Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Here you can document your Outboards, SIB's and RIB's re-building challenge.
Restoration is satisfying, a great way to learn, and usually a way of getting something special whilst saving money..
Please make a "New Topic" for EACH build.
Jakeyboy Scotland
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
Outboard: Honda bf20
MMSI Number: 10
Location: GIRVAN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by Jakeyboy » 24 Nov 2017, 12:09

Yeah that sounds like a plan Mitch,ive ordered enough to make 2 sets, great idea though

Jakeyboy Scotland
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
Outboard: Honda bf20
MMSI Number: 10
Location: GIRVAN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by Jakeyboy » 24 Nov 2017, 17:13

Well i got the twin wheel conversion done today,local engineering shop turned my bar down for me, got home drilled and installed ,tried engine on , They do touch on almost full lock but only contact the tyre so not a big problem really ,i dont do many donuts anyhow lol
Attachments
20171124_153324.jpg
20171124_153345.jpg
20171124_153415.jpg
20171124_153758.jpg
20171124_154912.jpg
20171124_154857.jpg
20171124_155208.jpg
20171124_154928.jpg
20171124_160226.jpg

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by kaman » 24 Nov 2017, 17:23

Nice little mod there J.B. :thumbsup
Be interesting to know how hard it'll be to get the wheels deployed when coming ashore as we will be wrestling against the added buoyancy in my larger and your double tyres :idea: .
Time will tell :drive

Jakeyboy Scotland
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
Outboard: Honda bf20
MMSI Number: 10
Location: GIRVAN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by Jakeyboy » 24 Nov 2017, 17:38

Yep im pretty pleased with it Gordon , do you put your wheels down from inside the boat ? I usualy jump out with the waders on in about 3ft of water and find it eisier to get wheels down but your right extra bouyancy will make it harder, just hope it helps on gravell beaches

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by kaman » 25 Nov 2017, 11:09

Hi J.B
With my T3.5ae the transom wheels are the up and over ones - I made a pole to hook onto the hub to push the barrow wheels under the water. It's a doddle, however the bendy T3.8 ones are quite awkward.
If I'm beach landing and the waves are breaking I'll try and anchor up and put them on nearby if there is a sheltered area.
If I'm landing in the shelter of a harbour or a relatively calm section of coast l'll attach them as you describe in around 3ft of water
They can be a PITA tho when the sib is bobbing up and down with the motion of the sea and you are trying to line the pin holes up whilst fighting the buoyancy of the air in the tyres.
I find it easier to drop anchor so that the bow is facing in to the oncoming waves.
Either way I'd prefer it without the trim tabs like the 3.5ae so the straight up and down wheels could be easily deployed - other than that I can't fault the T3.8. :thumbsup :drive

Mitch England
Veteran Member
Posts: 575
Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Swindon
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by Mitch » 26 Nov 2017, 12:19

To get the holes lined up I find I have to hold the tubes at the bottom near the wheels which means I have get my arm in the water & if I have my floatation suit on it’s not pleasant. I think I need to look at some kind of rod to maybe hold them in place like kaman does. With 2wheels I would probably need 2 hands holding them in place then how do I get the pins in. Like life in general it’s a problem.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by Martin » 26 Nov 2017, 12:31

I didn't find them too difficult on the T38, i just shoved them in the holders and then swivelled them round with one hand and dropped the pin in with the other hand. I did however keep my shafts clean and well lubed up with Vaseline :lol:
I'm blessed with long arms and long legs which probably helped. Only problem is - i look 3ft tall when sat down. Daddy long legs style :lol:
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Jakeyboy Scotland
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
Outboard: Honda bf20
MMSI Number: 10
Location: GIRVAN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by Jakeyboy » 26 Nov 2017, 13:59

Yep you've got to keep your shaft clean and well lubed before trying to enter lol

User avatar
DouglasW
Advanced Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 10 Aug 2016, 18:51
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5
Location: West of Scotland
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by DouglasW » 30 Nov 2017, 20:09

Yammy15.jpg
Edit
Hi JB, I think you will find the twin tyres on each axle will work well on sand. My 55kg outboard, on my homemade trolley, just sank in the sand with only two wheels on the axle. Adding another two wheels made it a piece of cake to move the outboard on sand.

Douglas

Jakeyboy Scotland
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
Outboard: Honda bf20
MMSI Number: 10
Location: GIRVAN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Honwave launch wheel modifacation

Post by Jakeyboy » 30 Nov 2017, 22:41

Hey Douglas good to hear that like the stainless lynch pins

Post Reply

Return to “My Boat / My Build...”