Page 1 of 1

Dorset launch sites (with or without wheels).

Posted: 16 Aug 2020, 10:26
by grommet
Hi. New member here, looks like a very useful forum :thumbsup .

I am looking forward to getting out soon on my new F-RIB. I will be launching mostly around Poole Harbour, Christchurch, and probably as far west as Lulworth. I would love to get any tips on good places to launch with close by parking. I am hoping to get launch wheels but having difficulty finding what I want so may have to do without to begin with. I would like the removable beach master wheels as when folded the boat just fits in my car without folding the seats down, so probably wouldn't fit without removing the wheels first. I haven't tried boat and engine together yet so that could be interesting. Ideally I want to be able to get a couple of passengers in the back.

Re: Dorset launch sites (with or without wheels).

Posted: 17 Aug 2020, 13:17
by PeterM
Afternoon - I would think that launching any FRib ( or SIB) with no wheels is a real painful experience :( . I don't it with a 2.3m SIB & that was hard enough . PLease do be wary of concrete and any hull coming together at all when its not planned can be an expensive repair and set your day off to the worst start . In summary get some launch wheels or trailer launch :) .

Where to launch ?

Christchurch - Mayors mead car park is a good spot - free to launch - just pay to park the car ( with limited free trailer parking if needed) . Nice river harbour / be aware of currents & depth in the 'run' at Mudeford

Mudeford - next to the RNLI station - much closer to the sea - but again can get busy . Pay to park only as I think the local council have given up trying to collect launching fees ! : ) Be wary of depth & current in the 'Run' - but you can get out to the Solent or Needles on the right day if you have your wits about you

Poole - Baiter Park Slip way - Free to use , but again pay to park car & / or trailer as needed . NIce harbour - river to Wareham , sea to Studland & beyond .

I have a bit of gap between Poole & West bay - so will leave Weymouth alone !

West Bay - big wide slip , gets busy but not much out to sea when out & the slip can have an annoying swell breaking up it to be wary of .

Lyme Regis - wide slip , can get busy - not much to see when at see ( unless you go to West Bay ! )

Not done much else before hitting Devon after that !

Re: Dorset launch sites (with or without wheels).

Posted: 17 Aug 2020, 13:23
by ChrisParish
We used to launch our Zodiac without launch wheels. We would place the boat at the end he of the water and then carry the 5hp engine down and place it on the transom.

This is approach is fine, but in order to do it safely you need an engine which you can hold in one hand and lift easily, otherwise you are going to slip, fall and damage yourself or the engine or both.
Our old 5hp engine weighs about 22kg and I can lift it easily one handed, but I would never consider walking anywhere carrying my 9.9 or 20hp engines. It’s just not worth the risk.

Re: Dorset launch sites (with or without wheels).

Posted: 24 Aug 2020, 10:14
by Sarah
:welcome looks like Peter M has given you comprehensive advice there already but any advice on Poole or Christchurch do ask. Another site at Christchurch to investigate is the Wick Lane slipway but I confess I haven't used it in a few years now. Useful guide here https://www.christchurch.gov.uk/country ... -park.aspx

Re: Dorset launch sites (with or without wheels).

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 16:10
by Scar
I can fill in the Weymouth gap for you .

For myself, the hassle free and usual option is Weymouth sailing Academy as at £16.70 for up to 4 metres it includes the harbour permit for Portland Harbour that you launch into and safe parking for trailer and car.
A choice of slipways, ample pontoon space and launch and retrieve at any state of the tide and an abundance of things to explore both inside and outside the Harbour plus, Portlans, Weymouth and a little further afield, Luworth and Durdledoor.

The academy has showers, toilets, Cafe at your disposal or you can stroll to nearby Osprey Marina to the Pub or a Cafe and look out over the Harbour to as far afield as Lulworth on a clear day.

The other option is the free slip at Castletown however, you may struggle to park your car, the slipway is a little lumpy and you will have to purchase a Harbour permit separately and from where, I do not know.

The Weymouth town Harbour slip is OK however, parking can be painful and finally, you have a slipway of sorts at Bowleaze Cove at the opposite end of Weymouth however, I find it treacherous as it is not kept in good order and there are large boulders just as you enter the water which, at low tide are a nightmare to negotiate.

Hope this is of some help to any visiting Sibbers.

Re: Dorset launch sites (with or without wheels).

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 16:40
by Alan
I have tried about every type of motor trolley for my 20hp Mercury EFI 4 stroke. It is about 100 lbs and was something I could easily pick up in my youth is a little more effort than I want at 66. I have settled on a system that has a part that clamps to the skeg and a handle that is held by the motors transom clamps. It allows me to move it around or tip it on or off the boat.
71E7vfXhIfL._SL1000_ (1).jpg

Re: Dorset launch sites (with or without wheels).

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 16:46
by Alan
More Pictures
510LNghR8zL._SL1000_.jpg
61OmHjjiNNL._SL1000_ (1).jpg
61BuFSaYe2L._SL1000_.jpg

Re: Dorset launch sites (with or without wheels).

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 17:34
by sonny1
hi there @Scar , you mention weymouth sailing academy for up to 4 metres ,will they not allow anything bigger or is that just more money? im thinking of launching a 5150 rib .

Re: Dorset launch sites (with or without wheels).

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 09:11
by Scar
sonny1 wrote: ↑
25 Aug 2020, 17:34
hi there @Scar , you mention weymouth sailing academy for up to 4 metres ,will they not allow anything bigger or is that just more money? im thinking of launching a 5150 rib .
Any size craft can be launched there and with the greatest of ease.

Check out the website for price list.