Page 1 of 1

Diy upgrades to my quicksilver

Posted: 10 Jul 2020, 17:19
by bbutty
First thing I did was make a tiler extension so I could sit further forward. I used 38mm dia PVC pipe and 3D printed a plug for the end, a circular clamp to secure it to the tiller and a cap for the bolt so It can be removed without a spanner. I recessed the nut into the clamp on the design and just heated the nut up to press it in. Has worked well ever since and is easy to attach and remove. It can be adapted to any length you want by cutting the pvc to different lengths.

The only other mod I have done was to glue an extra handle below the metal one at the bow to make it easier and more comfortable for me to wheel it to the water using the launching wheels.

Re: Diy upgrades to my quicksilver

Posted: 10 Jul 2020, 19:05
by ChrisParish
Nice Job.

I recommend kite handles like these:
82CF97B6-A296-410C-BB2F-CD36B7D310A5.jpeg
82CF97B6-A296-410C-BB2F-CD36B7D310A5.jpeg (27.99 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Attach them to the handle under the bow with a carrabena and it makes the boat way easier to move.

Re: Diy upgrades to my quicksilver

Posted: 10 Jul 2020, 19:23
by bbutty
That's a good idea. If the new handle doesn't do the job then I'll be sure to give that a try.

I think the grey handle I have attached should be significantly better than the stainless steel one above. Glue will be fully cured tomorrow for its first test.

Re: Diy upgrades to my quicksilver

Posted: 11 Jul 2020, 22:15
by Martin
Nice job @bbutty - Hope it works for you.
If not, The kite handles Chris has advised are a world better than the painfull circulation killing metal bow handle, I don't have any myself but i have lifted and pulled a boat with them and they are a massive upgrade for peanuts ££££

Martin :cheers