Honwave T32 + 9.8hp Tohatsu 4st + 265kg payload = 5 knots?
-
rogerblack
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 884
- Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
- Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
- Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
- MMSI Number: 235913495
- Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
- Has thanked: 209 times
- Been thanked: 240 times
Re: Honwave T32 + 9.8hp Tohatsu 4st + 265kg payload = 5 knots?
Have you tried it without some of the payload, i.e. without one or both of the kids and/or wife? Reducing that in stages may give you an idea of how far off you are in getting on the plane. As has been said, once you know if you're pretty close (i.e. just reducing by one child?) then you'll know how likely the finer tuning adjustments that have been suggested above might be needed.
cheers
Roger

“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”
Roger
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”
-
DavidA
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 12 Sep 2018, 09:33
- Boat Make: Honwave T32
- Outboard: Yamaha F6C four stroke
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: London
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Honwave T32 + 9.8hp Tohatsu 4st + 265kg payload = 5 knots?
I have a T32 and a 6hp Yamaha four stroke. I weigh 92kg and have half full 25 litre tank plus about 10 kg of other kit so 114kg all up. I can get on the plane and top out at approx 13mph at WOT. Half throttle is 12mph and quarter 10mph. This is only slightly reduced if I add a child weighing 30kg.
Engine weighs 27kg, same as your Tohatsu, so is easily transportable. I would say it is crucial to get all weight as far forward as possible, then experiment with trim settings. I set mine as the first hole out from the transom.
Engine weighs 27kg, same as your Tohatsu, so is easily transportable. I would say it is crucial to get all weight as far forward as possible, then experiment with trim settings. I set mine as the first hole out from the transom.
-
ben1979
- I'm New
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 03 Aug 2020, 16:01
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Portsmouth
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Honwave T32 + 9.8hp Tohatsu 4st + 265kg payload = 5 knots?
Thanks for all of the advice.
For reference, the test was me (65kg) on the starboard side rear tube, my daughter (25kg) on the port side rear tube. My wife (75kg), son (20kg) and mother (65kg) on the seat facing forward. Battery and fuel tank strapped just forward of the seat. Trim tab was set to 2nd hole out from the transom.
I didnt play round with positioning of people or less load as we were tight for time but we are off to the big boat this weekend (where the dinghy lives) so could try a few things. How does the list below sound;
1) check tube pressures and adjust as necessery.
2) Adjust trim to 1st hole from transom.
3) Reduce payload and gradually add to access how far off the plane we are. Will just be me, the wife and kids but can take one at a time.
4) Move weight around to aid getting on the plane
With 4), I have no experience of this but from what I have read - gradually open to full throttle and move weight forward until it planes, then reduce throttle to half (ish) and should remain on the plane. Does that sound about right??
Thanks,
Ben
For reference, the test was me (65kg) on the starboard side rear tube, my daughter (25kg) on the port side rear tube. My wife (75kg), son (20kg) and mother (65kg) on the seat facing forward. Battery and fuel tank strapped just forward of the seat. Trim tab was set to 2nd hole out from the transom.
I didnt play round with positioning of people or less load as we were tight for time but we are off to the big boat this weekend (where the dinghy lives) so could try a few things. How does the list below sound;
1) check tube pressures and adjust as necessery.
2) Adjust trim to 1st hole from transom.
3) Reduce payload and gradually add to access how far off the plane we are. Will just be me, the wife and kids but can take one at a time.
4) Move weight around to aid getting on the plane
With 4), I have no experience of this but from what I have read - gradually open to full throttle and move weight forward until it planes, then reduce throttle to half (ish) and should remain on the plane. Does that sound about right??
Thanks,
Ben


