Page 1 of 2

Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 12 May 2019, 19:56
by Jakeyboy
Hi guys ,anyone know inner width between sponsons ?looking at an inflatable thwart but my boat deflated, anyone help?

Re: Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 13 May 2019, 02:36
by ChrisParish
The T38 tapers, so cant give you a figure without knowing where you want to put the thwart.
The Honda website state the inner beam to be 80cm but I don’t know where they measured that.

Re: Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 13 May 2019, 08:46
by Mitch
I would have thought that was at the transom Chris as it’s the widest point.

Re: Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 13 May 2019, 12:13
by harrison
Just washed the boat after the Warsash trip yesterday.

Inner beam dims;

800mm at transom
760mm at c/l rear seat 700 from transom
730mm at c/l rowlocks 1200 from transom
700mm at c/l front seat 1700 from transom
670mm at bow baffle 2030 from transom

Re: Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 13 May 2019, 14:11
by chris moody
How did the new T38 perform @harrison ? Any further signs of ventilation ?

Re: Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 13 May 2019, 17:16
by harrison
Hi @chris moody,
Slightly wonky T38 performed ok all day in the Solent chop yesterday until we exited Cowes late afternoon after a swift pint. Suddenly ventilating like crazy with no hope of getting on the plane. As before we trimmed down and all well again, albeit with a slight gurgling backing soundtrack. I’m now fairly convinced this odd behaviour is down to the combination of motor and hull...transom height/leg length. Nothing wrong with either, just don’t quite gel well together. I’ll do a more in depth explanation on my T38/Mariner thread.

In my opinion, having a slightly asymmetrical ‘wonky’ hull near the bow has no detrimental affect on planing performance. Luckily ChrisP was aboard most of the day and I think he’ll agree.

Re: Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 13 May 2019, 17:47
by chris moody
i think we should try your 20hp on a Takacat @harrison :D. :waterski

Re: Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 14 May 2019, 02:42
by ChrisParish
@harrison I do indeed agree. I thought the boat went really well.
I have been thinking about the incident when we left Cowes and couldn’t get on the plane. I think what happened was that where we were mored up under that bridge in the shade the tubes / floor cooled a smidge which made the hook in the floor more pronounced.
It does seem that the mariners are a bit fussy when attached to T38s. Mine (2007 9.9hp) and Mitch’s (20?? 20hp) both have to be trimmed all the way in.

Re: Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 14 May 2019, 07:20
by harrison
Yeah, good thinking @ChrisParish :thumbsup

A real fine line between working ok to not at all. Lazily, didn’t bother checking floor pressure at all during day but did overinflate initially to offset water chill.

Moral of the saga....bolt a Suzi 20 on the back of your T38 :rofl

Re: Honwave t38 inner beam width

Posted: 14 May 2019, 10:11
by Mitch
@harrison as @ChrisParish I have to have my trim on first hole.
I do the same as you in the winter but as the weather warms up I need to check out on the water, you’ll find the pressure was the reason because it’s so critical to make sure the pressure doesn’t drop even a few lbs.
Don’t forget that when you pump up the air going in is hot from the pump which will make a massive difference when cooled by the water.