Noob from the Beach at Bedford

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
solarsurfer
Boat Make: Honwave T40
Outboard: Suzuki 20HP efi
MMSI Number: 10

Noob from the Beach at Bedford

Post by solarsurfer » 11 Sep 2018, 10:52

Hi all

I currently live In land locked Bedford, previously I was born in Brownhills in the West Midlands, so I have always been 2 hours from a beach, so all this is new to me but interesting all the same. There is something about us lot from the Black Country about beaches, always taking our holidays in Blackpool or Rhyl, not known for its boating Mecca, but beer, bingo and caravans !

I am approaching my 60th now, and after finally paying off my divorce mortgage, I now intend to have a bit of fun on the water, seeing a bit more of this lovely, but sometime cold country we live in, before popping my c logs ! Watch out Scotland, lock up ya daughters, I'm coming back !

I have done my bits in boats:-
Liverpool to Belfast ferry (Not recommended)
South Wales to Ireland in the vomit comet (Not recommended)
Stranraer to Belfast (Recommended)
Felixstowe to Flisenden (cant spell that but recommended)
And finally my claim to fame about 30 years ago, Cornwall, to Scilly Isles in a 30 footer and a force 8. The bright full moon disappeared every 10 seconds, we sailed with the anchor light on, everyone was ill except me, but I was so bad I had to spend the first night in a hotel. I drove the thing on the way back, all by myself, during daylight in a force5-6 (So they told me) with my lifeline on, and was really proud I never hit anything, rocks included, or a tanker, AND we arrived at the right place !

So here I am, arrived from Google, and trying to get some advice. It's like buying a car and asking people who own and use the damn stuff has always been the best way for me go, so sorry if I keep picking your brains.

Hopefully I will meet up with a few of you for a beer some time.
Cheers

Solar

rogerblack
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495

Re: Noob from the Beach at Bedford

Post by rogerblack » 11 Sep 2018, 16:34

Hi Solar and :welcome to the forum.
You've come to the right place for help and advice, plus a bit of friendly banter.
Have a good hunt around the existing threads which cover just about anything related to floaty boating plus a lot more besides.
Sing out if you have any specific questions, we all love to chip in with our own experiences where relevant.
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”