Thames Slipway and Launching Sites

Please share your experiences of Launch sites, Parking & General site facilities
Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Re: Thames Slipway and Launching Sites

Post by Martin » 17 Jun 2017, 22:57

rogerblack wrote::wavey
I have some very short mp4 video clips but don't have Donny's skill in producing a mini-movie nor do I have a You-tube account - if there's another way of sharing them here maybe Martin can let me know.

:cheers
Here you are guys,

I hope you don't mind my little humour added...
I think there was a bout 17 seconds in three clips so I panned it out a bit :shame

ENJOY :lol:
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
rogerblack (18 Jun 2017, 19:50)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

John
Boat Make: 320(Jago)-cheapie sib !!
Outboard: F9.9 JMHS YAMAHA
MMSI Number: 10

Post by John » 18 Jun 2017, 07:19

:rofl
That's funny.
Very well made video, thanks.
All joking aside, I know there was no speed involved but it was a very nice day. I met Roger (really nice bloke) and off down the Thames through the locks and nice scenery and atmosphere. We will meet again soon, hopefully and when I eventually get an f-rib I will look forward to speeding things up!
Cheers Roger....Cheers Martin

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 18 Jun 2017, 07:27

:shame - Sorry John, I kinda gathered if you got on with Roger that you too would have a great sense of humour. As you say, he's a smashing chap.
Boatings not about speed buddy, look at this way.. you two were out whilst I was at home snowed in with paperwork. I know where I'd rather have been.

I'll just await my :Boxsmile from Roger in September :lol:
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Montana
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Boat Make: f-rib 330
Outboard: tohatsu 6hp
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Montana » 18 Jun 2017, 09:54

Launch and picnic site
can anyone give me the postcode of the picnic area in the photo please, and do you need any permits,insurance, also is there a height restrictions etc etc.

rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495

Post by rogerblack » 18 Jun 2017, 20:19

:wavey

Well done, Martin! You really know how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear :lol:

Thank you for the kind words both of you - Martin already knew I could talk the hind legs off a donkey, John now knows it as well :shame
John will fit in well with the crowd on here - really nice chap, good sense of humour and enjoys a bit of banter.

Montana, the launch site is Hurley Riverside Picnic Grounds SL6 5NE, further details here

http://www.hurleyriversidepark.co.uk/ma ... ic-grounds

Although they state the price as £10, on weekdays I've only been charged £5. The ticket is purchased at the residential park admin office by the entrance (note this is NOT the reception for the touring park campsite, which is about 1 km away). The ticket has a bar code which you insert into the machine before the barrier, which will then lift to let you in. You repeat the same procedure from the inside when you exit ( by 8pm latest or a release charge applies!). There is no height barrier, I went in my 2.9m high motorhome last week.

If your boat does not already have an annual Thames registration, you will need to buy a one day (£11), 7 day (£12) or one month certificate (£42.50) (boats up to 10 sq m)- full details linked from here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... on-charges

You can buy these from the lock-keeper at Hurley lock which is close to the slipway or from Marsh lock if heading towards Henley.
The locks are manned until 6pm, if later you will have to operate them yourself.

You will need to complete a form including a statement that you have insurance. If you are in an open boat with an outboard and no cooking/heating facilities etc then you are exempt from the requirement for a Boat Safety Certificate.

Note there is a 5mph/8kph speed limit and (as John will testify!) Environment Agency craft do patrol. The Thames is ideal for a gentle meander - if you want to go hooning at speed then better head for the sea!

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495

Post by rogerblack » 18 Jun 2017, 21:01

John wrote:Where did you go on the Thames this time Roger? was it Hurley again or somewhere else.
Still looking at Poole soon, just haven't had time for boating lately!
Hi John

Yes, took the motorhome over to Hurley. Took Mrs B up towards Henley - she enjoyed it OK, there was lots of wildlife again including geese, coots, grebes etc with young at various stages of fledging. However she wasn't keen on the noise from my 15hp 2-st which she said spoiled the ambience somewhat. :roll:

I did suggest she might like to row us back as it would be quieter but strangely she declined. 8-)

Spent most of the afternoon back at the picnic site watching the boats go by - loads of really fancy ones getting themselves ready for Henley Regatta in a couple of weeks. The couple with the hard shell boat with the electric outboard motor, who were there when we were, came silently back along the river - I did suggest to Mrs B that we could get a nice Torqeedo if she had around £1500 handy but she declined (she does that a lot!) :? :lol:

I've had a good look at Poole, handy that the Google Street view vehicle managed to go right through the carpark all the way to the slipway :thumbsup
Looks really good, especially since there are several dedicated motorhome parking spaces. Only problem is I've been busy today loading all the boat kit into the motorhome, ready to head up towards Scotland for the summer, so won't have a chance to try it out until after September now. Be good to hear how it works out if you manage a trip meanwhile though. Some good campsites nearby so may be worth a mini trip down that way.

cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

John

Post by John » 19 Jun 2017, 14:36

Hello Roger,
Glad you had another good day at Hurley. It is a good place for a day out on the boat.
Yes, I remember that couple with the Torqeedo. I wouldn't mind one for the rivers, but the price is steep. I need to spend my money on a new rib/honwave....that's priority.

Wow, nice to be able to just pack and go back up to Scotland for the summer :drive

Yes, Poole is my next trip when I can get there. I haven't had the boat out since I last went to Hurley with you. That's what's good about baiter park with a camper van, the extra large spaces for inflating the boat!. I will make sure if I get there soon I'll get some photo's and and vid's. Did you see the vid of Hurley that Marting put up ? :rofl :rofl

Have a great summer in Scotland!

Catch up with you later

John

Post by John » 19 Jun 2017, 14:38

Oh, I just saw you have seen the vid!
I'll have a read....

Montana
Boat Make: f-rib 330
Outboard: tohatsu 6hp
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Montana » 19 Jun 2017, 20:03

Hi Roger thanks for the detailed information look forward to a day out in the near future.

Froglet England
Boat Make: Honwave T38 ie1
Outboard: Mariner Marathon 25hp

Post by Froglet » 20 Oct 2018, 22:30

The launching conditions have changed at Hurley. Rather than £10 per visit the plan is to charge £150 for the year. Apparently this is due to the picnic grounds being closed to the public after complaints from the surrounding residents (about gridlock on sunny weekends) and from the Environment Agency about people taking the mick with barbecues and litter along the bank.

I was planning to give it a go as an alternative launching point to get me a few locks upstream, but as I'm unlikely to use it as often as 15 times a year it doesn't seem worth it. I will still give them a call to double check my facts, but my sources were fairly reliable.

Return to “Launch / Slipways & Information”