New member!

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
Post Reply
Dave 1 England
I'm New
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 Jul 2019, 22:15
Location: Surrey
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New member!

Post by Dave 1 » 30 Jul 2019, 22:28

Hi all! I’ve just bought a Mariner 4 with little 2.5hp outboard for rivers and lakes...love it! Although I’m now on the lookout for something bigger and more powerful (15/20hp so I can take it in the sea). I would love to know of some decent rivers and lakes to go on in and around the Surrey area.
Thanks everybody 👍

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: New member!

Post by Martin » 03 Aug 2019, 08:46

Hi Dave,
I'm not at all familiar with your craft, could you offer up a link or an image or two pls?

Enjoy the forum and don't be afraid to ask questions, we're all here to help.

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: New member!

Post by ChrisParish » 03 Aug 2019, 11:44

Hi Dave and :welcome to the forum!
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
Froglet Great Britain
Advanced Member
Posts: 269
Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 13:32
Boat Make: Honwave T38 ie1
Outboard: Mariner 25hp 2s, Yamaha 6hp 4s
MMSI Number: 235918142
Location: South Bucks
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: New member!

Post by Froglet » 03 Aug 2019, 13:04

Hi Dave and :welcome

I have a Mariner 3 and I used to use it extensively on the Thames before I upgraded. The Thames is a nice forgiving environment although can be busy on sunny weekends and you will need a license.

The Mariners are good solid boats for rivers and lakes, but as you may have discovered, can be fairly heavy to carry, especially if you have the slatted floor. My Mariner 3 has the inflatable floor so it's light enough (about 20kg) to carry on quite long walks to get to water. I did take mine out to sea with a 6hp engine a couple of times, but I really wouldn't recommend it. The flat floor and lack of proper transom are rather limiting.

I think the Mariners are a good way to get a feel for inflatables for a nice low price, but they do have their limitations. If you get the bug you will probably end up moving to something more sea worthy quite quickly.

Cheers :thumbsup

Simon

Post Reply

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”