Page 1 of 1

Hello Everyone. Georgia guy here!

Posted: 23 Oct 2020, 19:34
by millberry
Hi- My name is Charlie and I don't know much to tell you about myself except I am old and ugly! My most favorite thing I have ever done--and did it many times-was to take my boat from Columbus, GA on the Chattahoochee River to the Gulf of Mexico. Years ago I even started a forum about it. It's close to 300 miles and gets kinda spooky sometimes. You go a long time without seeing anybody or a house or anything but moss hanging from the trees and many alligators.
I joined this forum to see if I could solve a problem that I can not come up with an answer.
This river trip consisted of 3 locks to go through. Now--and for many years now--the first 2 locks are broken and unmanned. No funds to fix them. The river is still navigable (most months). The longest between gas stops would be 110 miles. I was wondering about an inflatable for 2 that could travel at least 20 mph and then the 2 people "pull" or carry the boat and engine aroung the lock? Transom wheels maybe? I even considered a front ramp boat with and atv in the boat. I just no absolutely anything about inflatables. Heck--have no idea if an old guy could carry an engine or pull it in a wagon or what? How heavy would the engine be? Well-you see my problem. Is there an answer? Thanks in advance for any of you whose mind grinds away at an answer.

Re: Hello Everyone. Georgia guy here!

Posted: 24 Oct 2020, 01:49
by Synergy
Hey there! I'm new here too =) Our use case is quite different, but the basic need is the same - we want a boat we can pick up and move without (motorized) mechanical assistance. I want whatever method we settle on to be able to transport the uninflated boat and accessories, as well as make transporting the inflated boat easier. I'll be following along to see what you discover - I'm convinced you can make this work!

Re: Hello Everyone. Georgia guy here!

Posted: 24 Oct 2020, 08:19
by rogerblack
Hi millberry (Charlie) and :welcome to the forum.

That's quite a challenge you've set yourself! I was thinking you'd want something very small and light so you can lift it out and carry it easily but then you talk about carrying an ATV onboard :scratch

How about going back to the old ways - forget the outboard, use a horse to pull you along from the towpath and carry hay instead of gas :yay

Seriously, I'm sure someone will come along soon with some more sensible suggestions and I look forward to seeing how this works out for you.

Re: Hello Everyone. Georgia guy here!

Posted: 24 Oct 2020, 12:08
by millberry
No No No---don't want to carry ATV. I just want to know if there is an inflatable/motor combo that goes at least 20 mph, carries 2 people, and can be pulled, dragged, or wheeled over good terrain for the length of a football field or 2. I am ignorant on this, but I am picturing either deflating and carry OR transom wheels.
I would have to have steering console for all day steering. I also "think" I would need a 3-4 person capacity due to having to carry extra fuel and supplies.