Page 1 of 1
Hello from Hong Kong
Posted: 21 Apr 2019, 16:13
by Hong Kong SIB
Hi all,
New member here.
I currently live and work in Hong Kong, 17 years now. Thought it best to join the forum as I have just bought a 3.9m Bison SIB for fishing when i'm in the UK. I love my fishing, taking the new boat to Holland next month for a spot of fishing, hoping to take it upto the Lochs of Scotland and the Broads as well next winter.
Currently only have an electric trolling motor for it but looking for an outboard, so any suggestions would be welcome. Can't seem to decide whether a 6HP or the 9.9HP is the way to go.
Cheers.
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Posted: 21 Apr 2019, 16:30
by ChrisParish
Hello and

to the forum!
Generally speaking the advice it to fit the largest engine your sib / ability to lift / wallet can take.
It does depend on where you are planning to use the boat and the speed limits in those places - no point having a 20hp engine if you aren’t allowed to go faster than 5 knots.
If you looking at using the boat in coastal waters at all then I would go with 9.9 rather than 6. If it is just lochs and inland rivers then the 6 would be good because it is light, quiet and efficient.
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Posted: 21 Apr 2019, 21:45
by The Hobbit
Hi HKS and

to the Forum. In Hong Kong you seem quite local for the South of England meets but you may struggle with the Scotland ones. Joking apart, enjoy the forum and welcome aboard. Where are you based when in the UK?
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Posted: 22 Apr 2019, 02:47
by Hong Kong SIB
Thanks for the replies chaps.
I am based in Lymington, Hants when i'm back in the UK. Being close to the sea I will take Chris's advice and put a 9.9 on the SIB as I might take it out for a spot of Mackerel fishing.
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Posted: 22 Apr 2019, 07:46
by ChrisParish
I got quite a few mackerel last year fishing out on the Solent, and caught a large bass out of Lymington.
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Posted: 22 Apr 2019, 07:57
by Sarah

I'm a Lymington girl originally - fab place - all the family still there and bizarrely all involved n the marine world in some way - Lymington kind of drags you to the water! I'd go for the bigger engine if you want to go out on the Solent and assuming the boat will take it. Have fun and look out for the local meets when you're back.
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Posted: 22 Apr 2019, 12:27
by Hong Kong SIB
That's what I want to hear Chris, looking forward to that.
Decided to but an 8HP engine today, i'll probably be fishing close in like Keyhaven etc for some Makereal so I hope the 8HP will do. I think I might take a spin down the Beaulieu river/lepe beach as well.
Thanks again for your comments.
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Posted: 22 Apr 2019, 16:55
by ChrisParish
I regularly plough the Solent and I only have 9.9 horses. Keep it light and you will probably be fine.