What have I done......fuel leak!!!

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different floor designs, exampoles include - Air floor mat, Wooden/Metal boards over an Inflatable Keel or a High Pressure V Floor.
Speedo Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 55
Joined: 25 Jul 2017, 04:53
Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Johnson 5hp 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Speedo » 09 Nov 2017, 14:02

I have a 1999 (I think) Johnson 5hp 2 stroke which is a little tricky to start sometimes, so I thought I'd strip and clean the carb.

Having never done this before, with assistance of Youtube, I carefully removed the carb, took it apart, cleaned it and then put it all back. I ran the engine (which started first time) and was extremely pleased with my new found skills!!!!

A few hours later I popped back out to the garage and could smell a very strong petrol odour. On checking the motor, it was clear that fuel was leaking (it has an internal tank) from somewhere and pooling at the back under the carb. I cleaned it up, checked the fuel line was tightly connected and left it again.

By morning the tank had emptied!!!! :shame

I figured I should replaced the carb gaskets before putting it back and that this was the problem, so I bought a gasket set (£25 for a few bits of cardboard!!!!!) and did it all again. I also added cable ties to the fuel pipe to ensure it wasn't coming from that.

The next day, although there was no odour, I took the cover off to make sure it had all worked and was amazed to see a small amount of fuel again at the back under the carb.

Has anyone ever experienced similar problems? Could it be the drain screw from the bottom of the carb (no washer or seal on this one)?

I wanted to avoid getting the pros involved and running up a big bill, but it's looking more and more likely!!!! :cry:

User avatar
Red5
I'm New
Posts: 9
Joined: 25 Jul 2017, 03:29
Boat Make: Zodiac 2.85 Cadet
Outboard: Mariner 4hp 2 Stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: South Coast
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Red5 » 09 Nov 2017, 14:40

Hi, I had this problem with a Marina engine, it turned out it was the fuel cut off mechanism, which worked on a rod from under internal tank to the carb end, it was the twist seal under the tank that was leaking, if yours has a similar arrangement it might be worth checking that?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Andy B » 09 Nov 2017, 16:51

First thing you need to do is find out where the fuel is coming from?
If there is no gasket on the float bowl drain then that would be my first guess.
Is the engine filling with fuel?
If so the chances are that the float jet isn't sealing.
This could be down to the tab on the floats not being set correct, damaged floats, or just down to a bit of crap in there stopping it seal when the floats are in the up/full position.
Easiest way to tell is to look down the venturi and see if fuel is coming up the needle valve,

Other than that it's down to the fuel lines or fuel tank.

like i said first job is to actually find out where the leak is :D

Speedo Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 55
Joined: 25 Jul 2017, 04:53
Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Johnson 5hp 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Speedo » 09 Nov 2017, 16:53

Red5 wrote:Hi, I had this problem with a Marina engine, it turned out it was the fuel cut off mechanism, which worked on a rod from under internal tank to the carb end, it was the twist seal under the tank that was leaking, if yours has a similar arrangement it might be worth checking that?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Thank you for that, and I'm glad I'm not alone!!

How would I check that, remove the internal tank?

User avatar
Red5
I'm New
Posts: 9
Joined: 25 Jul 2017, 03:29
Boat Make: Zodiac 2.85 Cadet
Outboard: Mariner 4hp 2 Stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: South Coast
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Red5 » 10 Nov 2017, 14:59

Having looked online I don't think the Johnson has the same set up. If you didn't have to remove anything else to get the carb off other than fuel lines, I would do a 'dry paper' test on them, basically get some thin paper or tissue paper and when theres fuel in the system keep wiping the end of fuel lines etc with it. You should be able to see where the leak is coming from.

Speedo Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 55
Joined: 25 Jul 2017, 04:53
Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Johnson 5hp 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Speedo » 10 Nov 2017, 19:09

Thanks Red5 I’ll try that

Rossymtb
Active Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 07 May 2017, 20:00
Boat Make: Honwave T38
Outboard: Parsun 9.8
MMSI Number: 10
Location: North Wales
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Rossymtb » 12 Nov 2017, 21:36

It also sounds to me.if it wasn't leaking before stripping the carb you may have upset the float level height and it's now not shutting of fuel. Therefore leaking constantly.

Speedo Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 55
Joined: 25 Jul 2017, 04:53
Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Johnson 5hp 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Speedo » 13 Nov 2017, 08:49

Rossymtb wrote:It also sounds to me.if it wasn't leaking before stripping the carb you may have upset the float level height and it's now not shutting of fuel. Therefore leaking constantly.
That does sound the most likely thing as it was fine before I dabbled!!

Will it be obvious if the float level height is out and is it easy to correct?

Speedo Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 55
Joined: 25 Jul 2017, 04:53
Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Johnson 5hp 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Speedo » 15 Nov 2017, 16:20

I didn't use any gasket sealer when fitting the new ones.

School boy error or not important? Could this be the problem? :shame

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: What have I done......fuel leak!!!

Post by Andy B » 15 Nov 2017, 17:18

Gasket sealer is the spawn of the devil!
There should be no need for the stuff if the gaskets and gasket faces are in good order.....
Especially on carbs where fuel is present.

Post Reply

Return to “SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat”