Slipways

Complain and get 'Good and Angry' Until your heart is content...We don't guarantee any replies though !!
PLEASE KEEP CONTENT WITHIN THE FORUM RULES, Rules can be found on the Index Page.
solarsurfer England
Boat Make: Honwave T40
Outboard: Suzuki 20HP efi
MMSI Number: 10

Slipways

Post by solarsurfer » 17 Oct 2018, 17:47

I have been researching/finding slipways and other places to launch from around Felixstowe.
Found one place on river Ore, run by (no surprise here) the council.
They want to charge £22.50 per day, for use of a bit of concrete, but the only place you can park is on council land, and it works out at £17.50 for a car and trailer ! RIP OFF or what !

Problem is, nobody that works for a council is a business person, and their attitude is to increase prices in an effort to attract new business !

Shame we cant demonstrate !

Talking about demonstrating, one of the fracking guys released today, lives over the road from me. His mom was a 60's demonstrator against nuclear weapons, and still runs around in psychedelic clothing, so no changes in their genes then !

harrison Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: XS500, Bic Sportyak
Outboard: Mariner 60, Mariner 3.5, Honda 2.3

Re: Slipways

Post by harrison » 17 Oct 2018, 20:01

Yeah, Rip Off. Welcome to ‘boatworld’ where most things carry a premium.

If you want free launching best not to have a big sib and put it on a trailer. May as well just go for a rigid hull boat. ;-) Unless of course you’re able to tow near water and hand launch from there. For many a year we dragged our, ever increasing in size, sibs over sand and dunes on launching trolleys/transom wheels for buckshee cost. Bleeding hard work though.

Now trailered, the local tractor launch (no other option in our bay) is £30 a pop or £500 a season, Ouch! Am I bothered, nope, it’s so easy and operates at all tide states. We stump up the seasonal fee and make sure we get our money’s worth.

Nearest slipway 4 miles up the coast is still £30 plus parking. :(

9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Re: Slipways

Post by 9-R » 17 Oct 2018, 20:11

That sucks! Are most areas like that for you?

Guess we're fortunate. There are quite a few public ramps on the lakes, rivers and down at the coast that are free to use. Couple of others charge but it's maybe $5. Some marina's charge $20 but they're rarely used.

Can be debatable I guess but sometimes I wish they did charge more. The ramps are very busy and it might cut down on the yahoos who shouldn't be out on the water anyways.
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

Return to “Having a Rant !”