What have you been doing, other than boating

The Bar...
Chat about anything here (within reason) Please keep it polite and PC
User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by Paul » 03 Jul 2017, 21:39

It'll make a dam good OB testing tank :idea: ........ the fish won't be happy though :whistle :sarky
>
>
>
BTW nice job Andy :thumbsup 8-)

User avatar
James England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1115
Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355
Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Contact:

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by James » 03 Jul 2017, 21:50

I've been busy working and doing exams.
Getting pretty tired of the exam now:-( Not quite reaching a pass mark on the practice tests. Mainly down to stupid US regulations. I am in Briton!
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by Stray » 17 Aug 2017, 12:13

Shiny new van to cut holes in. :mrgreen:

Image

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by Martin » 17 Aug 2017, 12:22

:mrgreen: I've been waiting for this Stray...
lots of piccies and info pls on a new thread ?
Very interesting :thumbsup
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by kaman » 17 Aug 2017, 14:53

Stray wrote:Shiny new van to cut holes in. :mrgreen:

Image

Like Martin says - lots of pictures please.

I really fancy doing a van conversion - and aim to do one, it's on my bucket list.

Think it might not see the job thru to completion if I started one just now tho.!

Her indoors would not be amused :lol:

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by Andy B » 17 Aug 2017, 18:00

Stray,
I've been meaning to pick your brains/experience on the subject of camper conversion?

I may be picking up a VW T5 in a couple of weeks, At the moment it's just a van.
Whats the legals with converting it?
If i go ahead with this i'm not looking at a full camper conversion, more a Day van with the option to overnight in it.
Do you have to re register it once completed?
Dose it require testing?

If i go ahead with this i'm sure there will be many more question ;-)

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by Paul » 17 Aug 2017, 22:10

Andy B wrote: I may be picking up a VW T5 in a couple of weeks
Andy, I'd never put you down as a surfer type of dude :eek
.
.
.
.
:rofl (sorry mate but I couldn't resist) ;-)
:cheers

User avatar
James England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1115
Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355
Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Contact:

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by James » 17 Aug 2017, 23:07

Andy B wrote:Stray,
I've been meaning to pick your brains/experience on the subject of camper conversion?

I may be picking up a VW T5 in a couple of weeks, At the moment it's just a van.
Whats the legals with converting it?
If i go ahead with this i'm not looking at a full camper conversion, more a Day van with the option to overnight in it.
Do you have to re register it once completed?
Dose it require testing?

If i go ahead with this i'm sure there will be many more question ;-)
I use to have an Astramax van back when I was still living at home. Living with my parents I didn't have a place to take girls friends too for :yay . I converted it for the option of overnight stays :lol:

My conversion was.... Spray the rear Windows Black, and add a mattress

The other upgrades I did
- Put a GTE engine (2.0) Redtop in and upgraded the chips in the ECU
- Custom made bodykit
- Scooby scoop
- Roof spoiler
- Leather interior
- Alloys
- Lowered it
- Fast and the furious neon lights
- Custom made straight through exhaust
- Astra GTE front bumper
- Re-sprayed it myself with 2-Pack paint

The van was bloody quick. I sold it, the next guy sold it, the 3rd owner (so I heard) used it as a getaway car, however I was told a piston went though the engine block.

Sad really, only photo I have is the one when I started modding it
Attachments
van.jpg
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by Stray » 18 Aug 2017, 09:47

Lots of good (and bad) info online on how to convert a van. For starters read what the DVLA specify needs to be done to qualify as a Motor caravan.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -motorhome

Mass loading the panels, to reduce vibration.

Image

7mm Sound and thermal barrier.

Image

16 mm thermal insulation. 35mm Dacron stuffed into the awkward places.

Image

A lot of commercially built vans only have 7mm of insulation.

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: What have you been doing, other than boating ?

Post by Paul » 20 Aug 2017, 21:28

I'll be following this conversion very closely as I cannot understand the commercially built vans pricing :o
Ok I fully appreciate the work involved BUT! if you've the skills it's a no brainer :idea:
My mate Geoff has just purchased his 'donor' van this weekend, so I'll give him the heads up :thumbsup
:cheers

Post Reply

Return to “Inflatable Boat Help, Advice, Discussions and General Boating Banter”