Newport Vessels Catalina 12'6" Boat - Fishing Across America

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different floor designs, exampoles include - Air floor mat, Wooden/Metal boards over an Inflatable Keel or a High Pressure V Floor.
Post Reply
User avatar
Roadie United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Apr 2021, 01:31
Boat Make: Newport Vessel Catalina
Outboard: Mercury 15 EFI
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Kernville, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Newport Vessels Catalina 12'6" Boat - Fishing Across America

Post by Roadie » 26 Jun 2021, 16:13

Howdy folks!

I've been lurking around here as I put together my first SIB setup and figured it's time to post. I hope it's OK that I'm going to combine an introduction, build and questionable fishing stories in one place while on a cross-country trip with my boat.
Plus, there doesn't seem to be any Newport Vessel owners here so hopefully anyone in North America looking for some insight into this brand will find this post useful.

I've owned a few small aluminum boats in the past, I live on a Lake Isabella in the southern Sierra mountains in California. I also love to go down to Baja Mexico in the winter, camping on a remote beach spending days fishing and snorkeling.
The problem was I hate trailering a boat, it seriously limits where I can drive my 4x4 truck to get off the beaten path (find free public land camping) and in general is a PITA for long distance travels.

In my searching for an alternative boat I found this forum which has been very useful, though most of the models discussed here are not available in the USA. Still a lot of great information and a wonderful community. Thanks!

I wanted a boat small enough to fit in half the bed of my pickup (fridge/freezer ran on solar panels on then roof takes the other half) but large enough for tuna fishing 20 miles off shore in Baja and a little bit of comfort.
I ended up buying this Newport Vessels Catalina model, the price, size and other features seems to tick all the boxes of what I had in mind:
https://newportvessels.com/catalina-inf ... nghy-boat/

Image


One of the first things I did was cover the flooring with this $69 EVA foam from Amazon, better grip, soft on the feet and classy! :mrgreen:



Image



Image




Along with the EVA foam I used a seat pedestal I had making it quick release for transport using imbedded tee nuts (sealed up) in the flooring and knobs - no tools needed. The mesh seat also has a quick release to separate from the pedestal for easy packing.

A total of six Scottys base mounts installed, four glue-on bases - one on the bow for camera mount or Navisafe light, port and starboard in the center for rod holders and one on the port side at the stern for a quick release transducer mount. Two screw on bases went on the transom for net, rod holders and trolling when in saltwater.

Image


Image


Newport Vessels launch wheels, transducer mount from fishfindermounts (with DIY splash shield) and a 2021 Mercury four stroke 15 EFI with a SE Sport SE200 Hydro Foil. I made a spacer out of wood to get the motor raised 1" so it's just right on the transom, where I also used knobs for the bolts to attach the motor.


Image

All the knobs, Nav light and tools go into a Pelican case I installed a 18Ah battery for the Garmin EchoMap Plus with an SAE port for use and charging. The Battery charges from a DC - DC charger while traveling in my truck and is good for 4 days of use in between charges. Battery box and fuel goes under the bench for better weight distribution and space around the stern, I put some leftover EVA foam on the bottom of both to help with sliding around.

The Garmin unit is attached with a 1.5" RAM ball bolted to the bench seat.

https://www.fishfindermounts.com/produc ... -mount-kit

Image


Image


Image



Even though I have a truck, when talking about going on extended back country adventures space is still limited so I'm carrying the motor on the front of the truck in a cargo basket. I made an insert from wood, using dense case foam like is used for heavy gear in concert touring (Roadie!) for the head and a foam yoga block for the prop, secured with 2" straps and a Kryptonite NYC lock to the frame for good measure. My goal is to have a boat with me without sacrificing any off road capabilities and this works great to still have steep approach angles.

Image




Image




Here's a couple of photos on Lake Isabella where I live while getting the motor worn in, before I hit the road to fish across America.
It's really my dogs boat, I'm just the caretaker.

Image



Image



Image



Some thoughts on this setup and many photos of the Catalina on a wide variety of water coming next. :D

-Finn

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Newport Vessels Catalina 12'6" Boat - Fishing Across America

Post by ChrisParish » 27 Jun 2021, 21:23

Hi @Roadie and :welcome to the forum!
That is an epic first post and some fantastic pictures. I love what you have done with the flooring and the seat.
What is the device in the fuel line?

I look forward to seeing some more pictures as you work your way across the states!
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
Roadie (27 Jun 2021, 21:44)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
Roadie United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Apr 2021, 01:31
Boat Make: Newport Vessel Catalina
Outboard: Mercury 15 EFI
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Kernville, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Newport Vessels Catalina 12'6" Boat - Fishing Across America

Post by Roadie » 27 Jun 2021, 22:06

Thank you for the warm welcome Chris! :cheers

That UFO looking thingy in the fuel line is a fuel demand valve, which came with the motor.
I was curious about it as well when I unboxed it, here's an explanation:

It's to prevent engine flooding that is a result of new EPA required closed fuel systems.
EPA requirements for portable fuel systems no longer permit vapor emissions or ventilation into the atmosphere. As a result, these closed systems can build up pressure in the tank that forces fuel into the engine causing it to flood and leak into the water. Fuel Demand Valves (FDV) control the added pressure in these systems and eliminate engine flooding and potential fuel spray while connecting and disconnecting fuel lines at the engine. The fuel demand valve can hold up to 5psi of pressure and allow the engine to draw only what it needs without impeding normal fuel flow.
Prevents engine flooding caused by added pressure in ventless fuel systems
Controls pressure to eliminate risk of fuel spray when connecting and disconnecting fuel lines at the engine
Allows engine to draw at normal fuel flow rate
Compatible with ethanol blending fuels


Probably more information that you ever wanted to know about new American EPA rules and the subsequent way manufacturers are complying. It's only a matter of time before these regs make it over the pond if they haven't already for new outboard motors. Personally I'm OK with this closed fuel system, zero gas fumes both on the water or while in transport - and no spraying fuel while connecting even if the tank is pressurized from heat.

User avatar
Roadie United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Apr 2021, 01:31
Boat Make: Newport Vessel Catalina
Outboard: Mercury 15 EFI
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Kernville, CA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Newport Vessels Catalina 12'6" Boat - Fishing Across America

Post by Roadie » 27 Jun 2021, 22:49

Motor is now past 20 hours with a by the book break in and first service - check. (forgot to mention I installed a tach/hour meter on the Merc before it's first start)

Truck is packed, 2 covid vaccinations done, and affairs are in order to start heading East towards my family outside of Chicago. The goal - camp in remote places next to water for free and eat fresh fish. Oh, and drink lots of beer and maybe make a few photos.


Image



Image


First stop a full days drive from home is a camping area found on Lake Powell in Utah in the Glen Canyon National Park. This was a more popular area that's easily accessible but within a days drive. And not free :cry: only staying here 2 nights.
https://goo.gl/maps/p9g2RuNe45SKT25T9



Image



The first fish of the trip was far from epic... but the view certainly were.

Image




Image


Image



Image

warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Posts: 645
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Montrose -Scotland
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Newport Vessels Catalina 12'6" Boat - Fishing Across America

Post by warder54 » 28 Jun 2021, 19:25

Welcome Roadie - and WOW, great intro. I'm so jealous of your road/boating trip.
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

MaddogShady United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 08 Jun 2022, 20:42
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Houston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Newport Vessels Catalina 12'6" Boat - Fishing Across America

Post by MaddogShady » 08 Jun 2022, 20:47

How do you like the newport catalina? I just sold a 20' tunnel hull aluminum boat and am going crazy not being on the water. I was looking at this model along with Inmar boats, and even a sea eagle 16' FSK fishing skiff. Does it handle the chop and can you stand easily in it and leave it out in the sun? I am in TX so looking for something durable and dry. Any advice is appreciated!

Skanman United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 5
Joined: 08 Nov 2023, 18:01
Boat Make: Newport Vessel Dana
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 2003
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Upstate New York
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Newport Vessels Catalina 12'6" Boat - Fishing Across America

Post by Skanman » 27 Aug 2024, 02:52

I bought a Newport Vessels Catalina last week and I've set it up with my 2004 Mercury 10 horse two stroke, which fits this boat's 15 inch transom perfectly.

The boat was a bit of a struggle to set up the first time. The vinyl was a little stiff out of the box on a day in the upper 50s. That was the only thing I didn't like.

The good things: This boat seems very well balanced powered with my 10 horse motor, even though it is rated for up to 20 horsepower, I don't see the need for a heavier motor to lug around when we camp. Maybe I will want more speed, but not for now. With me alone the 10 horse motor pushes it up on a plane with ease and it tops off at 19 MPH. It can go about 15 mph with two of us (each 200 lbs). It's big enough for camping and fishing gear and holds over 1600 lbs in weight and carries up to 6 people, although 6 people is crowded in my opinion. I've never had a 12 or 13 foot boat that could carry this much weight or people. And it handled our lake's 2 foot chop easily with one person and smoothly with two. There is some very light spray coming over the front at full speed with two people in it. My wife says she likes it on a 75 degree day, but would have to wear a light water resistant jacket in cooler weather. She said she could feel the spray, but didn't get wet. Weirdly.
Newport Vessel Dana 8 feet 10 inches long (about 2.7 meters)
2003 Mercury 9.9 2 stroke outboard
Used for traveling around North America with travel trailer

Skanman United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 5
Joined: 08 Nov 2023, 18:01
Boat Make: Newport Vessel Dana
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 2003
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Upstate New York
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Newport Vessels Catalina 12'6" Boat - Fishing Across America

Post by Skanman » 27 Aug 2024, 03:02

Roadie, what did you use to attach your california registration numbers? I tried to use a plaque kit with stick on numbers, but I am told that it is illegal in NY because the numbers and registration stickers are not permanently attached. Plus the plaque kit flops up and down and is annoying...
Newport Vessel Dana 8 feet 10 inches long (about 2.7 meters)
2003 Mercury 9.9 2 stroke outboard
Used for traveling around North America with travel trailer

Post Reply

Return to “SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat”