Hello from Wiesbaden

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Hello from Wiesbaden

Post by ChrisParish » 04 Jan 2019, 07:24

I am not sure if the motor can be moved laying down or if it has to be standing up
Most 4 strokes can be laid on at least 1 side. Also, the engine can be transported in the same orientation which it would be in on the back of the boat when tilted. It would be pretty simple to make a bracket to hold the engine in that position.

If you have 5 of you and you can all help move it then a 430 should be fine, but I think you would need a lighter engine - maybe a Suzuki 20 - as lifting an engine is a one person job because of the shape. It’s that or fit a crane to your tow hitch.... :whistle
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Hello from Wiesbaden

Post by Martin » 04 Jan 2019, 11:37

Outboard lifting can be done relatively easy with two folk..
One on the power head (carrying on correct orientation) and one holding the skeg.
It makes it so much easier as the prop doesn’t shave your shins 😂

Some of the smaller & more portable four strokes now have three sided storage, a great advantage that will no doubt escalate up through the power ranges in years to come.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Fly360 United States of America
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 35
Joined: 13 Jun 2018, 20:35
Boat Make: FRIB 430
Outboard: Mercury 6hp 4S. Yamaha 25hp 4S in my future!
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Hello from Wiesbaden

Post by Fly360 » 07 Jan 2019, 21:19

As a family size vessel I wholeheartedly recommend the 430, the extra space and seaworthiness will be greatly appreciated. For one man it will be too much to handle and unnecessarily big.

Its an important distinction to make because what works for a retired solo fisherman won’t work for a young family, and vice versa. I couldn’t make do with a 360 or smaller craft and I always go out with a partner so weight isn’t much of an issue.

That being said I searched high and low for a 430 class inflatable/motor combo and the FRIB is by far the lightest (and most expensive!). I could have bought a sib for half the price but the boat would be twice the weight and I’d have to run a huge, heavy motor to get the same performance of my FRIB. My kit will be under 300lbs and I’ll have help on boat ramps, that’s doable for us.

Good luck with your decision!
:waterski

Post Reply

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”