Portable transducer mount

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different floor designs, exampoles include - Air floor mat, Wooden/Metal boards over an Inflatable Keel or a High Pressure V Floor.
Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Stray » 02 Jun 2017, 14:19

One of these http://www.force4.co.uk/universal-adjus ... TFyXty1vIU arrived for me this morning. I'll need to drill a few holes and find a couple of half inch marine bolts, but it should hold the Totalscan transducer.

But I still have to decide where to put it.
WP_20170602_002.jpg

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Paul » 04 Jun 2017, 23:45

Just to chuck in my solution chaps as I really don't like drilling transoms unecessarly :no
If you like me have a packer/spacer behind your launch wheel bracket ..... reshape the packer to accommodate your bracket :idea:
IMG_0795.JPG
Packer1
IMG_0798.JPG
Packer2
IMG_0800.JPG
Packer3
Packer used is a Tesco plastic/nylon chopping board cut to suit your needs with short/shallow stainless screws to fix your bracket :idea:
In my case the Lowrance transducer is de-mountable so the bracket remains in place when folding the boat up, easy to install and doesn't have any effect on the transom wheel operation, whether it's f-rib wheels or after-market ones fitted :|
:cheers
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
Stray (05 Jun 2017, 09:18)

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Stray » 05 Jun 2017, 09:19

Exactly what I'm doing. I chopped the board yesterday but rain has stopped play.

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Paul » 05 Jun 2017, 21:19

Stray wrote:Exactly what I'm doing. I chopped the board yesterday but rain has stopped play.
Get out there and get it done ya wuss :whistle :lol:

Joking appart, this location gives little or no prop interference to the transducer I've found :D .......

....... my biggest problem is them dam fishes :evil: .... we won't go there Stray :stop :Boxsmile :lol:
:cheers

User avatar
Pete England
Veteran Member
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Pete » 06 Jun 2017, 18:24

Paul wrote:Just to chuck in my solution chaps as I really don't like drilling transoms unecessarly :no
If you like me have a packer/spacer behind your launch wheel bracket ..... reshape the packer to accommodate your bracket :idea:
IMG_0795.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG
Packer used is a Tesco plastic/nylon chopping board cut to suit your needs with short/shallow stainless screws to fix your bracket :idea:
In my case the Lowrance transducer is de-mountable so the bracket remains in place when folding the boat up, easy to install and doesn't have any effect on the transom wheel operation, whether it's f-rib wheels or after-market ones fitted :|
:cheers
Hello Paul :D Did you glue the chopping board on to the transom? And did you get your box? :D

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Paul » 06 Jun 2017, 20:01

Pete wrote: Hello Paul :D Did you glue the chopping board on to the transom?
Hi Pete
The mount for the transducer is part of the packer mate, so it's bolted into place via the launch wheel bolts. The residue you can see is the silicone sealant around and between the packer to keep the water out.
Paul wrote:
If you like me have a packer/spacer behind your launch wheel bracket ..... reshape the packer to accommodate your bracket :idea:
Pete wrote: And did you get your box? :D
Yes mate :D thanks very much :thumbsup
I did respond by carrying on the relevant thread Here http://f-ribsandsibs.com/viewtopic.php? ... 461#p18461
:cheers

User avatar
Pete England
Veteran Member
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Pete » 06 Jun 2017, 20:27

I read your other post after I asked :oops: :D

So it's silicone sealant, I was looking on line for some earlier but haven't ordered yet, will have another look.

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Paul » 06 Jun 2017, 21:12

Pete
When sealing threads, bolts, gaskets etc on your boat, make sure you use a marine grade silicone, there is a difference :!: :thumbsup
:cheers

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Stray » 07 Jun 2017, 15:38

Finally, a dry day. 8-)
WP_20170607_001_1.jpg
Just need some decent weather to try it out. :lol:


A video on good and bad Transducer positioning.
These users thanked the author Stray for the post:
Pete (08 Jun 2017, 15:44)

User avatar
Pete England
Veteran Member
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Portable transducer mount

Post by Pete » 07 Jun 2017, 16:22

Paul wrote:Pete
When sealing threads, bolts, gaskets etc on your boat, make sure you use a marine grade silicone, there is a difference :!: :thumbsup
:cheers

I bought this Paul https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 hopefully it'll do the job.

Do you know if using two part Araldite is OK for use on boats etc? I may be layering the chopping board if my plan works!

Post Reply

Return to “SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat”