Eva foam flooring

Here you can document your Outboards, SIB's and RIB's re-building challenge.
Restoration is satisfying, a great way to learn, and usually a way of getting something special whilst saving money..
Please make a "New Topic" for EACH build.
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38ie
Outboard: Mariner 5hp 2 stroke | Mariner 9.9hp Four Stroke
MMSI Number: 235916094

Re: Eva foam flooring

Post by ChrisParish » 12 Nov 2018, 04:07

Please excuse the off topic question, but in the picture a couple of posts ago there is an f-rib with a steering console. I know that this was being developed a while ago, but does anyone know what happened to it?
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

chris moody Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Ribcraft 4.8 Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Honda BF50 Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806

Post by chris moody » 12 Nov 2018, 08:04

Didn't F-rib put steering on the one that Chris Pell attempted to go round England in?
Chris Moody
Tigga 2: Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

PeterM
Veteran Member

Post by PeterM » 12 Nov 2018, 08:47

I think the round Britain one was grey , but the steering pod & set up was neat - but in real terms surely you'd loose the benefits of folding by having a 25hp engine & all the remote set up hassle / trailer if not folded .

( I still liked it as I like small boats :) )

chris moody Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Ribcraft 4.8 Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Honda BF50 Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806

Post by chris moody » 12 Nov 2018, 10:52

I agree, I don't see the point in having a fold up boat, and then adding stuff that makes it hard or impossible to fold it up. It removes the big benefit of a folding rib or sib, the fact it folds up for easy transportation.

PeterM wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 08:47
I think the round Britain one was grey , but the steering pod & set up was neat - but in real terms surely you'd loose the benefits of folding by having a 25hp engine & all the remote set up hassle / trailer if not folded .

( I still liked it as I like small boats :) )
Chris Moody
Tigga 2: Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 12 Nov 2018, 21:17

Oh jeeez, the dreaded “ Round Britain Challenge” :LMT

The f-rib in question was supposed to be an f-rib 375, it soon turned out to be a frib 360.
The one you see in those images is not the challenge boat, that boat was indeed grey.

The consol fitted to that image boat is (I believe) the later design consol that was on the frib website for a short while, it does appear to have disappeared these days.
The later design consol had room on it for nav equipment etc and had a much more sturdy design that it’s original counterpart.

Though mounted on glued attachments, the consol was pretty sturdy when in place and didn’t let go during the “around Britain” attempt. Though in fairness, it was hardly subject to any abuse as the challenge failed on day 3 if I recall correctly.

I’m a massive fan of the f-rib, it’s one hell of a small and portable craft that does exactly what it was designed to do. Would I add a consol to mine?
Not on your nelly !

Foldable by name, foldable by nature... add a consol and you might as well bolt on a cabin for afternoon tea and cucumber sandwiches.

There are so many good small ribs out there offering either tiller or remotes, no need to make a folding boat rigid.
The proper small ribs will handle the elements far better than a frib.

If you need a folding boat, then a sib or frib is perfect. If you want consoles etc, then buy a small rib. :thumbsup

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Return to “My Boat / My Build...”