Hello from Hong Kong
-
Hong Kong SIB
- I'm New
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 21 Apr 2019, 13:54
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: hong kong
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Been thanked: 0
Hello from Hong Kong
Hi all,
New member here.
I currently live and work in Hong Kong, 17 years now. Thought it best to join the forum as I have just bought a 3.9m Bison SIB for fishing when i'm in the UK. I love my fishing, taking the new boat to Holland next month for a spot of fishing, hoping to take it upto the Lochs of Scotland and the Broads as well next winter.
Currently only have an electric trolling motor for it but looking for an outboard, so any suggestions would be welcome. Can't seem to decide whether a 6HP or the 9.9HP is the way to go.
Cheers.
New member here.
I currently live and work in Hong Kong, 17 years now. Thought it best to join the forum as I have just bought a 3.9m Bison SIB for fishing when i'm in the UK. I love my fishing, taking the new boat to Holland next month for a spot of fishing, hoping to take it upto the Lochs of Scotland and the Broads as well next winter.
Currently only have an electric trolling motor for it but looking for an outboard, so any suggestions would be welcome. Can't seem to decide whether a 6HP or the 9.9HP is the way to go.
Cheers.
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Hello and
to the forum!
Generally speaking the advice it to fit the largest engine your sib / ability to lift / wallet can take.
It does depend on where you are planning to use the boat and the speed limits in those places - no point having a 20hp engine if you aren’t allowed to go faster than 5 knots.
If you looking at using the boat in coastal waters at all then I would go with 9.9 rather than 6. If it is just lochs and inland rivers then the 6 would be good because it is light, quiet and efficient.
Generally speaking the advice it to fit the largest engine your sib / ability to lift / wallet can take.
It does depend on where you are planning to use the boat and the speed limits in those places - no point having a 20hp engine if you aren’t allowed to go faster than 5 knots.
If you looking at using the boat in coastal waters at all then I would go with 9.9 rather than 6. If it is just lochs and inland rivers then the 6 would be good because it is light, quiet and efficient.
- These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
- Hong Kong SIB (22 Apr 2019, 02:48)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
The Hobbit
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 724
- Joined: 10 Jul 2017, 15:03
- Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
- Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
- MMSI Number: 235904468
- Location: Farnborough Hampshire
- Has thanked: 100 times
- Been thanked: 174 times
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Hi HKS and
to the Forum. In Hong Kong you seem quite local for the South of England meets but you may struggle with the Scotland ones. Joking apart, enjoy the forum and welcome aboard. Where are you based when in the UK?
- These users thanked the author The Hobbit for the post:
- Hong Kong SIB (22 Apr 2019, 02:47)
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".
All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber
All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber
-
Hong Kong SIB
- I'm New
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 21 Apr 2019, 13:54
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: hong kong
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Thanks for the replies chaps.
I am based in Lymington, Hants when i'm back in the UK. Being close to the sea I will take Chris's advice and put a 9.9 on the SIB as I might take it out for a spot of Mackerel fishing.
I am based in Lymington, Hants when i'm back in the UK. Being close to the sea I will take Chris's advice and put a 9.9 on the SIB as I might take it out for a spot of Mackerel fishing.
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
I got quite a few mackerel last year fishing out on the Solent, and caught a large bass out of Lymington.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
Sarah
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 386
- Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 20:05
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 362 times
- Been thanked: 123 times
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
Please feel free to ask questions about training & RYA qualifications, if you're not local we will try to point you in the right direction!
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
-
Hong Kong SIB
- I'm New
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 21 Apr 2019, 13:54
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: hong kong
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
That's what I want to hear Chris, looking forward to that.
Decided to but an 8HP engine today, i'll probably be fishing close in like Keyhaven etc for some Makereal so I hope the 8HP will do. I think I might take a spin down the Beaulieu river/lepe beach as well.
Thanks again for your comments.
Decided to but an 8HP engine today, i'll probably be fishing close in like Keyhaven etc for some Makereal so I hope the 8HP will do. I think I might take a spin down the Beaulieu river/lepe beach as well.
Thanks again for your comments.
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
I regularly plough the Solent and I only have 9.9 horses. Keep it light and you will probably be fine.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.


