Page 1 of 1

F-RIB 430, the one boat to rule them all???

Posted: 03 Jan 2019, 14:11
by outlaw4shrt
Hello,

I am in the market for an F-RIB or SIB for my family and I am hoping to get some feedback on the F-RIB 430 as an option. I have a family of five with two small dogs, and would primarily use the boat for recreation, fishing, and possibly water sports. I'd like to match the boat to an Evirude ETEC 30 as it would be more than enough power, requires little maintenance, is in my budget, and is eco friendly.

My questions are:

1) I'd like to fit a tow bar to the transom so that I could pull my kids on a tube, but I've seen very little mention of water sports in this forum and no pictures yet of an F-RIB being used for that purpose. Will an F-RIB transom support a tow bar and a tube with some toddlers in it?

2) What about a roll bar and launching wheels as well? Assuming spacing wasn't an issue, could the 430 transom support the weight of an E30DRG (150lbs), tow bar, roll bar, and launching wheels? I have plans to bring the boat out into open coastal waters in Croatia this summer for island hopping and I think having a rollbar with lights and an antenna mount would be wise. Additionally, the boats pretty big and I'm sure launching wheels would be very helpful as I don't think I'll be using a trailer.

3) Are there other options that I should be considering? I started out my search looking at Zodiacs, a MK3 Grand Raid would be more than capable, but they were expensive and much more difficult to set-up and take down than an F-RIB from what I can tell.

Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Adrian

Re: F-RIB 430, the one boat to rule them all???

Posted: 03 Jan 2019, 18:43
by harrison
Hi Adrian,

If you’re OK manhandling a 70kg 120x120x50cm lump onto the roof of your van then the F-rib 430 will be a great piece of kit.

We briefly had a 375 with a Suzuki 20 on the back and had no trouble towing teenagers on wakeboards, kneeboards, and toys. With an Etec 30 you’ll not even know they are there.

As the 430 is rated up to 30hp then assume the Etec will be fine weight wise...most modern 30’s weigh in around 60 to 70kg.

Transom will be fine to fit towing eyes for attachment of a bridle to tow with. No pics of the F-rib but our little Zodiac and Aerotec was kitted out for towing.

6213958C-5BB9-4377-AD0E-2E4A14D684AD.jpeg
Zodiac 350 towing bridle
657C321F-90F3-49A8-876D-1EA7B8E532C5.jpeg
Aerotec 380/kneeboard



Probably OK to fit an A frame (roll bar) if you can find one small enough although not necessary. Bear in mind you won’t be able to fold boat unless this is demountable. Also don’t load it too much though as F-rib transoms are not that meaty, and have no knee reinforcement (webs). Fine for lights and aerial etc. Personally don’t think this is a good idea.

Loads of different transom wheels out there so should be able to juggle fixings around other fittings. Actually A-frame fixings may also double up as towing eyes.

Enjoy your search for a new boat....exciting.

Re: F-RIB 430, the one boat to rule them all???

Posted: 10 Mar 2019, 13:17
by Drewgrundy14
Thinking of exactly the same apart from motor. I already have a mariner marathon 25hp which I love and should push the 430 along quite well. Currently running a pro wave 420 air floor which I don’t like.
Keep us informed of your progress.
Cheers

Re: F-RIB 430, the one boat to rule them all???

Posted: 17 Apr 2019, 10:27
by James
Wait for others, but I'd imagine you will be fine pulling a toy on the back.
I've towed a few boats in my F-360.

I love the E-Tec engines. Maybe one day I'll get one for mine.

Re: F-RIB 430, the one boat to rule them all???

Posted: 17 Apr 2019, 11:06
by chris moody
I'd just use a rope bridle permanently spliced onto a pair of eye bolts in the transom for towing. Make sure the bridle is short enough so that it cannot sink low enough to foul the prop. You can then use a bowline knot to attach a tow rope to the rope bridle and it can slide from side to side along the rope bridle during turns. I've used that setup to tow sailing dinghies and other powerboats, but it would also work fine for towing ringos and other towable toys.

A roll bar / A frame is a lot of extra weight on the stern of a small boat. I've always found boats around the 4m size to be affected considerably by fore / aft weight distribution. An A frame could completely mess up the handling and make the boat far too stern heavy.