Page 1 of 1

boat cover for when on mooring

Posted: 17 Jun 2020, 09:05
by Devondafty
Hello Folks, Bit of a double question for you.

Im just getting my Zodiak mk1 classic out and have organized a mooring on instow beach in north devon. It will dry out for 6 hours at low tide and seeing as its a popular beach for families you do get quite a few interested children and wandering hands.
Ill be able to get out fishing for 5 or 6 hours which is plenty for the estuary, and seeing as I can only cross the bar for 2 hrs before and after high water it'll be good enough for me.

I could do with a cover which would protect my bits and bobs in the boat (nothing expensive, just ropes, etc), prevent rain filling it up and reduce the seagull crap everywhere. Most covers look light duty to protect the boat when tucked behind the garage on a trailer!

Does anyone have any advice regarding covers? I might put something in place, perhaps plastic tube from bow to stern, to try and keep the cover up like a tent thus allow shedding of rain rather than pooling.

Ive had a search on the forum but not come up with anything suitable (but that may have been my ineptitude).

Many thanks,

Ian

Re: boat cover for when on mooring

Posted: 17 Jun 2020, 12:43
by harrison
Can’t think of anything off the shelf as suitable to be honest. Many on here, including myself, favour Ducksback covers https://ducksback.co.uk/boat-covers/

Good quality, lightweight, waterproof and breathable are good value but the straps, as with most, go under the boat.

I fear that for regular use on a mooring a tailor made heavier duty cover that clips onto the rubbing strake may be more suitable. Expensive though.

Re: boat cover for when on mooring

Posted: 18 Jun 2020, 07:30
by Martin
Yup, I’ll 2nd the ducksback for price/fit and convenience.
If you were able to knock up a small under cover frame to run bow to stern it’ll stop the cover sagging and puddling occurring.
My ducksback cover is fitted when I tow, it’s now about 3yr old so certainly proving to be of a hardy build.

Martin :cheers

Re: boat cover for when on mooring

Posted: 18 Jun 2020, 11:54
by Sarah
Ducksback do seem to get a good write up from many

I would love to get a full cover for our rib but the rubbing strake is rounded so you can't clip onto it.

I'd be interested to see what solutions you come up with.

Re: boat cover for when on mooring

Posted: 18 Jun 2020, 18:05
by Devondafty
Brilliant. Thanks very much. I've just ordered one. I realised it will be as the tide is dropping I put it back on the mooring so it's likely I'll have access to passing the straps under quite easily.

I can knock a pop up tent type support for underneath out of speedfit fittings and 15mm plastic barrier pipe. I'll have a go, and if it's not tragic I'll post a pic! The good thing about JG speedfit is you can demount and refit them again and again. You can make joints etc in seconds and get it right. The. Take it apart in a flash and it'll sit at the base of the tubes out of the way.

Thanks very much.

Re: boat cover for when on mooring

Posted: 18 Jun 2020, 18:59
by Deford
Here's my T38 on it's trailer ready to go with the engine mounted and covered with a size 2 ducksback cover. There's plenty of room to fit the tubes completely. I'll take a support to prop the cover up from bow to stern the next time I'm down there.

Re: boat cover for when on mooring

Posted: 20 Oct 2020, 14:25
by lauraawalker
Trailerable Boat Cover of iCover. Got me through my first year and so far so good. Standing water does leak through. Showing some fading from the sun. I bought URL it large to help cover further down the sides and cover the motor. Was a good idea, but it still doesn't protect the sides from the sun as much as I had hoped. east to get on and off. I am happy so far and would purchase again. Highly recommend !!!