Finally taken the plunge
-
Paul_Warren
- I'm New
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 20 Jun 2020, 13:31
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Kettering
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Finally taken the plunge
Evening everyone, after much debating I finally bought an Excel Volaire 390 along with a Mercury 20EFI and they are fitting some transom wheels to it for me. I’m picking it up on Thursday.
I’m going to look at running the engine in on the river Nene which is local to us.
Apart from the obvious life jackets, In your experience, what are essential items to keep in the boat when I’m using it?
I’m hoping it’s going to get used mostly in Devon for cove hopping and fishing.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Paul
I’m going to look at running the engine in on the river Nene which is local to us.
Apart from the obvious life jackets, In your experience, what are essential items to keep in the boat when I’m using it?
I’m hoping it’s going to get used mostly in Devon for cove hopping and fishing.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Paul
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Finally taken the plunge
Hi Paul,
The Voltaire appeared popular in here a while ago when some of the lads tried one out, I hope you find it suits your needs perfectly..
As the list of equipment needed/advised etc can become very extensive I’ll refrain from that right now and leave it to the boys on desktops...
Congrats on your purchase and Enjoy the forum
Martin
The Voltaire appeared popular in here a while ago when some of the lads tried one out, I hope you find it suits your needs perfectly..
As the list of equipment needed/advised etc can become very extensive I’ll refrain from that right now and leave it to the boys on desktops...
Congrats on your purchase and Enjoy the forum
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Ross-L
- Active Member
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 10 Dec 2018, 00:39
- Boat Make: Excel Volaire 390
- Outboard: Mercury 20
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Glasgow
- Has thanked: 23 times
- Been thanked: 9 times
Re: Finally taken the plunge
Its a good boat I have the exact same boat/motor, hopefully be out on mine next week and if I'm brave enough ill try for some tope!.
Make sure you take your weetabix though if you don't plan on using a trailer its a heavy lump imo a 2 man job
Make sure you take your weetabix though if you don't plan on using a trailer its a heavy lump imo a 2 man job
-
LandShark
- I'm New
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 02 Aug 2020, 13:42
- Boat Make: None yet
- Outboard: None yet
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Reigate
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Finally taken the plunge
Hi Paul,Paul_Warren wrote: ↑20 Jul 2020, 21:11Evening everyone, after much debating I finally bought an Excel Volaire 390 along with a Mercury 20EFI and they are fitting some transom wheels to it for me. I’m picking it up on Thursday.
I’m going to look at running the engine in on the river Nene which is local to us.
Apart from the obvious life jackets, In your experience, what are essential items to keep in the boat when I’m using it?
I’m hoping it’s going to get used mostly in Devon for cove hopping and fishing.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Paul
I’ve recently joined the forum in the hunt for the right SIB and outboard combo and in the course of my research I’d pretty much concluded that an Excel Volaire 390 with transom wheels and either a Suzuki or Mercury 20hp four stroke would be the right choice for me too.
If I may, I’d like to ask you a few questions about this about the few reservations I was having regarding this particular setup, versus the lighter Honwave T38 which I’m also still considering.
1. The weight - I’m fairly young and have been known to frequent the gym so lifting 65kg on its own may not be a problem, but in a large, awkward form I am a bit concerned about having to lug it in and out of my wife’s Q7 without either damaging the car or my back in the process. How do you manage with your boat?
2. Likewise for the 45kg engine from car to boat and back again?
3. Could I ask what made you choose the Mercury over other brands of 20hp engine?
4. I’ve read that the floor is not at all like a lilo even if it does look that way, could you confirm?
5. This may seem an outrageous question but what is it like to row? I’m asking because my most local river (Wey) does not allow inflatable boats with engines so thought a bit of a row with the wife and kids and a picnic might make an acceptable jaunt without having to drive too far. Likewise we sometimes holiday at lake Balaton in Hungary where petrol outboards are banned.
Any feedback you / anybody else with an RD390 could offer on the above would be greatly appreciated!
-
Alan
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 29 Jun 2018, 13:18
- Boat Make: F-Rib 375
- Outboard: 2018 Mercury 20 HP Short Shaft
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Farmington Hill Michigan USA
- Has thanked: 7 times
- Been thanked: 40 times
Re: Finally taken the plunge
Paul,
I have a 20 hp Mercury 4 stroke EFI and love it. The adjustable tiller clinched the deal for me. The motor is quiet smooth and quick off the line.
Unfortunately I am over 65 and have had one hip replaced and a serious stroke so engine lifting is an issue at 65kg. My solution was a simple cart that clamps on to the skeg with wheels and a handle that clamps on to the transom locks with small wheels. The motor can be tilted into the back or your vehicle and simply rolled in. the cart also allows the motor to be tilted on to the transom with no lifting!
I have found the Aquos EASTMATE Folding Marine Motor Cart from Amazon to be the best for my situation. I have some information at my office I will send tomorrow. While this is not a cart for doing oil changes, it is the best cart I have found to avoid lifting a motor or scratching my car. I have bought and tried most of the motor carts out there and have a pile of them in my garage to prove it.
I have a 20 hp Mercury 4 stroke EFI and love it. The adjustable tiller clinched the deal for me. The motor is quiet smooth and quick off the line.
Unfortunately I am over 65 and have had one hip replaced and a serious stroke so engine lifting is an issue at 65kg. My solution was a simple cart that clamps on to the skeg with wheels and a handle that clamps on to the transom locks with small wheels. The motor can be tilted into the back or your vehicle and simply rolled in. the cart also allows the motor to be tilted on to the transom with no lifting!
I have found the Aquos EASTMATE Folding Marine Motor Cart from Amazon to be the best for my situation. I have some information at my office I will send tomorrow. While this is not a cart for doing oil changes, it is the best cart I have found to avoid lifting a motor or scratching my car. I have bought and tried most of the motor carts out there and have a pile of them in my garage to prove it.
-
Alan
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 29 Jun 2018, 13:18
- Boat Make: F-Rib 375
- Outboard: 2018 Mercury 20 HP Short Shaft
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Farmington Hill Michigan USA
- Has thanked: 7 times
- Been thanked: 40 times
Re: Finally taken the plunge
Paul,
I will still send some detailed cart info tomorrow but I did find a picture from the day I unboxed it.
I will still send some detailed cart info tomorrow but I did find a picture from the day I unboxed it.
-
LandShark
- I'm New
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 02 Aug 2020, 13:42
- Boat Make: None yet
- Outboard: None yet
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Reigate
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Finally taken the plunge
Thanks for the pics Alan, looks a very useful bit of kit!
How do you manage the weight and size of the deflated boat?
How do you manage the weight and size of the deflated boat?
-
Alan
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 29 Jun 2018, 13:18
- Boat Make: F-Rib 375
- Outboard: 2018 Mercury 20 HP Short Shaft
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Farmington Hill Michigan USA
- Has thanked: 7 times
- Been thanked: 40 times
Re: Finally taken the plunge
LandShark,
I use a simple hand cart to move it like you would a sack of cement. Since I store and use it at my cottage on lake Huron I do not need to put it in the back of a vehicle most of the time. The few times I did need to move it I used the following procedure.
1. Put an old sheet in the back of the vehicle to protect the vehicle and reduce friction.
2. Load the folded boat onto the hand cart.
3. Roll the cart with the boat to the rear of the vehicle.
4. Push the top of the folded boat toward the open vehicle and allow it to lean into the opening.
5. Lift the bottom toward the open vehicle and roll it partially into the vehicle.
6. Then pull the old bed sheet from inside the vehicle to pull it inside. (or you can push from outside the vehicle)
7. This is the most important step.... shut the door and enjoy an adult beverage!
I use a simple hand cart to move it like you would a sack of cement. Since I store and use it at my cottage on lake Huron I do not need to put it in the back of a vehicle most of the time. The few times I did need to move it I used the following procedure.
1. Put an old sheet in the back of the vehicle to protect the vehicle and reduce friction.
2. Load the folded boat onto the hand cart.
3. Roll the cart with the boat to the rear of the vehicle.
4. Push the top of the folded boat toward the open vehicle and allow it to lean into the opening.
5. Lift the bottom toward the open vehicle and roll it partially into the vehicle.
6. Then pull the old bed sheet from inside the vehicle to pull it inside. (or you can push from outside the vehicle)
7. This is the most important step.... shut the door and enjoy an adult beverage!



