Converted Frib into remote steering?

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
DrHair Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 90
Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 19:42
Boat Make: Frib 460S
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Warwick
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Contact:

Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by DrHair » 02 Feb 2020, 21:41

Just curious whether anyone has set up a console on their Frib (or sib) for wheel steering and speed control?
I've seen guys converting their old outboards into remote control on Youtube and seen adverts for Telex systems but has anybody done it?
I reckon my 460S might be doable fairly easily. Even the centreboard case could easily be used as a jockey seat and the location points for the mast might work well to lock a plywood console in place...
Image
Attachments
IMG_0783.jpg

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by ChrisParish » 02 Feb 2020, 22:39

One of the F-Rib promo videos from the early days shows an F-Rib with a console that they had moulded from fibreglass, but I don’t think it came to anything. It should be doable - if I had one I think I would investigate making a detachable console for long journeys.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by Martin » 03 Feb 2020, 09:51

If you ring Steve he’ll gladly sell you a remotes consol.
The early round BRITAIN challenge in a Frib had that set up, though the challenger failed miserably the boat looked great 😀

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Shaun England
Advanced Member
Posts: 182
Joined: 05 Mar 2018, 15:15
Boat Make: F-Rib 430
Outboard: Evinrude E-Tec 30
Location: Epsom
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by Shaun » 03 Feb 2020, 10:09

I am actually going to set up remote steering for my FRIB430. I have a complete plan set up for it. Busy transfering it into Fusion360 for some additional tweeking. I will be sure to take photos along the way and happy to discuss my idea if you interested.

DrHair Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 90
Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 19:42
Boat Make: Frib 460S
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Warwick
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Contact:

Re: Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by DrHair » 03 Feb 2020, 20:32

Not just me then who likes to modify stuff!
I'd be constructing the console out of marine plywood and removable although I think I'd have to leave it set up on a trailer generally as I can't imagine it would be a quick and easy thing to assemble just for a weekend trip.
Would certainly be interested in your progress.

Shaun England
Advanced Member
Posts: 182
Joined: 05 Mar 2018, 15:15
Boat Make: F-Rib 430
Outboard: Evinrude E-Tec 30
Location: Epsom
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by Shaun » 04 Feb 2020, 09:43

Martin wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2020, 09:51
If you ring Steve he’ll gladly sell you a remotes consol.
The early round BRITAIN challenge in a Frib had that set up, though the challenger failed miserably the boat looked great 😀

Martin :cheers
@Martin Steve who?

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by Martin » 04 Feb 2020, 11:22

@Shaun steve at f-rib HQ...
@FRIBBER is his handle on here but very rarely visits these days.
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
Shaun (04 Feb 2020, 15:35)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Rfbailey United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 6
Joined: 26 May 2020, 17:54
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Plymouth
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by Rfbailey » 26 May 2020, 23:29

Newbie question here but how easy is it to breakdown remote steering? I initially wanted something I could breakdown at the end of a season but not sure how feasible. Is it better to store on a trailer anyway?

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by ChrisParish » 27 May 2020, 02:26

It depends on the system you use. Cable is easy to breakdown, hydraulic would be more difficult. As to if it is better to store on a trailer; that is a matter of personal preference and facility. If you can store it on a trailer then you may as well - I don’t have that option as I have nowhere to keep a trailer.
However, I would say that if you have somewhere to keep a trailer you can get quite a range of rigid hulled boats for the price of an F-Rib
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

Shaun England
Advanced Member
Posts: 182
Joined: 05 Mar 2018, 15:15
Boat Make: F-Rib 430
Outboard: Evinrude E-Tec 30
Location: Epsom
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Converted Frib into remote steering?

Post by Shaun » 27 May 2020, 07:55

Rfbailey wrote: ↑
26 May 2020, 23:29
Newbie question here but how easy is it to breakdown remote steering? I initially wanted something I could breakdown at the end of a season but not sure how feasible. Is it better to store on a trailer anyway?
I am working on something that i can remove when i need to. It will likely be mounted to the floor and also attach to the rings where the guide rope runs through. Hope to start this project in the coming weeks. Well as soon as i can get parts.
These users thanked the author Shaun for the post:
IanH 72 (27 May 2020, 10:06)

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”