. Was disappointed the family wasn't with me but knew we'd take a dolphin tour in one of the following days.
IMG_20181120_140202_1200.jpg
IMG_20181120_141351_1200.jpg
IMG_20181120_155308_1200.jpg
Was pumped that the owners had their boat in the garage for either maintenance or winter storage. We then got to use this awesome boat lift for our docking instead of being tied up. Helped me to sleep better at night not having to worry about tides or how well my knot making was.
IMG_20181120_145238_1200.jpg
Took the family out for the dolphin tour and took videos but they didn't turn out well. The water isn't clear in our area so it's difficult to see where they are going to pop up and film it. Everyone was excited to see a dolphin jump way into the air including a baby dolphin jumping.

This is the part I really wish I had filmed: Family was cold and wanted to head back but I wanted to stay out. Told Mrs 9r that I was going to head out by myself and piddle around. She asked where I was going............ I lightly mentioned through the channel and out onto the Gulf/Ocean. She said she was coming with me to keep me safe...just in case... She's awesome and got herself bundled up in layers. She didn't say a negative word the entire time because she knew how excited I was.

Went through the main ship canal with the wind blowing about 20-30mph, cloudy skies and a light mist. Rolling waves grew more and more as we ventured out while I took it easy at around 7-10mph. As I got near the end of the jetties, a Pilot boat, heading out to one of the freighters, went flying past us skipping along the tops of the waves. It was awesome. When we finally got out onto open waters, the swells were 10-12 foot rolling waves. Felt like a roller coaster and Luna handled it beautifully. Crazy fishermen were at the end of this approximately 500 foot long jetty getting blasted by the spray of the waves crashing against it. I was having a blast but decided to turn around soon, just in case. Was interesting riding the swells back through the canal. Having the boat at about 23mph kept me with the roll and the bow pointed slightly down into the ride.

My other highlights were when I was heading to the ramp to put the boat back on the trailer at the end of our stay.

Two large barges were approaching each other in the ICW canal. The one near me must have been empty since it was clipping along pretty good at about 20mph. I was doing about 30 when I passed him and forgot about the front wake. The rolling waves were large and hard to identify with the cloudy skies and dark water. I was standing at the console when I hit them and had to fully absorb the movement with my legs. Twice the engine rpms screamed as I believe I got Luna airborne. I was traveling with the large round waves so the landing was quite soft and interesting. Big smile on my face.

Next was when I approached the boat ramp in the Harbor. Mrs 9r was suppose to swap vehicles with me at the docks so I could back the trailer up while she drove the boat. Instead I saw her attempt to back the trailer down the ramp. I thought she misunderstood me and was going to be irate the rest of the day because she thought she had to do this. Instead, she was very successful, got out of the van when done, and jumped up and down, whooping and hollering. Everyone in the quiet harbor turned to look and I was very proud of her with another big smile on my face.

One of the first days was the worse weather wise so we took the family to the local aquarium and had a very good time.
DSC01537_1080.jpg
DSC01566_1080.jpg
Great trip but wishing I had more videos. Next time I'll have to remember or buy a gopro to mount at the helm.
These users thanked the author 9-R for the post:
Andy B (09 Dec 2018, 22:34)

warder54 Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Mar 15 2 st
Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10

Post by warder54 » 07 Dec 2018, 15:52

Great post 9R, and an awesome wife. My wife wants to learn to tow the boat so I can tow the caravan when we go away. Nice boat btw, about the same size as my Smartwave.
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Return to “The Darkside -All other craft this way ...”