Martin wrote: ↑02 Jan 2019, 21:56
The E-Tec 30 is another rarely discussed item at the moment, I think most people are happy with 20hp Suzuki or Tohatsu efi’s .. Power to weight ratio is about as good as it gets, portability is key !
Martin, thanks for the warm welcome! I've been watching a lot of reviews on that motor and it seems terrific. I like the fact that it is so eco friendly, particularly since it is a 2-stroke which blows my mind. To your point however, weight and portability may be an issue.
ChrisParish wrote: ↑02 Jan 2019, 22:07
I would love to do a boating tour of Germany - my parents have cruised the Rhine a couple of times now on river cruises (not their own boat!)
The 430 is a very big boat and quite heavy. If you are going to tow it then the 430 with an ETEC 30 is a fabulous combination. @Shaun has got this setup and he seems to enjoy it very much!
If you want to pack the boat away into the car then my biggest concern would be the weight of the engine. Weighing in at over 70kg it really is too heavy for one person to lift and an awkward shape for two people.
Take a look at the F-rib 375 and a Suzuki 20. That is about the largest frib setup which can easily be packed up into a car.
Chris, that definitely helps, thank you. A little bit more about me, I have a family of five with two dogs, so I think we really need the 430 but I am also concerned about the size of that boat / motor combination. I would very much prefer to be able to put the boat on the roof of my van and the motor inside, than worry about towing it all the time, especially to Croatia where I am also going to be very worried about parking it. I am not sure if the motor can be moved laying down or if it has to be standing up (I imagine that it is less of a concern for a 2-stroke though). If it has to stand up, I have a hitch on the van and can load it on my hitch carrier but I am much less excited about moving it that way. As far as the weight goes, I have an extra 35 kg's on the boat or the motor, so I am not too worried about moving them short distances or lifting the boat on top of the van, but I think it's going to be really important to see them both at the boat show in a couple of weeks before I commit to that (my eyes might be stronger than my back actually is

).
As far as a boat tour of the Rhine, I would be happy to host! (assuming the wife approves). We live aobut 10 minutes from the Rhine, have a couple guest bedrooms in the basement, and have plenty of parking where we live.
Sarah wrote: ↑02 Jan 2019, 23:47
In terms of legalities and paperwork you might find this link useful as a starting point for Croatia:
https://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDo ... ailors.pdf Amongst other things I believe you may have to have compulsory insurance and carry ownership papers, along with an ICC - not sure what size boats this things relate to - may be exemptions for small boats but do check!
I understand in Germany the boating licenses you require will vary depending on where you are boating so I highly suggest you seek local advice and then also ask how you can use any local qualifications in Croatia.
Sarah, thank you for linking this! I did read it, and honestly it raised more questions than it answered, but I think that is a good thing. I hope to learn a lot in a couple weeks at the Dusseldorf boat show and imagine that there will be lots of resources there to help me and the fam get out on the water. Based on that document, I think a 430 would not be considered a vessel as it is less than 5 m's and doesn't have sleeping quarters, but I imagine that there would still have to be requirements with the harbourmaster in order to park it, etc. Having done a bit more research than when I first posted, I think that I would need a VHF radio

which requires an international radio license, yes?
chris moody wrote: ↑03 Jan 2019, 08:30
Are You planning on folding up the F-Rib and putting it in the car, or always trailering it behind the car?
Thanks for the welcome Chris, yes, I am planning on folding it up and putting it on the roof of our van with the motor either inside or on the hitch. Not sure if that is feasible or not, but that is what I am planning on now.
Thanks for the feedback and the warm welcome everyone!
- Adrian