Another 12v Power Box
Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 22:09
I had wanted to do something a bit more substantial than a Tupperware box to transport the batteries for the Bravo and Garmin so, inspired by Digitalman's post and especially the YouTube vid he linked to, I ordered up a few parts over Christmas.
Very similar concept to the JDS Outdoors video but probably a bit simpler. All I wanted really was a power outlet I could use for the Bravo/Garmin and a USB outlet for "stuff".
Had 2 x 7.5Ah batteries already so wanted to use both rather than carry one in the Bravo bag and a seperate one for the Garmin. That way I only have one "Box" to carry.
Based on the "ammo case" approach this is where I have got to so far.
Case with main power switch and volt/amp meter on top so I can check battery and current draw On the side I have two outputs, one is a power socket and one is a twin USB. Both are made by "Blue Sea"and are marine standard/"waterproof". Both have a seperate power switch isolating them. The 12v plug is made by them as well and has a rubber seal on it so it seals when in the socket. Also inside the wires are secured with proper screw/clamp terminals, not something I had seen on stuff like this before.
Just an example of it all hooked up running my Garmin and charging a torch
Eventually I will wire the Garmin into its own 12v plug and make up another plug that terminates in Anderson connectors that I will use for the Bravo.
Inside it looks like this currently, The batteries are connected in parallel and mounted at each end to satisfy the OCD part of me that wanted the box nicely balanced.
They are then run through an inline fuse to the master switch/voltmeter. From here the power runs to the fuse box and then onto the individual outputs.
The main feed from the battery also has a couple of Anderson connectors plumbed in which will be used for charging. I will adapt my battery charger terminals to Anderson as well so all I have to do is lift the lid, plug in the connectors and leave it to charge. this was a departure from most of the YouTube vid's that use posts mounted on the outside of the case for charging/power distribution. i didn't like that idea for something to be used in a marine environment
Few bits still to do, batteries will be held by velcro restraining straps, sockets/switches need a bead of silicon applied to them to ensure they seal, not sure if I will use the socket mounting plates that are on their at the moment or just mount direct. The plates when bolted or glued would stiffen up the socket mount but if bolted introduce more holes that can leak.....
And will then tidy the wiring up a bit more......
Still it all works which is nice
Cheers,
Paul.
Very similar concept to the JDS Outdoors video but probably a bit simpler. All I wanted really was a power outlet I could use for the Bravo/Garmin and a USB outlet for "stuff".
Had 2 x 7.5Ah batteries already so wanted to use both rather than carry one in the Bravo bag and a seperate one for the Garmin. That way I only have one "Box" to carry.
Based on the "ammo case" approach this is where I have got to so far.
Case with main power switch and volt/amp meter on top so I can check battery and current draw On the side I have two outputs, one is a power socket and one is a twin USB. Both are made by "Blue Sea"and are marine standard/"waterproof". Both have a seperate power switch isolating them. The 12v plug is made by them as well and has a rubber seal on it so it seals when in the socket. Also inside the wires are secured with proper screw/clamp terminals, not something I had seen on stuff like this before.
Just an example of it all hooked up running my Garmin and charging a torch
Inside it looks like this currently, The batteries are connected in parallel and mounted at each end to satisfy the OCD part of me that wanted the box nicely balanced.
They are then run through an inline fuse to the master switch/voltmeter. From here the power runs to the fuse box and then onto the individual outputs.
The main feed from the battery also has a couple of Anderson connectors plumbed in which will be used for charging. I will adapt my battery charger terminals to Anderson as well so all I have to do is lift the lid, plug in the connectors and leave it to charge. this was a departure from most of the YouTube vid's that use posts mounted on the outside of the case for charging/power distribution. i didn't like that idea for something to be used in a marine environment
Few bits still to do, batteries will be held by velcro restraining straps, sockets/switches need a bead of silicon applied to them to ensure they seal, not sure if I will use the socket mounting plates that are on their at the moment or just mount direct. The plates when bolted or glued would stiffen up the socket mount but if bolted introduce more holes that can leak.....
And will then tidy the wiring up a bit more......
Still it all works which is nice
Cheers,
Paul.
