Spinning head!!!???!!

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different floor designs, exampoles include - Air floor mat, Wooden/Metal boards over an Inflatable Keel or a High Pressure V Floor.
Post Reply
bigfatfool
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 22:24
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Spinning head!!!???!!

Post by bigfatfool » 15 Jun 2017, 22:46

Hellooooo all,

I'm new hear... and will take the time to introduce myself properly when my heads not spinning so badly!!

I'm looking to take the plunge on a new (to me) so second hand sib plus outboard. Had a little old sib, more a tender with an old 70s yam 8a for a good few years - much fun in it.... but managed to bust the impeller housing the other year and getting a replacements been a PITA...

So anyways... always thought I wanted a bigger boat... and more power... fancy going bay to bay, having a wee blast, maybe try wake boarding, not get too scared if the sea gets up a little, maybe try going to the IOW... I was going to go for my workshop landlords 17 foot bow-rider.... but it needs a tailor... and as my misses pointed out... we have a long-wheelbase van... parking etc will become a nightmare... we like stopping for a day or two here or there... our jobs don't often allow for longer trips :-(

So... I've finally got a bit of 'spare cash' and I have some choices... so many many hours research later... I have more choices and less decisions... so... I'm hoping to find some help here?!

So here we go... in no particular order....

Boats:
seapro 4.2m alu floor
wetline 450hd
Honwave 40

And yes - I thought I knew I wanted the alu floor due to added rigidity and durability... but having read a few threads on here I'm now not sure... more head spinning!!!

and then there are my engine options....

a 1985 marine 20hp
johnson 30 (not sure on age but looks fairly new)
an Archimedes 25 from the 70s!!

So there we have it.... please help!!!

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Spinning head!!!???!!

Post by chris moody » 16 Jun 2017, 08:09

Welcome to the group. The Honwaves are well made and so far I've not met anyone that's been disappointed with their Honwave. I prefer the air floors for ease of setting up and ease of transporting, but if you are into fishing (you didn't mention fishing) a hard floor might be better with fish hooks all over the place.

Check the outboards for weight to make sure you can lift them in and out of the van, a 30hp is going to be a big heavy lump to lift and move around.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

User avatar
komplexpro
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 03 Apr 2017, 12:48
Boat Make: Excel SD-330
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 4 st
MMSI Number: 235901944
Location: Stratford - East London
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Spinning head!!!???!!

Post by komplexpro » 16 Jun 2017, 09:05

Hi and :welcome

I have recently purchased a Excel SD330 from http://www.excel-inflatables.co.uk ( recommending them as a happy customer ) from which I got a fantastic deal.
I decided to go with the air deck due the fact that it would be lighter and easier to move around, they also do other sizes on the air deck SD range.
Have a look at my setup https://youtu.be/V8tgo5S66oA
Hope this helps

bigfatfool
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 22:24
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Spinning head!!!???!!

Post by bigfatfool » 16 Jun 2017, 09:30

Thank you for your answers and recommendations.... I do not know anyone else with a SIB so I am having to try to work it out for myself! Which makes your forum brilliant :-)

The reason I am choosing between the boats and engines I have listed is because I am on a small budget, and I have found these secondhand for a price I can afford.

The reason I am looking for an alu floor is because my old 2.7m had problems with the floor flexing as it came up to the plane and when on the plane. I actually made up 2 metal stringers and mounted them to the floor to make it more rigid which helped.

Are the air floors good enough to use at speed in a 4m boat with a 30hp engine? My gut feeling says no, but I hope someone here has real experience of both alu floors and inflatable ones.

Also - does anyone have experience of the boats and / or engines I have to choose from?

Something I forgot to add last night... I know my set-up will be heavy... we might find it too heavy and annoying to set-up, but it is the size of boat and engine we think we want. We will use transom wheels. If it is too heavy and annoying we will sell it for a smaller set-up...

Many thanks... head still spinning a bit tho ;-)

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Spinning head!!!???!!

Post by Martin » 16 Jun 2017, 13:43

I'm an ex Honwave T38 (high pressure inflatable "V" floor) owner.
They are superb boats.. well built and well capable. The Honwaves T38ie & T40 max HP is 25hp, the weight of the 25hp is something you should be checking out. You'll find they're rather heavy if going down the 4 stroke route.

My opinion on the ally floor vs the high pressure v floor is..
If you feel a need to stand on a solid floor and you have the time and the patience - oh, and the strength required to lift it, drag it, set it up, pull it down. Great !

However, in a big fan of stick the bravo in the valve.. have a brew & chat whilst a machine does the work for you and then be on the water before the ally floor guys loose their temper and start effin:jeffin and wanging floor panels about in a rage :lol:
Seriously, not as bad as it sounds :shame but I am trying to make a point of you need two pairs of hands and/or a great technique to get it done anywhere near as quick as the air floor sibs.

On the water I don't think there's much in it tbh. :drive

Here's my T38ie review for you.
http://f-ribsandsibs.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=335
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

enzo200500 Japan
Active Member
Posts: 140
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 10:03
Boat Make: Robalo R180
Outboard: Yamaha F150
Location: Worthing, West Sussex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Spinning head!!!???!!

Post by enzo200500 » 16 Jun 2017, 16:26

My Honwave T40 is max 30hp Martin!

Although, a 30hp 4t engine would be a right old lump to lift about.
A 30hp 2t would be just about doable......

I use the Honda bf20 4t engine, and that only gets lifted from the transom straight onto the trolley.

enzo200500 Japan
Active Member
Posts: 140
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 10:03
Boat Make: Robalo R180
Outboard: Yamaha F150
Location: Worthing, West Sussex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Spinning head!!!???!!

Post by enzo200500 » 16 Jun 2017, 16:30


User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Spinning head!!!???!!

Post by Paul » 16 Jun 2017, 23:17

Hi bigfatfool and :welcome to the forum

My best advice would be ........... ease of use = more use = value for money :thumbsup

If there's going to be 2 of you at all times to lift, inflate and assemble the larger type of sib and outboard outfit then it'll not be an issue.
If however you may wish to boat solo occasionally it'll soon become a pain to use and your time on the water will reduce dramatically :( hence owners revert to trailering their outfit, which increases costs or selling up and starting the buying process all over again :idea:

You need to decide what you intend to use your boat for, what is its main function, how many will be aboard the majority of the time, then you can gain the best advice from the members who've 'been there' :chat

Fire away with all your needs, ideas, questions and concerns :thumbsup to hopefully find the boat that suits your needs first time :idea:
:cheers

Post Reply

Return to “SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat”