What do you carry on your Sib
-
Sibfisher
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
- Boat Make: Elling KB 350
- Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Tui, Spain
- Has thanked: 113 times
- Been thanked: 95 times
What do you carry on your Sib
Being a new comer to owning a Sib also it will my first time taking it out when we can, Its time to kit the boat out so I need advice on what you need.
What essentials would you carry on your Sib mine will be used mostly on a River the Estuary & Inshore mostly for fishing.
What essentials would you carry on your Sib mine will be used mostly on a River the Estuary & Inshore mostly for fishing.
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: What do you carry on your Sib
This is what I carry:
Anchor
Rope
Tool Kit
Spare plugs
Spare fuel filter
Self amalgamating tape
Boat repair kit
Human repair kit
Torch
Spare batteries for radio
VHF Radio
Wind up torch
Smoke flares
Spare kill-cord
Money
Fuel
Oars
There might be more - I can’t remember.
Anchor
Rope
Tool Kit
Spare plugs
Spare fuel filter
Self amalgamating tape
Boat repair kit
Human repair kit
Torch
Spare batteries for radio
VHF Radio
Wind up torch
Smoke flares
Spare kill-cord
Money
Fuel
Oars
There might be more - I can’t remember.
- These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
- Sarah (16 May 2020, 12:15)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: What do you carry on your Sib
This is the standard kit I carry. I also have a radio.
- These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post (total 2):
- Sarah (16 May 2020, 12:15) • Sibfisher (17 May 2020, 09:32)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
Bugaboo
- I'm New
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 17 Apr 2020, 20:40
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Dorset
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 3 times
Re: What do you carry on your Sib
Hi
I carry a fair amount under the seat;
Tool kit inc clam seal, spare plugs (in a zip loc bag),kill cord and pull cord., tow rope and towing bridle, foot pump, spare life jacket, fog horn, dive mask, first aid kit and windproofs, few different thumb straps I think that’s it. then anchor up front, a knife mounted behind me on the transom, radio & whistle attached to my life jacket harness loop and looking at some form of personal rescue knife to go on the life jacket as well. In a separate dry bag would wallet, (phone in water proof-case), powerbanks and leads for both phone and radio, obviously food, water enough for the day and sweets in case in all goes peatonk. Hats and sunglasses. I’m sure there’s more little things but hopefully that gives you a rough idea.
I carry a fair amount under the seat;
Tool kit inc clam seal, spare plugs (in a zip loc bag),kill cord and pull cord., tow rope and towing bridle, foot pump, spare life jacket, fog horn, dive mask, first aid kit and windproofs, few different thumb straps I think that’s it. then anchor up front, a knife mounted behind me on the transom, radio & whistle attached to my life jacket harness loop and looking at some form of personal rescue knife to go on the life jacket as well. In a separate dry bag would wallet, (phone in water proof-case), powerbanks and leads for both phone and radio, obviously food, water enough for the day and sweets in case in all goes peatonk. Hats and sunglasses. I’m sure there’s more little things but hopefully that gives you a rough idea.
-
Bugaboo
- I'm New
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 17 Apr 2020, 20:40
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Dorset
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 3 times
Re: What do you carry on your Sib
Also forgot have a pack of laminated crib sheets I made up in a plastic wallet on the transom. With radio frequencies. Script for mayday and pan pan along with distance conversion and other handy bits of information
-
Sarah
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 386
- Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 20:05
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 362 times
- Been thanked: 123 times
- Contact:
Re: What do you carry on your Sib
On the RYA Safetrx App (Free) they have a safety checklist - not everything will be needed on a SIB but I think you can customise it so you don't forget anything on trips out. https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice ... fetrx.aspx
Please feel free to ask questions about training & RYA qualifications, if you're not local we will try to point you in the right direction!
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
-
Sibfisher
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
- Boat Make: Elling KB 350
- Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Tui, Spain
- Has thanked: 113 times
- Been thanked: 95 times
Re: What do you carry on your Sib
Thanks for your reply's, I now have some idea what I will need and the direction to go in and it is good of you both to put photos up as this makes it a lot clearer what I need.
When I bought the boat it came with Inshore Flare Pack, Anchor and ropes, Repair kit & 2 Buoyancy Life Jackets so I have a start.
What is best using in the Sib, Buoyancy Life Jackets or the Gas Filed slim ones.
ChrisParish seems like you have all that is needed I like the Itwit 10 Lt waterproof bag for the gear (How good is it and do you think that size is big enough) Do you have another bag for documents, Phone, Vhf and spare clothing Ect Ect.
Bugaboo You have a good set of tools there ready for a total strip down if needed, I like the idea of the laminated crib sheets for radio frequencies and information good Idea, in time of panic its surprising how much you forget.
Sarah Thanks for the link it looks like I have some reading to do but I am sure by the time I have studied what I have read and what the members have advised I should be ready.
I have enjoyed listening to the lectures this week very enlightening
When I bought the boat it came with Inshore Flare Pack, Anchor and ropes, Repair kit & 2 Buoyancy Life Jackets so I have a start.
What is best using in the Sib, Buoyancy Life Jackets or the Gas Filed slim ones.
ChrisParish seems like you have all that is needed I like the Itwit 10 Lt waterproof bag for the gear (How good is it and do you think that size is big enough) Do you have another bag for documents, Phone, Vhf and spare clothing Ect Ect.
Bugaboo You have a good set of tools there ready for a total strip down if needed, I like the idea of the laminated crib sheets for radio frequencies and information good Idea, in time of panic its surprising how much you forget.
Sarah Thanks for the link it looks like I have some reading to do but I am sure by the time I have studied what I have read and what the members have advised I should be ready.
I have enjoyed listening to the lectures this week very enlightening
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: What do you carry on your Sib
That bag is big enough for me and has proven to be completely waterproof. I have it strapped under the seat. I do also have a few larger dry bag, one of which will always contain towels, a complete change of clothes, water, food and some cash.
Regarding life jackets - I personally prefer the slim gas inflation style as I find them to be less intrusive. Also, I am not small and a buoyancy aid would make me even bigger!
Personally I use a manual trigger life jacket rather than an auto, because I just know I will slip over and wind up sitting on my arse in the water and the last thing I want is my life jacket inflating. You can get some which require you to be submerged in a minimum depth of water (hanmer triggers).
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: What do you carry on your Sib
Faith. Hope....and a shite load of RNLI donations (Charity)
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
-
Sibfisher
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
- Boat Make: Elling KB 350
- Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Tui, Spain
- Has thanked: 113 times
- Been thanked: 95 times
Re: What do you carry on your Sib
That is a nice boat you have there it seem that make of boat the Honwave to be very popular on this site.
I see decathlon have that bag and I have ordered one, how did you find the best way to attach your bag under the seat as I have padded seats on the Elling KD350, with the lists of things mentioned I am now putting it all together I will buy a bigger bag for Phone, Vhf and spare clothing Ect Ect. I would like one with a front pocket for documents. (Like the Human repair kit)
What is the make of slim gas inflation life jacket you have I have looked and there are a lot to choose from not sure what is good or bad.
I see your seat is set forward o you use an extension tiller arm and are they recommended so to distribute the weight when solo, looking on you tube I have seen them being used.
I see decathlon have that bag and I have ordered one, how did you find the best way to attach your bag under the seat as I have padded seats on the Elling KD350, with the lists of things mentioned I am now putting it all together I will buy a bigger bag for Phone, Vhf and spare clothing Ect Ect. I would like one with a front pocket for documents. (Like the Human repair kit)
What is the make of slim gas inflation life jacket you have I have looked and there are a lot to choose from not sure what is good or bad.
I see your seat is set forward o you use an extension tiller arm and are they recommended so to distribute the weight when solo, looking on you tube I have seen them being used.


