Trailer for the Aerotec

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
neil h
Veteran Member
Posts: 556
Joined: 03 Oct 2015, 20:34
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Toha 9.8 ss
Suzi 15 4/ ls
Yam 25 2/ ls
Location: North London/Essex boarders
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Trailer for the Aerotec

Post by neil h » 14 Feb 2016, 13:29

Reposted here to save hijacking Paul's motorbike trailer mod thread...
neil h wrote:Some nice tips in here Paul, Thanks :cheers

Have just done a deal on this, collection tomorrow. Somehow I prefer the idea of trailering it about; allows set up in advance and wash down when I get it home, without doing having to unpack and pack away again, much simpler. And with the launch wheels, never have to get the trailer wet.
3.JPG
1.JPG

Will need some mods for the Aerotec, probably a longer drawbar for a starters.
I figure the transom can sit on that rear roller. Maybe I'll add some bunks. At the very least I'll move those rear roller supports to the rear frame and change them to wooden pads for the V of the transom to sit onto.

More work to do :whistle

neil h
Veteran Member
Posts: 556
Joined: 03 Oct 2015, 20:34
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Toha 9.8 ss
Suzi 15 4/ ls
Yam 25 2/ ls
Location: North London/Essex boarders
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Trailer for the Aerotec

Post by neil h » 14 Feb 2016, 13:41

So picked it up today and pleasantly surprised. It's clean as a whistle, not bad for £220 :party :whistle
Towed home very nicely, although I could not see it behind the car, and had no idea it was there unless turning at junctions.

First jobs will be:-

1) putting in a longer draw bar. As ou can see from the pic, it is just bolted in, so I will order a new bit of 50mm x 50mm 3 or 4mm wall box section 2.3m long (about a 1m extension on the current), drill the holes for the fixing bolts, and it can be slotted into place. Bit of paint on it and it will do the job quite nicely, and being never likely to see salt water, shouldn't be an issue for much rust etc.
20160214_110851.jpg
2)moving the current rollers backwards. These will just unbolt and move, but they are currently on a 50mm axle, and will go onto a 25mm rear cross member, so a simple 25mm piece of wood will pack it out in the short, and knowing me, probably long term
20160214_110841.jpg
3) Need to get the boat unpacked and sat on top of it blown up, so off to see if I can find myself a small leisure battery for the pump, I can take out with me and use around the garden etc, as I currently use the car and I cannot get that into the back garden!

Will keep posting pics as I go for anyone mildly interested.

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Trailer for the Aerotec

Post by Paul » 14 Feb 2016, 14:10

Nice bargain Neil :party and clean as a whistle :star
Like you say, it won't take much to adapt it to your needs 8-)

User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Trailer for the Aerotec

Post by mattswan2512 » 14 Feb 2016, 19:35

neil h wrote:So picked it up today and pleasantly surprised. It's clean as a whistle, not bad for £220 :party :whistle
Towed home very nicely, although I could not see it behind the car, and had no idea it was there unless turning at junctions.

First jobs will be:-

1) putting in a longer draw bar. As ou can see from the pic, it is just bolted in, so I will order a new bit of 50mm x 50mm 3 or 4mm wall box section 2.3m long (about a 1m extension on the current), drill the holes for the fixing bolts, and it can be slotted into place. Bit of paint on it and it will do the job quite nicely, and being never likely to see salt water, shouldn't be an issue for much rust etc.
20160214_110851.jpg
2)moving the current rollers backwards. These will just unbolt and move, but they are currently on a 50mm axle, and will go onto a 25mm rear cross member, so a simple 25mm piece of wood will pack it out in the short, and knowing me, probably long term
20160214_110841.jpg
3) Need to get the boat unpacked and sat on top of it blown up, so off to see if I can find myself a small leisure battery for the pump, I can take out with me and use around the garden etc, as I currently use the car and I cannot get that into the back garden!

Will keep posting pics as I go for anyone mildly interested.
PAul that roller I have is the one in the top pick of this post from Neil if ya want it.
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Trailer for the Aerotec

Post by Paul » 14 Feb 2016, 19:40

Nice one Matt, yup I'll have it please and collect it from you on Saturday 20th at the Warsash event.
Obviously if I don't use any parts I'm given I'll return them to their owner.

neil h
Veteran Member
Posts: 556
Joined: 03 Oct 2015, 20:34
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Toha 9.8 ss
Suzi 15 4/ ls
Yam 25 2/ ls
Location: North London/Essex boarders
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Trailer for the Aerotec

Post by neil h » 20 Feb 2016, 17:37

Steel for longer drawbar collected yesterday. A 6m length cut to 2.2m for draw bar and the remainder cut into equal lengths. The two equal length bits are both longer than the drawbar bit. Not quite sure how that worked.

Side fence modified today to get trailers into back garden. The 3m horizontal boards are in 3 panels to be lifted in and out of place. Just need to work out how to secure them. May still make them into gates but B&Q didn't have anywhere near the selection of iron mongery they used to and wanted to get a short term fix done to get sib in and out easily.
20160220_151045.jpg
Its only done temporarily at moment, started pouring, will try and sort it better tomorrow.

neil h
Veteran Member
Posts: 556
Joined: 03 Oct 2015, 20:34
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Toha 9.8 ss
Suzi 15 4/ ls
Yam 25 2/ ls
Location: North London/Essex boarders
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Trailer for the Aerotec

Post by neil h » 21 Feb 2016, 18:43

Got the trailer sorted today, as a first stage anyway, pics below.

Side entrance sorted a bit more properly, will do until I decide to turn it into proper gates. Each of the 3 horizontal panels lift out for now and are very simply held in place by the panel below, and some swivel bits of wood to sides.
20160221_161921.jpg
New drawbar drilled for fittings, and hitch fitted temporarily. Wil be ftted to trailer like this for next weekend, then removed afterwards and painted. Would galvanising paint be best, or would hammerite be sufficient?
20160221_150423.jpg
Drawbar fitted
20160221_160512.jpg
Rear rollers set up
20160221_124918.jpg
Looks a bit high, now the floor has new valves, I can probably move all the rollers down 4" or so and the winch post forwards a bit.
20160221_161320.jpg
20160221_161258.jpg
But any more messing can wait until after next week.
I think it also needs a couple of bunks near the middle of the boat for support; but should be ok for now. And it won't have an engine on the back next weekend, as I'll just put the Tohatsu in the boot like usual.

Getting there, and a weekend well spent :D Time for dinner and a can or two :cheers

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Trailer for the Aerotec

Post by Paul » 21 Feb 2016, 20:30

Blimey Neil you've been a very busy boy this weekend :o
Looking great and as you say just a few minor adjustments maybe but it'll all work fine for now ;-)
You must be very happy with your efforts :party
Go have yourself a few well deserved :cheers

neil h
Veteran Member
Posts: 556
Joined: 03 Oct 2015, 20:34
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Toha 9.8 ss
Suzi 15 4/ ls
Yam 25 2/ ls
Location: North London/Essex boarders
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Trailer for the Aerotec

Post by neil h » 21 Feb 2016, 20:39

yes Paul, happy, and I still have 2 lengths of 50x50,4mm bar about 2.4m long to play with for bunks, although seems a bit overkill really

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”