Page 1 of 4

Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 19 Feb 2019, 05:07
by MauiBen
They seem like a newer manufacturer. Looks like high quality stuff. They use Valmex and the seams are welded. Haven't found any owner reports online yet.

https://truekit.nz/collections/home-page-collection

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 19 Feb 2019, 14:31
by harrison
Hi Ben,

Not seen these before, so apologies, cant offer any useful advice, sorry.

However, reading the tech specs my initial thoughts look good. Should ride and handle just like the Takacats as uncannily similar. Like yourself having welded seams would consider as a plus point. Also like the large diameter tubes (50cm) on the 330 and five air compartments...two per tube plus floor. Not clear on the Takacat site but looks as if each tube has only one compartment...perhaps not, as doesn't seem very sensible.

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 02:09
by MauiBen
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a Discovery 330. My first impressions of the boat quality are good. I put a 6hp Yahama on it. Took it out for a short jaunt today. It was blowing 15 mph and was pretty choppy, so I kept it short and didn't open it up. Will try again this weekend.

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 06:07
by ChrisParish
That’s a good looking boat, MauiBen. How did it handle?

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 07:33
by chris moody
That does look fantastic. I have the Takacat version.

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 07:55
by Martin
Hi BEN :wavey
I do like the look of these tak style boats, looking real good buddy.
It’ll be very interesting to hear your views of it once you’ve settled down in it.
I couldn’t help but notice the crease in the starboard tube, it looks like it may be a little short on pressure ?

Enjoy your purchase and thanks for sharing 👏

Martin :cheers

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 08:11
by harrison
Looks great Ben, loving the colour scheme.

Enjoy your new boat. :thumbsup

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 08:32
by chris moody
@harrison I can confirm that the Takacat is three air compartments in total, two tubes and a floor. I must admit six air compartments would be safer in my opinion (two in each tube and two in the air floor).
harrison wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2019, 14:31
Hi Ben,

Not seen these before, so apologies, cant offer any useful advice, sorry.

However, reading the tech specs my initial thoughts look good. Should ride and handle just like the Takacats as uncannily similar. Like yourself having welded seams would consider as a plus point. Also like the large diameter tubes (50cm) on the 330 and five air compartments...two per tube plus floor. Not clear on the Takacat site but looks as if each tube has only one compartment...perhaps not, as doesn't seem very sensible.

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 11:08
by PeterM
Good looking bit of kit . I don't think we can get these in the UK yet ( if ever :( ) but a good example of SIB development from the 'usual' . I think this style will become more and more common due to the advantages they give over the standard SIBS - but they wont suit everyone for everything ...

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Posted: 14 Mar 2019, 12:04
by Martin
I’m liking it lots, multi chambers on the 50cm tubes & floor, welded joints and a transom — it’s looking pretty nifty to me.
If I didn’t have the Frib I think I’d now be looking at one of those...

I’ll bet your well happy !