TrueKit Navigator

Here you can document your Outboards, SIB's and RIB's re-building challenge.
Restoration is satisfying, a great way to learn, and usually a way of getting something special whilst saving money..
Please make a "New Topic" for EACH build.
theins Australia
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

TrueKit Navigator

Post by theins » 17 Aug 2020, 01:03

Hi,
during the lockdown I did my research and once we were allowed out again I bought a TrueKit Navigator 300, which is big enough for two of us to go exploring.
TrueKit_TH.jpg
Having fitted beachmaster wheels we are able to launch pretty much anywhere which is exactly what we were after.
Beachmaster wheels.jpg
For power I decided on a Yamaha 6hp 4 stroke. Given that we (i.e. I) need to be able to manhandle the motor, I wanted to avoid the larger and heavier engines. Maybe I am getting old, but I find the 30kg of the 6hp awkward enough to carry around. Don't need to add to the degree of difficulty by adding another 10kg.

I also got a replacement prop which is cupped so that it works better with the cat hull of the boat (manufacturer's recommendation).

We have had it out a few times and are loving it.

Noted the difference the cupped prop made compared to the OEM - big step up. When I am on my own, I get it on plane when positioning my weight forward which is great and it does go at a decent clip. Have not measured yet as the app I installed kept freezing on me.

When out and about with a passenger, I am struggling to get it on plane. Works when passenger drives and I position my weight in the bow (up to 11knts). Does not work when I sit in the back. Stern digs in, but does not come up on plane and speed about 6 knts at full throttle.

Also played with trim levels, but no joy. Am considering adding a hydrofoil to the engine. According to the website it should help. reading the various posts on this forum, there seem to be divergent views on this topic.
Keen to hear from the people here about their experience to get a view on whether it is worth it. I am not keen on drilling holes into the engine but there does not seem to be a clamp on version for small outboards...
Hydrofoil.jpg
Any thoughts appreciated.
These users thanked the author theins for the post:
Martin (26 Oct 2020, 13:16)

theins Australia
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by theins » 30 Aug 2020, 23:09

I thought I'd share my recent experience...

I have decided to get the foil installed - It's called permatrim, but essentially the same thing as in the picture above.

Have had the boat out once since the install and initial impression is positive
- seems to come onto plane faster than before
- I don't have to move my weight forward as I had to prior to the install to get it on plane
- seems to be happily cruising at around 12-13 knts at half throttle

Now I just need to get it tested with a passenger on board...
These users thanked the author theins for the post:
Martin (26 Oct 2020, 13:12)

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by Martin » 26 Oct 2020, 13:16

Hi @theins -
What a great post and thanks for sharing, apologies for the lack of response, i'd not seen the post and i guess many are like myself and ground down by the Covid-19 battering the worlds taking. :wedgie

I used to use a Stingray Junior hydrofoil on my Honwave T38ie and by god it made a hell of a difference.
So many people fit cheap wings that just don't seem to cut the mustard, where'as the hydrofoils like yours and the one i purchased do appear to work.

Great feedback, Have you been out since with crew ?

Martin :cheers
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
theins (02 Nov 2020, 08:22)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

surfstar United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Oct 2020, 22:57
MMSI Number: 10
Location: SANTA BARBARA
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by surfstar » 27 Oct 2020, 23:05

@theins - I'm very interested in how your Navigator goes with the cupped prop, two passengers, and a bit of gear.
I'm pretty much set on getting a True Kit Discovery. I'm just not sure on size and motor. 90% of the time I'll be solo I think, so the smaller boat + a Suzuki 6 hp 4 stroke (lightest in class at 24kg/52.8lb) would be fine most of the time. For a second person and more gear, though, I fear the 6 hp won't be enough on either size Discovery. To maintain the fold-up and portable aspect, I think I'd have to scour the used market for a 9.8 Tohatsu - might be quite hard to find in California, but they pack a 2-stroke punch at 26kg/57.2lb and should be great on the 3.3 Discovery. If you can't tell, I've been reading and dreaming about a setup... :lol:

If you are able to get up on a plane with two people and gear, please report back! That'd be great to know...

theins Australia
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by theins » 02 Nov 2020, 08:38

surfstar wrote: ↑
27 Oct 2020, 23:05
@theins - I'm very interested in how your Navigator goes with the cupped prop, two passengers, and a bit of gear.
I'm pretty much set on getting a True Kit Discovery. I'm just not sure on size and motor. 90% of the time I'll be solo I think, so the smaller boat + a Suzuki 6 hp 4 stroke (lightest in class at 24kg/52.8lb) would be fine most of the time. For a second person and more gear, though, I fear the 6 hp won't be enough on either size Discovery. To maintain the fold-up and portable aspect, I think I'd have to scour the used market for a 9.8 Tohatsu - might be quite hard to find in California, but they pack a 2-stroke punch at 26kg/57.2lb and should be great on the 3.3 Discovery. If you can't tell, I've been reading and dreaming about a setup... :lol:

If you are able to get up on a plane with two people and gear, please report back! That'd be great to know...
I can tell.... not that long ago that I have been pouring over websites, comparing and assessing, etc... part of the fun, actually... Yes, the engine, what a nuisance of a compromise to be made... 6hp for two people is at the margin. If I position my weight at the front, it works ok-ish. If I "drive" the engine struggles to get the boat on plane. Got a tiller extension, but have not yet tried it out.
When on my own, the 6hp is fine, cruising happily at 24kph. Played with the OEM prop and the cupped prop. I found that with the OEM prop the engine worked harder and struggles to get on plane, but once on plane the run seems to be smoother. With the cupped prop it comes up on plane faster and easier, but the the ride is not as smooth as it occasionally seems to get air.

With hindsight I wish I had opted for the 9.9 Yamaha (and stuff the 10 kg's).
These users thanked the author theins for the post:
surfstar (04 Nov 2020, 23:59)

Hotairdrifter United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 04 Nov 2020, 14:13
Boat Make: Sea Eagle 10'-6" Sport Ru
Outboard: Evinrude 9.5 HP
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Houghton Lake MICHIGAN
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by Hotairdrifter » 05 Nov 2020, 15:05

Hello Truekit
Hotairdrifter from Northern Michigan, USA 1st post for me.
I recently (Aug 30, 2020) purchased a 10.5' (3.2) and have an older 9.5 he 2 stroke that gets on plane quite quickly with myself and 6 gallons of fuel and 10 lb anchor, GPS says17 MPH with near flat water, slight chop.

surfstar United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Oct 2020, 22:57
MMSI Number: 10
Location: SANTA BARBARA
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by surfstar » 22 Nov 2020, 21:55

theins wrote: ↑
02 Nov 2020, 08:38
With hindsight I wish I had opted for the 9.9 Yamaha (and stuff the 10 kg's).
Hope the tiller extension will help ya a bit! I'd also suggest to ensure the tubes are fully inflated - cold water can shrink them if you topped them off on land / in the sun prior to casting off. That little bit might be the difference...

I'm pretty sure I've resigned myself to the 6hp Suzuki - I imagine it will be just myself the majority of the time, and we surf and dive in the coastal waters, so I have a hard time justifying/allowing myself to use a 2stroke anymore. (don't worry, I don't assume we'd plane with dive gear onboard!) Even assuming I switched to a "bio/eco" 2stroke oil, there is still 30% of fuel that simply passes through unburnt! I'm hoping that the longer 330 Discovery and a couple kilo lighter outboard will be enough to make it plane with two up. I plan on getting a custom prop that Truekit sells. Last resort is the permatrim like you added. If after all that, it can't plane, then I might have to make my peace and search out the 9.8 Tohatsu; knowing that I tried hard to avoid the polluting! I've seen one or two for sale a distance away, so I know they can be found with patience.

Rod's boats are all out of stock, but should have some coming in late Nov and Dec - I asked him to reserve a Dec one for me. So hopefully I'll have my setup ready to play in the new year.

Please keep updating this with your experience, as there is very little info on the Truekits out there. A bit more on Takacats, but even that is thin. I've had a wood floor, air floor and a RIB - I'm looking forward to this new cat-style air floor - light, compact and hopefully goes well...

cheers
These users thanked the author surfstar for the post:
theins (12 Dec 2020, 00:02)

DK22 New Zealand
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Nov 2020, 08:26
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Mt Roskill
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by DK22 » 29 Nov 2020, 08:49

Hi all,

I too am in line for a true kit 3m navigator once they're in stock come December. Have purchased a 8h Yamaha 2 stroke in advance. First boat for me so I am eeaaagerly awaiting its arrival, many hours of research/speculating over the last few months - sure many of you can relate.

Has anyone got any feedback using these boats in some reasonable chop? How wet are we talking? Have you always felt safe? Hard to find any info/videos. Any tips in general for when skippering these boats?

Thanks in advance, exciting times!
These users thanked the author DK22 for the post:
surfstar (30 Nov 2020, 21:54)

surfstar United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Oct 2020, 22:57
MMSI Number: 10
Location: SANTA BARBARA
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by surfstar » 08 Dec 2020, 23:56

DK22 wrote: ↑
29 Nov 2020, 08:49
Has anyone got any feedback using these boats in some reasonable chop? How wet are we talking? Have you always felt safe? Hard to find any info/videos. Any tips in general for when skippering these boats?
If you haven't yet, search on YouTube for Truekit and Takacat videos to see how others are doing with them. I think they'll handle chop as well as a standard SIB. They won't have the v-hull of a decent sized RIB, but should stay on top of the waves a bit more vs cutting through them.

I've previously had an older Mercury branded inflatable with high pressure floor (3.4m) running a 15 hp two-stroke and later a 14' (4.3m) RIB + 40 hp two-stroke. The RIB was better at cutting through chop, for sure. I'm going for portable/packable with the Truekit and know I'll have to compromise a bit, but also know it'll beach-launch easy by myself whereas the RIB was a 3-man job.
Of note the 330 Truekit has larger tubes 45/50 cm for 300/330 vs only 40 cm for my old Mercury SIB. Should help it ride higher and drier, I believe.

theins Australia
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by theins » 12 Dec 2020, 00:09

DK22 wrote: ↑
29 Nov 2020, 08:49
Hi all,

I too am in line for a true kit 3m navigator once they're in stock come December. Have purchased a 8h Yamaha 2 stroke in advance. First boat for me so I am eeaaagerly awaiting its arrival, many hours of research/speculating over the last few months - sure many of you can relate.

Has anyone got any feedback using these boats in some reasonable chop? How wet are we talking? Have you always felt safe? Hard to find any info/videos. Any tips in general for when skippering these boats?

Thanks in advance, exciting times!
I have so far only used it on lakes and rivers so no experience yet with choppy conditions.

My first boat too, so still learning the ropes. Always felt safe, but it does take a bit of getting used to that it does not lean into corners.

Post Reply

Return to “My Boat / My Build...”