Page 1 of 1
RAILBLAZA mount removal
Posted: 20 May 2020, 07:44
by eddzoid
A lot of people seem to have an issue with RAILBLAZA 3M glue on pads, including myself. I took mine off yesterday . Here is the amateur video I did to talk through the process.
Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
Posted: 20 May 2020, 07:56
by Martin
I think a lot of people rush the instillation and load the mount before giving it chance to cure.
Please don’t take that the wrong way, I’m not saying that’s the case with you but I have seen it in the past.
VHB (very high bond) is remarkable adhesive - mega holding power.
Did you use an abrasive pad on the tubes prior to instillation of the VHB mount?
The tubes below where the mount was originally seated don’t look to have been scored at all.
I purposely bought the VHB pads and fitted them without scoring to give me chance to actually use them for a season to ensure I was happy with the location.
I will refit mine with a new vhb pad after scoring the tube slightly so the new pad has something to adhere to.
Martin

Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
Posted: 20 May 2020, 08:16
by eddzoid
Hi Martin. I used MEK & sandpaper for the prep work. I weighed them down overnight. They started peeling from the corners. I have attached 2 Scotty mounts & another RAILBLAZA with 2 part Ribstore glue & they are still stuck perfectly.
Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
Posted: 20 May 2020, 08:56
by Martin
Great stuff,glad you got it sorted, with the prep you’ve done it makes you question- I wonder if they had a bad Batch..?
Mine peeled a little bit at one part but the main was stuck like sh!t to a shovel and that was with no prep apart from cleaning.
I agree tho. The 2part adhesive is deffo the way to go for permanent fixing.
Martin
Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
Posted: 20 May 2020, 10:07
by Mitch
I think it also depends on where your putting the base plate, if they are to be stuck onto a reasonably flat surface they’re ok but if sticking to the apex of a bend the pads aren’t brilliant, I used the pad for my front cleat & it was rubbish, just wouldn’t stay stuck so I used the 2 pack glue
Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
Posted: 21 May 2020, 00:30
by James
I have one on the nose of the boat.
Last time I looked it was still on OK, however I got them to send a new pad because my first attempt pealed at the corners.
So maybe they have a bad batch