Page 1 of 1

Fixing a wonky extension handle

Posted: 12 Jul 2020, 12:57
by DavidA
My extension handle kept working loose and falling off the tiller handle. I soon determined that the bolt on the clamp was not long enough. I needed a bolt 1.5 inches at least.
A visit to a chandlers was fruitless as the bolt in question was UNC thread an american standard and 5/16 in diameter.

I eventually sourced one on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-32-10-24-1 ... 2749.l2649

And fitting it solved the problem as the handle can now be slid completely into the clamp with no chance of it coming off. Engine is a Yamaha 6hp four stoke F6c with quite a fat tiller.

Re: Fixing a wonky extension handle

Posted: 12 Jul 2020, 15:15
by Oldman
I had exactly the same problem yesterday, I found a longer but not stainless 5/16 UNC bolt in my odds box & fitted that, but I also noticed the knob was too close to the clamp when tightened down so added a spacer and washer between the plastic clamp and knob on mine to make clamping easier with big fingers.
Great minds at pretty much the same time and just 50 miles apart :roll:

Re: Fixing a wonky extension handle

Posted: 12 Jul 2020, 16:27
by Oldman
Forgot to add the picture, made my spacer from a 3/4 tap washer drilled out, it squashes to take the angled shape when the nut is tightened.
yellow box just to hold the part for picture :)
SHYTH0~1.JPG

Re: Fixing a wonky extension handle

Posted: 13 Jul 2020, 12:21
by warder54
Neat fix, thinking of making one myself. From my preferred seat position I think I only need around 10 inches or so (Ooer missus)