Page 1 of 1

Launching from remote sites

Posted: 05 Nov 2019, 12:07
by Moonshadow
OK, so I have just joined this forum and I am not quite sure whether this section is the right place for my question.

Having been a big boater for many, many years, both on inland waterways and the sea, I feel I would like to access some more remote areas which are just not doable with a big boat.
My tender has therefore been upgraded to exploring. I have a Zodiac Cadet 310 with wooden floor and will be using a Tohatsu 9.8 hp to go with it. This is now a little heavier than first anticipated but using a smaller and lighter outboard would probably not get me on the plane.
So the question is how to get this gear into the water launching from rough sites without killing myself?
Being also a deer stalker, I often use what is known as a wildfowlers sled to load the carcass on to and to drag the sled with the carcass out of the bush, woods, moor etc. to a place I can get my car to. These sleds are made from relatively tough plastic and because of their flat bottom construction, glide pretty effortlessly over any rough ground, over any mud and water without bogging down like wheels would. Wildfowlers use them to transport their gear like decoys, guns etc into the marshes i.e. they float like a small boat too.
Now my question here is; does anyone here have any experience of using these sleds for transporting their outboard and/or boat over rough ground to access the water? Personally, I see no reason why it should not work and be better than either wheels or manhandling gear. I also suppose that their size would enable them to be transported inside some inflatables on the floor as a sort of „floor tray“.

Re: Launching from remote sites

Posted: 05 Nov 2019, 12:41
by ChrisParish
My only real point of concern is transporting your outboard. It’s is a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke? If it’s a four stroke then you MUST keep the powerhead above the gearbox at all times or you risk damaging your engine.
Most of us use launch wheels or some kind of trolly although these aren’t great in rough ground. Maybe launch wheels with balloon tyres?

Re: Launching from remote sites

Posted: 05 Nov 2019, 12:53
by stevexxxuk
I know little about the sleds but for soft ground you can get those ball type beach wheels for the boat..

Do you need to plane?, could consider a smaller lightweight outboard say a 3.5 when you're not going far out.. A 6hp 24kg might get you planning but I was advised that it would not in anything other than perfect conditions on the cadet aero, the reason I went for the F-rib.

Re: Launching from remote sites

Posted: 05 Nov 2019, 13:09
by Moonshadow
Chris,
Yes it is a 4 stroke. I am not quite sure about the Tohatsu but my Honda 2.3 hp, 4 stroke has a rests on the one side of the engine cowling for laying the engine down on to ensure that oil does not leak. I am only getting the Tohatsu tomorrow so will know more then. But generally speaking the engine block will always be higher if pulling over relatively level ground when laid flat and if not or if there would be a severe slope then one can cushion the block up higher than the gearbox by putting something underneath. Theory at least.

Re: Launching from remote sites

Posted: 05 Nov 2019, 13:13
by Moonshadow
Steve,
Yeah, in any smaller area where I would not be covering any great distance I do have a Honda 2.3hp which is great in many circumstances. The 9.8 hp and thus planing would really be for more adverse conditions and longer distances etc.