Honwave launch wheel modifacation
-
Jakeyboy
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 247
- Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
- Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
- Outboard: Honda bf20
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: GIRVAN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 19 times
Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation
Yeah that sounds like a plan Mitch,ive ordered enough to make 2 sets, great idea though
-
Jakeyboy
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 247
- Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
- Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
- Outboard: Honda bf20
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: GIRVAN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 19 times
Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation
Well i got the twin wheel conversion done today,local engineering shop turned my bar down for me, got home drilled and installed ,tried engine on , They do touch on almost full lock but only contact the tyre so not a big problem really ,i dont do many donuts anyhow lol
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation
Nice little mod there J.B.
Be interesting to know how hard it'll be to get the wheels deployed when coming ashore as we will be wrestling against the added buoyancy in my larger and your double tyres
.
Time will tell
Be interesting to know how hard it'll be to get the wheels deployed when coming ashore as we will be wrestling against the added buoyancy in my larger and your double tyres
Time will tell
-
Jakeyboy
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 247
- Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
- Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
- Outboard: Honda bf20
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: GIRVAN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 19 times
Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation
Yep im pretty pleased with it Gordon , do you put your wheels down from inside the boat ? I usualy jump out with the waders on in about 3ft of water and find it eisier to get wheels down but your right extra bouyancy will make it harder, just hope it helps on gravell beaches
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation
Hi J.B
With my T3.5ae the transom wheels are the up and over ones - I made a pole to hook onto the hub to push the barrow wheels under the water. It's a doddle, however the bendy T3.8 ones are quite awkward.
If I'm beach landing and the waves are breaking I'll try and anchor up and put them on nearby if there is a sheltered area.
If I'm landing in the shelter of a harbour or a relatively calm section of coast l'll attach them as you describe in around 3ft of water
They can be a PITA tho when the sib is bobbing up and down with the motion of the sea and you are trying to line the pin holes up whilst fighting the buoyancy of the air in the tyres.
I find it easier to drop anchor so that the bow is facing in to the oncoming waves.
Either way I'd prefer it without the trim tabs like the 3.5ae so the straight up and down wheels could be easily deployed - other than that I can't fault the T3.8.

With my T3.5ae the transom wheels are the up and over ones - I made a pole to hook onto the hub to push the barrow wheels under the water. It's a doddle, however the bendy T3.8 ones are quite awkward.
If I'm beach landing and the waves are breaking I'll try and anchor up and put them on nearby if there is a sheltered area.
If I'm landing in the shelter of a harbour or a relatively calm section of coast l'll attach them as you describe in around 3ft of water
They can be a PITA tho when the sib is bobbing up and down with the motion of the sea and you are trying to line the pin holes up whilst fighting the buoyancy of the air in the tyres.
I find it easier to drop anchor so that the bow is facing in to the oncoming waves.
Either way I'd prefer it without the trim tabs like the 3.5ae so the straight up and down wheels could be easily deployed - other than that I can't fault the T3.8.
-
Mitch
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 575
- Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
- Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Swindon
- Has thanked: 118 times
- Been thanked: 113 times
Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation
To get the holes lined up I find I have to hold the tubes at the bottom near the wheels which means I have get my arm in the water & if I have my floatation suit on it’s not pleasant. I think I need to look at some kind of rod to maybe hold them in place like kaman does. With 2wheels I would probably need 2 hands holding them in place then how do I get the pins in. Like life in general it’s a problem.
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation
I didn't find them too difficult on the T38, i just shoved them in the holders and then swivelled them round with one hand and dropped the pin in with the other hand. I did however keep my shafts clean and well lubed up with Vaseline
I'm blessed with long arms and long legs which probably helped. Only problem is - i look 3ft tall when sat down. Daddy long legs style
I'm blessed with long arms and long legs which probably helped. Only problem is - i look 3ft tall when sat down. Daddy long legs style
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Jakeyboy
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 247
- Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
- Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
- Outboard: Honda bf20
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: GIRVAN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 19 times
Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation
Yep you've got to keep your shaft clean and well lubed before trying to enter lol
- DouglasW
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 236
- Joined: 10 Aug 2016, 18:51
- Boat Make: F-Rib 330
- Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5 - Location: West of Scotland
- Has thanked: 14 times
- Been thanked: 93 times
Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation
Hi JB, I think you will find the twin tyres on each axle will work well on sand. My 55kg outboard, on my homemade trolley, just sank in the sand with only two wheels on the axle. Adding another two wheels made it a piece of cake to move the outboard on sand.
Douglas
Douglas



